Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-13-2008, 01:15 PM   #1  

Default Ready to get back in shape journal.

Hello, I'm new here. i have struggled with my weight for as long as i remember and i'm tired and sick of it all. all i want is to be healthy. I'd like to start logging my food intake and exercise here to help me keep track of everything, hopefully stay motivated.

accually i started a high protein diet 6 days ago and it was going well.............ummm until last night. i kinda went on a binge. then after i felt just depressed and angry. sigh.

anyways i think its a good idea to write down what i had yesterday. i will log in today as well later on.

12/12/2008

-7 capsules of CLA(each pill has 1000mg of CLA(a fat that helps reduce fat and build lean muscles)
-1 cup of dry oats with one cup of lowfat yogurt
-1 Humongous salad with shredded cheese and chicken stips/lowfat ranch
-1 minute maid iced bar(like icecream bar)
-handfull of hot cheeto puffs chips
-1 orangs
-1 cup of brown rice
-1 grapefruit
-1 large bowl of veggie soup

then it the binge starts as i'm at a friend's house
-1 sliced tuna sandwich
-2 cheese sandwich
-lots of grapes(estimating about 6-8 servings)
-cantaloupes, strawberrys and watermelon with fruit dip
-3 Tamyas(fried crushed chick peas)
-AND CHEESE(I had handful after hand full of assorted cheese(maybe 12-15 servings!!)
-another large bowl of soup
-minute maid strawberry juice.

there you have it. i was definitely full, but went to bed empty, depressed and dejected.

I'm not started over to day, i'm continuing. just another rock in the road to overcome.

Last edited by Haven; 12-13-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Haven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 06:42 PM   #2  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

It's the getting back up and moving forward that gets the job done! It isn't easy for sure but so worth it in the long run. When you hang around here for a little bit and read the other's stories you see that no one has been perfect, everyone has fallen off the wagon a time or two (or twenty!). It is the people that come back here often, post for advice, vent when they need to, or when they are mid-binge AND celebrate the victories, that are the ones who are successful.

Good job posting what you did. It's good to post the good, the bad and the ugly!

Welcome!!

Last edited by Michelle98272; 12-13-2008 at 06:44 PM. Reason: \Forgot to add: welcome!
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:15 AM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Oh yes, what Michelle said...it isn't so much that the successful ones don't ever screw up...we do! We just come here, post about it, and move on.

I'm glad you've found us - Stick around here and keep journaling and posting.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:46 AM   #4  

THANK YOU FOR THE WELCOME AND THE OH SO TRUE WORDS!!

logging my food intake is going to definaly help me keep track of everything.
i weight myself this moring and my current stats are:
163.2 lbs
35.2% bodyfat

my goal is to have a body fat percentage of 20% or less.

alright today i was so busy the whole day. i wish i had had time to prepare my food before i went out.

12/13/2008

CLA caps(5 grams)
-1 cup of lowfat yogurt with oats and weetner
-2 scrambled eggs
-1 HUGE apple
-2 servings of assorted cheese
-2 bars of granola
-buttered popcorn
-1 meal replacement candy bar
-1 energy shot drink
-1 serving of pretzels
-1 bowl of soup
-1 serving of grapes
-3 mint candies
-1 cup of green tea
Old 12-14-2008, 10:04 PM   #5  

12/14/2008

4 grams of CLA
-1 large grape fruit
-oats with lowfat yogurt
-1 container of blackberries-about 2-3 servings
-brown rice with tuna
-pack of Oreo fudge cookies(the 100 calorie pack)
-1 and 1/2 bottles of those small energy shot drinks
1 gram of CLA
-Grilled chicken(2 breasts and 2 legs!!)
-1 cup of green tea
-2 scoops of whey protein

workout:

2 capsules of Nutrex Lipo 6
30 min cardio on empty stomach
10 min interval with weights alternating high jumps
20 min of abs---i bought the slendertone belt and i used it today. don't know if it will help, but i will not achieve anything if my diet and regurlar exercise are neglected.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:30 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haven View Post

alright today i was so busy the whole day. i wish i had had time to prepare my food before i went out

