Old 11-26-2008, 01:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/221/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Exercising with Bad Knees

Two months of doing Mitch Gaylord's 3 day melt have left my knees in pretty bad shape. I guess I was too heavy to be doing it. Now squats, lunges and high impact aerobics causes me a lot of pain. I wonder if there were any videos that won't cause me pain but will give me a good workout. For example, if it has leg lifts instead of squats. The help would be great!!
LadyPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:38 PM   #2  
Lazy runner deluxe

S/C/G: 168/142/142

Height: 169 cm / 5'7''

It's not really video's, but there are sport activities that are very doable for people with joint problems, because you don't have to carry your own weight while doing it. For example cycling, swimming and probably also aquarobics. I don't know of any fitness video's that would be good for you. But I guess you could assemble your own program with much of the exercises that do not cause you pain. Have you seen a doctor to find out what exactly is wrong with your knees? It might be good to follow a training programme with a chiropractor.
Elwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:55 PM   #3  

I talked to my doctor and he told me that I had been working them too hard especially since I'm so grossly overweight and he told me tone it down. I've been working on the elliptical which doesn't bother me but I'm getting a little flabby so I'd like something that can tone me up so I can get some muscle.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:32 PM   #4  

I am having knee issues myself right now, so I can tell you what NOT to do per my physical therapist. NO knee extension machine, no squats, no marching in place type stuff (no more Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds for me!), no lunges, no leg press machine. Also, after you exercise, you need to ice the knees down (also right now any time you can would be good; I am supposed to do it every chance I get for as long as I can stand it until the inflammation goes down).

I have patellar chondromalacia and early osteoarthritis (just diagnosed). My kneecaps are out of place, and the PT is trying to strengthen my quads to move them. Evenutally I should be albe to go back to squats leg press and lunges, but the knee extension and marching restrictions are permanent. glad I foudn out because I was just getting ready to order the WATP on DVD to replace my VHS tapes!
StraitLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

I have a rod in my right leg which makes it a weak leg and knee problems. As I've lost weight, it's gotten easier and I can do more things. My doctor told me that every pound I lose, it takes 4 pounds of pressure off my knees! So even at 31 pounds I've taken 124 pounds of pressure off of them!

I have been doing the 30 day shred and I can do the moves on there. It doesn't hurt my knees and the ones that did, there are modified ways to help take pressure off. You should maybe look into that dvd. I've lost 29 inches in two months by doing it and my knees and joints feel great.
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:23 PM   #6  

I don't have knee problems but I have had to stop running on the treadmill because I have strange running habits where I veer to the right and am very heavy on my right foot. I also run on my toes. This caused me to develop swollen ankles!! Which is crazy because I am young. My friend who owns the gym told me that it is the way I run that is causing issues so in the spring I am taking her learn to run course so I don't injure myself but in the mean time....

I use the elliptical (which you already do), the bike, and instead of running on the treadmill, I keep the speed as if I were running and make the incline rather steep and power walk. This has actually allowed me to burn more calories and my legs are getting a more toning workout.

Good Luck!
Squirrelygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Height: 5'8"

I've got bad knees and ankles too, and degenerative arthritis in the right ankle and the joint has been rebuilt. I've also had a ruptured achilles tendon that never fully healed. My right calf is a full 2 inches smaller than my left a little over a year later. STRETCHING and wearing GOOD RUNNING SHOES have been the most prolific when it comes to easing the pain. I'm active -- I like backpacking, running, rock climbing, and ballet and i'm not going to stop doing what I want to do because it hurts. I don't take any medication, but I make sure to eat lots of Omega-3 foods, I massage daily, and I ice or use heat therapy when it's particularly painful/raining/cold outside.

The way I see it, you'll either lay down and let something like minor aches and pains keep you from doing the things you want to do or you deal with it. My legs are never *not* going to hurt whether i'm sitting around or playing soccer with the neighborhood kids, so I just grit my teeth and go for it. For you, your problem will probably correct itself the more weight you lose so you have that to look forward to. Swimming and biking are great options to switch out with so you don't wear your knees out.

Really though, people underestimate the value of stretching. For anyone with joint problems, anyone at all for that matter, you need to be stretching for a good 15-30 minutes before and after your workouts. The more flexible you are the less likely you'll get injured, and the easier rigorous movements are on your joints. That in itself may be more than enough to relieve your symptoms and allow you to carry on like you have been.

Good luck!
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:37 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here we go again View Post
My doctor told me that every pound I lose, it takes 4 pounds of pressure off my knees!
That's probably what's causing me so much pain. What makes it worse is that I'm apple shaped so most of my extra weight kinda pushes down on my knees. I'm going to try 30 days shred and see if it'll help me. I know that as I lose weight, the pain will go away
Old 11-26-2008, 06:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

Lady- just take it slow and don't do too much. You're body will tell you.
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:29 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

maybe try yoga?

Kind of silly that you're working TO hard isn't it hehe Feel proud for that!
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:39 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 163/ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

StraitLover - if you can't do all those exercises, what does your PT have you do to strengthen your quads? I have knee issues too and really should see a PT

Last edited by katie3181; 11-27-2008 at 07:39 PM.
katie3181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 217/199/175

straitlover,
did leslie sansone walk away the pounds help you shed i just started and wanted to know did it work i tried jillian micheals but i think that was to much just starting out
cntgtbck175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #13  

cntgtbck175: can't say if the WATP helped me lose any becasue it messed up my back and hip and had to stop them. I was going to give them another shot until this knee issue came up and the PT said no marching type movements.

katie3181: right now, at home I do :

1) wall slide/squats (I use a ball on the wall rather than putting my back directly on the wall) - lean back against the wall, slide down til thighs are parallel to floor (depends on how bad the knees are, I'm not suppose dto go quite that far right now), count to ten and slide back up to starting position

2) step-ups - I am starting at 2 inches: I stand w/ one leg on a big phone book that happens to be about 2 inches thick , keep the other leg straight, then push up w/ bent leg, then lower til the straight leg touches the floor, and repeat, making sure you're only raising and lowering w/ the leg on the phone book - the straight one does no work at all. Hope that makes sense!

3) lots of stretching of the calves and hamstrings (my flexibility stinks!) - 3 sets of 30 seconds each

4) quad set - sitting up w/ legs extended, you squeeze and tighen the quads, focusing on the inner muscle like it's pulling the kneecap in to the middle and up; do some alos w/ a rolled up towl underneath your ankle to hit the muscles at a slightly different angle

5) don't know the name, but you sit up, legs extended, and you raise one leg up about 6 inches (keep it straight!), hold and lower

6) sit up, knees bent, feet together (important!) take a rolled up towel, folded pillow or a smallish ball (soccer ball sized?), put it between your knees, and squeeze and hold for 5 seconds. The feet together makes sure you work the right muscles.

The exercises I try to do 3 sets of 10. The #5 one, now that I can do 3 sets of 10, I am supposed to find a way to add a little bit of weight (about 1 lb) to my leg.

She will be adding new ones each week (I am going once a week, hopefully for only 3 more weeks).

Also, if you look in the Exercise, section of the board here, there is a sticky thread that talks aobut exercising w/ bad knees,a nd there are some pics of exercises to strengthen the quads there.

Last edited by StraitLover; 12-01-2008 at 02:09 PM.
StraitLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:35 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 163/ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

StraitLover: thanks for the detailed response! I think I'll try those tonight.
katie3181 is offline   Reply With Quote