South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 12-10-2008, 02:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/156.6/128

Height: 5'3"

Default transitioning to SBD, unanswered questions

I’m not sure if I’m already doing SBD and just didn’t realize it. After reading the book, I think I have actually been more restrictive than SBD, so I’m scared to go whole hog on P1 (no pun intended). Plus, I don’t think I’ve been getting enough calories even though none of them are junk calories. I’m pretty close to my goal weight, so I really need to think about how I plan to eat forever. Here’s what I’m eating now:

B: 4 oz 1% cottage cheese or 1 egg and 1oz LF cheddar
2 Lite Rye Wasa Crisps
Protein supplement

S: protein supplement

L: 4 oz grilled chicken (or other really lean meat)
2 c raw veg (low GI)
1 fruit (usually an orange off my tree)

S: protein again!

D: 4 oz very lean meat
4 oz cooked veg
2 Lite Rye Wasa Crisps

The protein is whey protein with no fat or carbs. I don’t have the ingredients for the Wasa in front of me, but I think they’re whole grain.

So on to the questions…

1. I want to quit drinking the protein supplement (unless I occasionally want it in a smoothie) and start eating real snacks, but I’m afraid that I’ll be hungry because of the decrease in protein. How would you handle this?

2. Should I to strict P1 and eliminate the Wasa and fruit for 2 weeks or just stay where I am and see how my body reacts to the other changes (like increased dairy)?

3. DH is a little hard headed, but has agreed to go on SB with one exception. He refuses to give up his sugar free cappuccino mix twice a day (50 calories, 0 sugar but has maltodextrin and creamer as the first 2 ingredients). I would like to find a substitute that works for him, but in the meantime should I push the issue or just be glad that he is doing everything else SB and let it ride?

Sorry for turning this into a novel! I have been lurking for about a month and I think I have read almost every post (and the book twice), but I like having a “live” person to ask.

Thanks so much for your input!!! I look forward to posting more on the board and getting to know each of you!
murphydoodle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Looking at what you're eating, I would say you are basically on Phase II, but you are missing the dairy and beans. That's without knowing what's in the protein supplement. If you have been eating this way for a while and don't have cravings for sweets and carbs, I don't see the point of doing Phase I. I'd just continue with your plan, but maybe add in the beans and dairy, and make sure your veggies are adding up to at least 4.5 cups/day.

I make sure I get enough protein because it really helps keep me from wanting extra snacks during the day. I eat eggs, nuts, cheese, dairy, beans, edamame, lunchmeat. There are lots of ideas around here.

I wouldn't try to force anything on DH. You really can only control what you eat. If he is willing to eat what you do, that makes things easier, but if he wants his cappuccino, so be it, I guess that's his choice. If he'd like to try something as a substitute, I would suggest investing in some flavored sugar free syrups and try making your own coffee drinks. I have a sugar free latte every afternoon, with flavored syrup (caramel, vanilla, etc.), skim milk, and a strong shot of coffee. You can add cinnamon, cocoa powder, etc.

Don't be afraid to shake things up a bit. There's tons of great recipes on this board, and I have to keep things interesting to keep myself motivated. Most of what I cook isn't "diet food", but just normal healthy cooking that meets SBD requirements. My whole family eats what I cook and they wouldn't if they thought I was feeding them "diet food". Thanks to SBD, my DD has gotten hooked on Chef's Salads for lunch, DS now loves oatmeal for breakfast (okay, he does put some sugar on it), DH loves the Nessa bars, and they all love the turkey bacon I get at the PA Dutch market. This is all stuff they would never touch before. It's been a slow transition, but we are getting there. Still none of them will go near the bean brownies though. That's okay, means there's more for me!

ETA: Oh, calories, yeah. Looking at your day I'd agree that maybe you're not getting enough. It looks to me about 1000 (although I don't know how many are in the protein supplement. Calories are only important on SBD in that you need to make sure you are eating enough. We don't need to count. But if you feel like you are eating too much or too little, it can be a handy tool to check. I counted them for a while because I was trying to learn portion sizes, and I had an upper limit and a lower limit for the day.

Last edited by Schmoodle; 12-10-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

murphydoodle2!

Schmoodle has given you excellent advice, but I think you should add more vegetables to your daily plan, too. On SBD you should be eating at least 4 cups every day.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 212/172.4/150

Height: 5'9"

I agree as well. veggies and beans! i swear by the daily beans
baristamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:13 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 175/156.6/128

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for your replies! I added beans to dinner last night and they were great! I am going to have to work on increasing the veggies though. I have been eating a lot of cucumber, green beans, and cauliflower. Before I changed my eating habits I was eating corn or potatoes every night, so this is a huge improvement, but it still needs to be better. I'll keep working on it!
murphydoodle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:26 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Murphy!

Sounds like you're eating a really healthy diet! I agree, though, that you need more veggies, more beans, more calories, and more "real" food (i.e. less protein supplements). I also agree with you about the protein--it's important to have it regularly. You might try having 2T of natural peanut butter (or a serving of nuts) during snack, low fat cheese (I love the 1 oz portioned 2% milk cheese or string cheese snacks, LF Laughing Cow is great too), or even some meat. Bean are great, too; one of my favorite snacks is vegetarian (or FF) refried beans with LF cheese and SF salsa. It's like comfort food! Homemade 3 Bean salad is the ultimate food--veggies, good fats, beans, protein, and fiber!

Do you have cravings? If not, I'd just do Phase II. It sounds like you've been eating really restrictively and I can't imagine you're still dealing with a lot of sugar in your system. You decide.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote