Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 10:49 AM   #1  
Losin It For GOOD!

Question Are you Getting Your Vitamins In??

Here is what you should have every day:

Vitamin A - Boosts immune function, can help protect against cancer. 700 mcg is RDA, Maximum amount 3,000 mcg. Found in eggs (96 mcg per raw egg), fortified milk. (or you need 5000 IU of this daily, as I have yet to find a multivitamin that lists this in mcg's) - essential for good vision as well as healthy skin, teeth, hair, bones.

Vitamin B - prevents anemia, helps manufactures red blood cells helps build genetic material. Folic acid has been shown to prevent neural tube defects during pregnancy. These three nutrients may lower your risk of heart disease and stroke, as well as improve poor cognitive and memory function
Folic Acid - 400 mcg is RDA, maximum amount is 1000 mcg. Found in fortified cereals and spinach (130 mcg per 1/2 cup.) It is reccomended that if you are in your childbearing years you take 400 mcg daily.
B6 - 1.3 mg is RDA, maximum amount is 100 mg. Found in fortified cereals, chicken (.5 mcg per 3 oz.) and pork (.4 mcg per 3 oz.)
B12 - 2.4 mcg is RDA, no maximum. Found in salmon (2.6 mcg per 3 oz.) Lean beef tenderloin (2.2 mcg per 3 oz.), low fat yogurt (1.4 mcg per cup).

Vitamin C - helps prevent heart disease and various forms of cancer, contributes to wound healing, immune function, the production of collagen (connective tissue), and healthy gums. Also helps the body absorb iron. 75 mcg is RDA (+35 mcg for smokers!!) more than 2000 mcg a day can cause gastrointestinal distress. Found in fruits and vegetables.

Calcium - essential for maintaining healthy bone density; promotes muscle and nerve function, helps blood to clot, may reduce symptoms of PMS, also may reduce your risk of colon cancer and hypertension. Ages 19-50 - 1,000 mg RDA. Over 50: 1,200 mg RDA. over 2,500 mcg daily can cause kidney stones and muscle spasms! found in milk products, canned salmon (205 mcg per 3 oz.) and turnip greens (100 mg. per 1/2 c.) Only take 500 mg at a time to maximize absorbtion.

Vitamin D - Maintains healthy bones by helping your body absorb calcium, promotes kidney and immune function, protects against age related bone loss. New research suggests it may help protect against breast and colon cancers. 200 IU is RDA. More than 2,000 IU daily is associated with heart problems and kidney stones. Found in Milk (100 IU per cup), and fortified cereal. Best source- exposure to sunlight!

Vitamin E - helps with formation of red blood cells, muscle, and other tissues. Higher doses can reduce risk of heart disease, breast, gastrointestinal, and lung cancers. May slow the progression of Alzheimer's disease, and may be useful therapy for diabetes and arthritis. RDA - 15 mg. Maximum - 1,000 mcg. Can interfere with vitimin K and enhance the effect of some anticoagulant drugs. Found in wheat germ (10 mg in 1/2 c.) vegetable oils (3 mg per tsp.) and nuts (4 mg. per 1/2 c. dry roasted peanuts.) - This one is best to get from a multivitamin!

Iron - crucial for production of hemoglobin which transports oxygen to the cells throughout the body. Iron deficiency is known for causing fatigue, decreased intellectual performance, depressed immune function, and disturbances in body's ability to regulate its temperature. RDA: 19-50: 18 mg. Over 50: 8 mg. More than 45 mg can cause gastrointestinal distress, liver damage, heart arrhythmias, and hinder zinc absorption. Found in red meat and fortified cereals.

Vitamin K - essential for bone maintenance and blood clotting. RDA- 90 mcg. Found in green tea, spinach (74 mcg per 1/2 c. raw), broccoli (58 mcg per 1/2 c. raw), lentils (62 mcg. per 1 oz dry) and strawberries (21 mcg per cup). Since normal bacteria in the intestines produce about 1/2 the Vitamin K your body needs, you can probably get all you need from food.

Zinc - Assists with digestion and metabolism, the functioning of your nervous system, and wound healing. Zinc lozenges taken at a cold's onset may help fight cold symptoms. RDA- 8 mg. More than 40 mg can cause gastointestinal irritatino and depress immune function, and may cause heart problems. Found in Red meat, seafood, and yogurt. If you're eating vegetarian - consider a supplement.

Note: Your Store brand Daily Multiple for Women will carry all of these vitamins that you need, in appropriate amounts.
Old 05-01-2002, 02:52 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

absolutely, i'm getting my vitamins in via supplements. and i'm taking extra calcium, to the tune of 100% of the RDA every day [in the 'candy' form]. and extra vitamin C [in liquid form], and extra zinc [lozenge]. plus a centrum.

i'm planning to switch to a liquid multivitamin, as pills are just too hard for me to swallow now. and, i've known for years that i need extra b complex to stay healthy.

so, that's the vit story from one person... hope everyone else is getting theirs, and i DON'T mean the OTHER kind of 'getting theirs'!!!!!
Old 05-01-2002, 03:02 PM   #3  

Absolutely I love taking my multi-vitamin with all my other drugs....lol

Kim
Old 05-02-2002, 11:36 AM   #4  

One thing I learned from my Mother..and have kept with me..taking my vitamins daily.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:43 AM   #5  
It's been so long...

S/C/G: 375.2/377/177

Height: 6'

I take a multi, extra vitamin c, and a mega dose of vitamin E daily, for cysts in my breasts... plus I drink fortified Almond and rice milk to help with the B12, since we don't eat meat.
Closed Thread