Old 12-04-2008, 04:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

Default mixing up breakfast to break plateau

So my hubby just bought me an ipod because I like to listen to roni's weigh's podcasts and I'm hoping to get some good music to jog to now that I've started jogging. I'm trying to figure out how to use it, not easy when you are over 40 and have a teenager that has taken care of you so you've never really had to figure out this stuff for yourself Anyway, I listened to a podcast by Sandra Ahten who is a diet coach, I hadn't heard of her before. She said if you are on a plateau try mixing up what you have for breakfast to shake up your metabolism. Not necessarily more calories, but just something different each day. I thought this was interesting. I've been eating oatmeal every morning for the last year. I read the book by Dr. Oz and he said to make breakfast the same every day to lose weight. Anybody have any opinions on this?
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I rotate through various breakfast meals all the time but this is more because I can become bored of one thing and I just love so many different types of foods lol.

I have found a good breakfast definitely sets me up for the day and being able to have something different each day keeps interested - and my body guessing! I do notice different hunger levels though come mid morning or lunchtime depending on whether breakfast was more protein or carb based.

My breakfasts include

- Egg and ham on wholemeal muffin or bread (egg cooked in microwave)
- Poached eggs with a slice of wholegrain toast
- Toast - all kinds of bread, wholemeal, rye, soy & linseed etc with either vegemite or peanut butter and honey
- Fruit salad (rockmelon, water melon, honey dew, grapes, banana) with low-fat yoghurt
- untoasted muesli with yoghurt and banana
- Banana smoothie
- Weetbix
- veggie pattie on wholemeal bread
- Porridge
- omlettes with grilled tomato and mushrooms

thats about all I can think of off the top of my head...like I said...it varies!

Last edited by Lyria; 12-04-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #3  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Changing up things never hurts, but sometimes getting into a routine of the same foods helps you stay on plan. I think that's what Dr. Oz means.

Why don't you try a couple days a week with a total different type of breakfast, like eggs. It can't hurt!

I rotate about 3 different breakfasts in.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #4  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I alternate either a cup of steel-cut oatmeal with orange juice or a scrambled egg with a piece of whole wheat toast.

I've never really heard about mixing up your breakfast to shake up your metabolism, but I guess it couldn't hurt. Also, have you tried adding some healthy protein/carb combinations for snacks? ie..natural peanut butter on apple slices or string cheese with an apple, laughing cow cheese on a celery stick, a few almonds with a clementine. This might help your metabolism, also.

I don't really think there is one perfect plan for everyone and not necessarily one perfect plan for our whole journey. I find that changing my plan every few months tends to keep me motivated.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:42 PM   #5  

I change my staple meals a lot because I get bored, and it did help me get through at least one plateau that I can remember. I think it's because after a while I no longer measure my "safe" foods and the portions gradually get larger without my realizing it.

It's worth a shot!
JoyfulVegGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:35 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I have about 5 different breakfasts I switch from day to day. Since I take synthroid for my thyroid condition, I usually avoid calcium at breakfast. Although, once in a while I'll have cereal or cheese. I try to have some protein at breakfast most mornings.

As for changing breakfasts to rev up you metabolism - give it a try and let us know!
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:32 PM   #7  

Thanks everyone. I'm not really on a plateau, it's just coming off slow. I think it's because I'm getting closer to goal. I'm a slow loser anyway. I'll try mixing up breakfast and see what happens.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 226/141/126

Height: 5'4"

-on a side note.... congrats on now jogging! I imagine you wernt doing that at your previous weight

I think thats great! I'm slowly working myself up to being able to job too.
mudskippersgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:48 PM   #9  

mudskippersgrl- I'm just starting to jog. I've been walking a trail that is 2 1/4 mile long and last time I think I jogged almost half of it. It's starting to feel better. I bought a sports bra which helps. I felt so awkward at first, but it's getting easier. You can totally do it! Just start doing little bursts of jogging in your walks and work up.

Last edited by H8cake; 12-05-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:57 PM   #10  
More than halfway to 100!

S/C/G: 273/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6

I started at 273 in summer of 2007 and started walking on a treadmill. This past August I swam, biked, and ran a sprint triathlon! Get ready to amaze yourself!
IrishRose25 is offline   Reply With Quote