Old 12-04-2008, 04:39 PM   #1  
keeping on keeping on

S/C/G: 215/ticker/160

Height: 5'7

Default Skin Problems?

Hello everyone,

I am new here but I love the support and advice that I see being given.

I have a quick question - I knew that I got really sever sugar highs/lows and headaches after eating unhealthy carbs and so I have cut them out (as well as sugar) for the past few weeks and I have been feeling fantastic - and stable! - since then. However, my skin has broken out hardcore in the past week! Worse than when I was a teenager. Maybe I am 'detoxing'? Did anyone else have a problem like this? It could be totally unrelated to the diet change, but it sure is frustrating!

--Bee
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

When I lost quite a it of weight in my twenties, this same thing happened to me. I learned that if I didn't get enough protein and healthy fats, my skin would completely freak out -- I also found that it was important to take a shower IMMEDIATELY after exercising so that the sweat did not sit and dry on my skin.

I think there is SOME merit to the idea of detoxing, but being a lot more careful about my nutrition this time around, I have not had any of the skin problems I had last time.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Having been a makeup artist, I believe I can give some sound advice. Your diet DOES effect your skin and any change thereof will therefore, make a difference, for better or worse. Ride out this initial breakout by keeping your face as clean as possible; wash it in the morning, at night and immediately after you exercise. Don't touch it! EVER! Unless you are cleaning it. Try not to pick at your blemishes. Over the counter acne medications can help but if you choose to use them be sure to moisturize like crazy as they can cause dryness and irritation. Your skin will slowly improve as you maintain your healthy diet. Hope that was helpful and good luck on all of your ambitions!
Digging Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

detoxing may exactly be your problem..I would say to drink your water and plenty of it...are you staying away from processed foods as well?
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #5  
keeping on keeping on

S/C/G: 215/ticker/160

Height: 5'7

Yup, definitely staying away from processed foods and drinking tons of water. It definitely might be the lack of protein, Schumeany, as I have trouble getting enough. I am averaging around 50-60g a day which I know is low... I just can't find ways to get enough protein! I have eggs and tuna close to every day and some sort of bean/legume every day... I should buy more chicken, but I have a hard time affording it. I also have a severe nut allergy, so that cuts out most of the other alternative sources.

Any suggestions?
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Well, bang for your buck, the chicken is a pretty good choice...but expensive. I do low fat yogurt mixed with a high protein cereal and a cut up apple for breakfast a lot. Hmmm, I kind of depend on protein bars for snacks a few days a week...but I have never had to scan them for nuts or nut products...and I limit it because I too have tried to embrace the "whole food" philosophy. You could do steamed soy beans (edamame sp?) for veggies and the dried ones tossed into salad for a nice crunch. The tuna is good, but there has been a lot of research on the amount of nasty stuff in our tuna so be careful with that as an "everyday" choice -- although the healthy fats are a GOOD thing. Yep, I eat eggs a few mornings a week...and boiled eggs as snacks. It is really hard to get enough protein, I know -- just do your best. But also don't discount some healthy fats -- they are also good for your skin.

Besides the protein, make sure you are also getting ENOUGH calories a day. If you are under -- and I obviously don't know if you are -- your skin can do odd things because of the nutrients it lacks. I also under-ate too much of the time last time I lost weight. I will say. however, that while I was losing last time, my skin was bad, but after I had been in maintenance for about four months, my skin cleared up and stayed clear for the next four years that I stayed at what is my current weight today (Then I had babies...ooops on the weight).

Oh, and of course the water...but it sounds like you are doing well in that regard.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Hey, I make my own hummus from generic chick peas. They usually run .69 a can. I first dice my garlic, onion or whatever and spray it with non-fat cooking spray--then, roast in oven. After it finishes (I wait till it turns color) I toss it into my food processor and whirl it up. Drain your peas and rinse them with water. Pat them dry and whirl them with your other stuff. This keeps several days.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:03 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

OP: thanks for the great question and thanks to everyone for the helpful responses. I have been experiencing breakouts since I changed my diet and I was really starting to worry. I will definitely use this great advise, just another reason I'm thankful for 3FC
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #9  
starving artist

S/C/G: 161/157.2/135

this may help.... and may not

but i had breakouts for the past few years. i also have a strange digestive system. so i started taking these OTC digestive enzyme supplements. and i swear my skin has cleared up tremendously.

i was reading this book that was talking about how poor digestion can lead to breakouts. so idk.
stellart is offline   Reply With Quote