South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #1  

Height: 5'1"

Question What helped you through Phase 1?

What really helped you through phase one? I think the sugar free candy and jello for me. Haven't had the chance to go back to the grocery store (on day 4) to buy cottage cheese for a dessert (add pumpkin spice, etc to it).

I have read ricotta for desserts...hmm? Would the desserts turn out better than cottage cheese mixture? I love both and also I have read somewhere yogurt too for desserts. Now, since this isn't a low carb way of eating perse but do you still watch the carb count on food you buy when starting out. What I mean is that a can of green bean...1 serving is 1/3 cup and 4 carbs I believe. You know, such as that?

Thanks again for the support!
Old 12-04-2008, 02:21 PM   #2  

When I first did SBD, I loved the ricotta desserts. I tried them again, when I started SBD in Sept. and couldn't stand the taste or texture. Go figure. SF/FF jello helped me this time around.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:36 PM   #3  
Creative Beacher

Dessert really helped me through phase one. It gave me a treat to look forward to and made me feel less like I was on a "diet". During P1 I made the ricotta desserts in different varieties and SF hot chocolate. Those were both satisfying and filling. As for cottage cheese vs ricotta, I think the ricotta comes out better for dessert because it is creamier and thicker. You should try both and see what you like. Also, ricotta comes in different consistencies brand to brand. I love the Kroger ricotta but can't hardly eat the Walmart ricotta.

I don't really count carbs on anything unless I am comparing breads. Even then, I look at the ingredients first and the carb count last.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:59 PM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Remembering snacks was huge. I got the South Beach Flu with a vengeance the first week and those snacks made a difference. Eating beans (hummus, refried, garbanzos on salad) and discovering Greek yogurt for dessert also helped a lot. In Phase 1 don't worry about quantity, just stick to the food list.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I have never worried about the carb counts. If you follow the plan, that takes care of itself. Why make it harder than it has to be?

Snacks are key. Eating enough is very important. I also don't worry about quantities so much (except with the nuts). For me, phase I is all about the detox. Protein snacks really help, as do beans and dairy.

Nutritionally, yogurt, cottage cheese, or ricotta desserts would be very similar. I'd just go with whatever you prefer. I did the ricotta desserts for a while, and they were very good in the evening for filling me up, but lately I've been into yogurt.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:55 PM   #6  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

The mocha ricotta creme is what got me through Phase I. I ate it every night for a bedtime snack. Very filling and satisfying. I was never one for jello. I also love cheese so I ate it with every meal, on chicken, on salads, on eggs.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:03 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 155/141/138

Height: 5'7"

Sugar free gum - kept my mouth busy when I wanted to snack!

Flavored tea (any kind you like) - with spelnda to make it sweet enough to feel like a treat. Before SBD I used little to no sweetener in hot tea, during (and not) I use more as it helps alleviate my desire for "real" sugar.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:19 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/203/160

Height: 5'6"

Default What is getting me through..

I am on Day 5 of Phase 1. It really hasn't been that bad for me. I've discovered I can eat similar things to what I normally enjoy, but I just eat them smartly. I have discovered the peanut butter cookie recipe on this site is great for my sweet tooth. I also eat sugar free Jello. I keep sugar free mints in my purse for when I get a craving for something sweet, but have no treats with me. That way, I'm not consuming any fat and scant calories, and I'm getting fresh breath!

I've also discovered spices. I know it sounds silly, but the first time I tried South Beach, I never seasoned or marinated my meat, I just ate plain chicken and plain steak all the time. Needless to say, I didn't last long! This time around, I've discovered different flavorings and marinades and oh man has it made a difference! I actually get excited about eating diet food because it's really tasty this time around! Spices are your best friend! (Just watch that they don't have added sugar!)

I have also found a sweet tea made with Splenda that is fantastic! It is called Milo's and is sold in a gallon jug. I'm not sure if it is just a Knoxville brand or not, but if you like tea, try to find something similar. It tastes just like sweet tea, but has no calories or sugar! It's perfect for when I can't stand the thought of drinking another bottle of water!
Old 12-05-2008, 11:02 AM   #9  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I forgot to mention nuts were another of the foods that helped me on Phase I. I loved eating my daily allotment of almonds. I since switched to almond butter and love eating 2 Tbs. a day!
Old 12-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #10  

Height: 5'1"

THis is going to sound gross to you but I eat my almonds with my jello. : ) Crunch and sweet. Love the combo. I eat Strawberry/Banana Jello. YUMMMY! Okay, I am the weirdo that likes to try different foods together and this is a good for me.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:15 PM   #11  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Nuts and peanut butter definitely got me through Phase I.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:13 AM   #12  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

"Peanut butter cups".....and I STILL have them all the time after almost 2 years on SBD. love em.
Closed Thread