Ahhh. You see, right there is a crucial factor. One has to MAKE time to prepare the food. Extra time will NEVER fall into your lap. You need to CARVE it out. When something is a top priority, then one somehow, someway FINDS the time. I know for me, planning and preparing AHEAD of time has been on of the biggest keys to my STICKING with my healthy eating plan. It is a process though and ones eating does evolve as you get further into this lifestyle. All the best.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:46 AM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey Haven! Tell us more about your living situation. Do you live with parents? Roommates? Fix your own food? Maybe we can make some suggestions so you can do better with the food prep, eh?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #8  
To fly like Nadia again

S/C/G: 242/ticker/115

Height: 5' 0.5"

Haven, welcome! I just wanted to let you know that it might be a good idea to have a little snack before your work out because it's not advisable to work out on an empty stomach. It has something to do with what food stores are used up first, I think it's your glycogen stores in your liver and not your fat stores. I can't remember exactly what Jillian Michaels said on her radio show about it but I do know it's not the best idea to work out on an empty stomach. She says that it's good to have a little something about an hour or so before you work out so you have a little energy. So a little bit of carbs and protein like an apple and some peanut butter or a serving of cheese and juice, just something so you have a little something to push you through your work out and your energy sources aren't so quickly depleted and you can go longer and harder.

Keep up the good work. We all fall down sometimes it's just how we react to our slip ups and failures is what matters. As long as you look at it as a learning experience and take the lessons you've learned from it and apply it later on, it wasn't ever truly a "failure". I had a day like that yesterday too. I ate like a ton of my lucky charm cereal and chips and dip that my mom and I bought. Yeah, I may have eaten more than I would have liked from the chips and dip and other things in the day, particularly the cereal, but what I learned is that I cannot buy large quantities of foods that I abuse such as the chips and dip and lucky charms. If I want them, I need to buy like only single or double servings worth or buy the bigger one and have a little bit and then either give it away or get rid of it. Sure I was frustrated when I was going through and I was like "God, why can't I control this and why am I eating like this? I'm so mad." But then I calmed myself down and took stock of the situation and I realized that these things happen sometimes (and in my case it was due to my period that had just come ) and that I have to learn from it, retrace what happend to make it so that I don't do it again. I hope this helps! Keep that chin up you're doing great!!
gymlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Ahhh. You see, right there is a crucial factor. One has to MAKE time to prepare the food. Extra time will NEVER fall into your lap. You need to CARVE it out. When something is a top priority, then one somehow, someway FINDS the time. I know for me, planning and preparing AHEAD of time has been on of the biggest keys to my STICKING with my healthy eating plan. It is a process though and ones eating does evolve as you get further into this lifestyle. All the best.

I have been told this before and it makes sense and it is the practical thing to do.......

but as most things in life it is easier said than done. i hate to make excuses so i wont. it is my fault for not taking steps to make time to do this. i am however making baby changes to gradual change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Hey Haven! Tell us more about your living situation. Do you live with parents? Roommates? Fix your own food? Maybe we can make some suggestions so you can do better with the food prep, eh?

Jay

i am a student. i am living with my parents for the time being. i have morning classes that start at 7:00AM. I work part time and the weekends. right now I'm not going to the gym but i bought exercise videos and i like workout at home actually. its more private and i can actually focus on my workout instead of worrying about other things going around me as is in the gym. i'm a bit self conscious.

now my diet and workout program will be focused building muscle and losing fat. I am doing a combination of weight resistance and high protein diet. my diet is not exactly low carb, just high protein. i have purchased bumbells. i have 3, 5, 8, 10, 15 pound dumbbells that i use at home.

supplements i'm taking are:

CLA or Conjugated Linoleic Acid-it helps build muscle and burn fat. this works great if you have a high percentage of fat and so fat its working great for me.

Nurex Lipo 6-fat burner. i take them before workouts.

whey protein-for extra protein

Last edited by Haven; 12-15-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:10 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymlee View Post
Haven, welcome! I just wanted to let you know that it might be a good idea to have a little snack before your work out because it's not advisable to work out on an empty stomach. It has something to do with what food stores are used up first, I think it's your glycogen stores in your liver and not your fat stores. I can't remember exactly what Jillian Michaels said on her radio show about it but I do know it's not the best idea to work out on an empty stomach. She says that it's good to have a little something about an hour or so before you work out so you have a little energy. So a little bit of carbs and protein like an apple and some peanut butter or a serving of cheese and juice, just something so you have a little something to push you through your work out and your energy sources aren't so quickly depleted and you can go longer and harder.

Keep up the good work. We all fall down sometimes it's just how we react to our slip ups and failures is what matters. As long as you look at it as a learning experience and take the lessons you've learned from it and apply it later on, it wasn't ever truly a "failure". I had a day like that yesterday too. I ate like a ton of my lucky charm cereal and chips and dip that my mom and I bought. Yeah, I may have eaten more than I would have liked from the chips and dip and other things in the day, particularly the cereal, but what I learned is that I cannot buy large quantities of foods that I abuse such as the chips and dip and lucky charms. If I want them, I need to buy like only single or double servings worth or buy the bigger one and have a little bit and then either give it away or get rid of it. Sure I was frustrated when I was going through and I was like "God, why can't I control this and why am I eating like this? I'm so mad." But then I calmed myself down and took stock of the situation and I realized that these things happen sometimes (and in my case it was due to my period that had just come ) and that I have to learn from it, retrace what happend to make it so that I don't do it again. I hope this helps! Keep that chin up you're doing great!!

i hear you girl. in the past i would start a diet and i am doing great for a week or so and then i "fall off the wagon", get depressed about going off track and messing up my diet because of those darned chips, cinnamon buns, fries, or what ever. i would get even more depressed, mad at myself and eat even more of the culprits to "comfort" myself. this was a process for me over the years. and i finally just got tired of it. i wondered where i would be now if i had kept going. well i don't want to wonder anymore i want, I'm not going to wonder anymore because i'm gonna keep going this time.

also to address the snack before workout issue. i have don't quiet a bit of reasearch on it and the basic idea of cardio on an empty stomach is that you glycogen stores are depleted when you wake up in the morning. therefore with not glycogen which is what your body uses first for energy. so with low glycogen levels, your body is forced to revert to using fat for energy thus the idea of AM cardio. this is not for everyone of course but it works great for people with high fat levels as your body wont go into a catabolic state as fast meaning it wont revert to using muscle for energy instead of fat, so if you are a female with a bodyfat about 20% or more this would definitly work great if you want to reduce bodyfat quicker. i started with 38% bodyfat and now i'm a little over 35% without too much change in weight.

there are also contradicting studies to this of course. different experts have different opinions and both have good reasons but this makes sense on a scientific level, and will work if you your bodyfat is not too low.

Last edited by Haven; 12-15-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:17 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda
.it isn't so much that the successful ones don't ever screw up...we do! We just come here, post about it, and move on.
Amen to that. Check out the post I made on my blog this afternoon. This year has been a ride for me and I've not kept to my plan the way I should - but I have to remember that I've lost 70 lbs and kept it off and that's an accomplishment in and of itself. So I just keep moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
One has to MAKE time to prepare the food. Extra time will NEVER fall into your lap. You need to CARVE it out. When something is a top priority, then one somehow, someway FINDS the time.
I so totally agree. A very wise friend of mine once gave me a stern talking to when I said I couldn't find time for something. He said that when something is important to us, we don't "find" time ... we MAKE time. He said if you can't make time for it, then it's not important enough to you. At first I was resentful and thought he was being harsh ... but it really is true. If you leave something to "find time" then it obviously isn't important enough for you to prioritize.

Ok, those two things followed up with, I have a few thoughts about what else you've posted.

You said:
Quote:
my diet and workout program will be focused building muscle and losing fat.
Based on what you've written here, I don't really see a hardcore, high protein, muscle building diet in progress. I see a LOT of carbs, a lot of junky food, a lot of "bad" fat, a lot of processed food, and not a whole lot of protein. I personally would not consider this a "high protein" diet.

I kind of get the feeling that you're putting a lot of reliance on these CLA pills and less on food. My advice to you would be to ditch the pills (which are probably expensive), ditch the meal replacement candy bars, ditch the energy drinks, ditch the granola (which is nothing more that sugar), and really push whole, natural foods and more whole proteins.

I personally aim for 35% of my diet from protein, which works out to about 120g of protein per day. I eat a lot of eggs, a lot of chicken, a lot of fish, a lot of lean pork. I eat steel cut oats, cheese, and greek yogurt which has more protein per serving than just regular low fat yogurt. I don't use meal replacement bars at all, or energy drinks. In fact other than 1 cup of coffee in the morning and a Diet Coke in the afternoon, I drink water exclusively. I am for about a gallon a day, but that's also very personal and something you'll have to figure out for your body's tolerance. I will say on days I lift, I drink more because I sweat more.

The only supplement I use is a whey based protein powder that I use on workout days as an after workout snack.

There are a lot of things you can do to prepare food ahead of time to help with your schedule. Every Sunday I do the following:
  • boil a dozen eggs
  • make 5 peanut butter sandwiches (2 T Naturally More pb on 1 slice whole grain bread folded over) and put them in baggies
  • fill 5 snack baggies with baby carrots, sliced celery, etc. for snacking
  • make homemade oatmeal bars with a few scoops of protein powder for pre-workout snacks (not every week, but about once a month or so)
  • slice cheese and portion it out in 1 oz servings in snack bags
  • check that I have 5 apples for my morning snacks
  • cook 5-10 chicken tenders in my George Foreman grill so I have something to chop up and put in pasta or on salads for the protein
  • portion out my yogurt in small containers (if I haven't bought individual containers already)

I do a few other things that work for me, since I am living in my own house and so have more freedom to buy my own food and cook meals and so forth. I do a lot of prep for the weeks meals by pre-chopping veggies, precooking burger and chicken, and so forth.

But by taking an hour or two on a Sunday, I really set myself up for the coming week. I find that if I don't follow through with my Sunday routine for any reason, I really do have a harder time staying on plan. When I have food and snacks prepped, it really keeps me on track.

Hope that helps you some ... I know it can be overwhelming at first, so don't get discouraged. None of us here learned all fo this overnight. It's been a process and one I'm still learning!

Last edited by PhotoChick; 12-15-2008 at 08:19 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:24 PM   #12  

12/15/2008

2 lipo 6 capsules
20 min full body workout

-big bowl of grits
4 grams of CLA
-1 large grapefruit
-omlet( 3 eggs, 2 yokes)
-1.5 brown rice with herbs( it really tasty accually)
-1 grapefruit

2 lipo 6 capsules
25 min alternating jogging, fast walking, and walking lunges

-1 large protein shake(whey protein)-about 65 grams of protein
-1 pear
2 grams of CLA
green tea later and multi-vitamin before bed
Old 12-15-2008, 08:47 PM   #13  

Haven, again I'd really encourage you to rethink your diet.

What you just posted is NOT enough food for you, if you're working out hard. I did a quick mental summing up and what I get (assuming your portions are correct) is this:

1087 calories
158 g carbs
87 g of protein, over 3/4 of which came from a powder.

This is NOT a healthy eating plan. 1087 calories is not enough for someone who isn't working out, much less someone who is working out lifting weights and who wants to build strength.

I promise you, I know where you are. I really resisted the idea that I had to eat better and eat more when I started lifting weights. I also was consumed with the idea that I could take all these supplements and it would be a perfectly acceptable substitute for eating real food as well as "building muscle" and speeding up my metabolism and all that jazz.

I promise you again that it's not. You are losing weight now because you've severely restricted your calories, but if you keep going this way, your weight loss *IS* going to stall out and you are going to start losing lean muscle and damaging your metabolism.

In order to build muscle you MUST eat healthily. You must fuel your body. Eating too little and popping caffeine filled supplements is just not going to get you where you want to go.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of that kind of news ... I know it's probably not what you want to hear. But most of us have learned that hte hard way. There is no magic pill. Unfortunately.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:50 PM   #14  

PhotoChick,

those are great suggestions!!! i never thought about preparing for for the whole week ahead.

i am trying to make my meals whole food instead of processed. i am not going to rush into it those because i did that once and it ended badly. so i am making gradual changes, little by little.

i've thought about ditching the pills the CLA and lipo 6, but for now they help me keep going with my exercises. i've got into my head that my workout will be more effective if i take these. This idea has me actually getting up in the morning to exercise and in the afternoon or whenever. i didn't do much exercise before. i don't want to all of a sudden ditch them as they seem to be working, or rather the extra activity i'm doing is working because i see a change when i look in the mirror. for now, i don't want to do any drastic changes until i get my feet on solid ground so to say with my diet and exercise. as you mentioned they are a bit shaking, with my diet being not the best yet. but everyday, i am hoping to improve something and staying positive...
Old 12-15-2008, 08:51 PM   #15  

That makes sense. I still think the pills are not all that useful, but you know what - if having them makes you want to get up in the morning and workout ... go for it!

Just make sure you're fueling your body.