Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2002, 09:49 PM   #1  

Question rowing anyone?

Hei,
I just started using the rowing machine in my local YMCA and I like it Does anyone know if it is a good method for losing weight though? My back was the only part of my body that is sore after this exercise so I am not sure if there is any benefit at all if i continue this exercise, especially since all the other exercises seems to cause soreness all over my body. So, what are your thoughts everyone
Old 05-04-2002, 11:35 AM   #2  

The rowing machine is one of my favorite machines that I use at the gym. It is great for the whole body and I was told once that doing 15 min on the rowing machine is the same as doing 30 min on the treadmill ( not sure if this is true or not) . My back has never bothered me doing the rowing machine. Did you have someone show you , how to do it the proper way?
I alternate between the rowing machine, treadmill and elliptical trainer....that way dont get bored doing the same thing.
Hope this was of some help.

HAPPY ROWING!!
Old 05-06-2002, 06:42 PM   #3  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

Hi Fiola,

the rower is a really good machine as it works your body well and is both toning and cardiovascular!

Get your gym staff to check your technique. Rounded backs or mistimed back extensions are the most seen causes of back pain on a rower. Also, if you have been sedentary for a while your back muscles may be quite weak, so ask for some other back strengthening exercises, a prone floor exercise is a good, simple and easily controllable one. Ask for an example when you get your technique checked. If not come back here and I'll explain it to you.

Good luck and happy rowing! Stef
Old 05-08-2002, 07:23 PM   #4  

Thanx y'all for the advices
i just ask the gym staff to examine my technique and it seems that i have done it wrong all along; and since I have never weight lifting for my back muscle, the back soreness is more than it should be. I feel much better now and i still love this exercise. I guess i'll still use treadmill and elliptical to get faster result
Closed Thread