Old 11-21-2008, 07:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/128/124

Height: 5'8"

Default Birth Control

Does anyone know any information on which causes the least amount of weight gain? Like of all the options (IUD, Cervical cap, implant, pills, etc)....

Thanks
blackbeltchica19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:00 PM   #2  
keep on truckin'

S/C/G: 253/249/190

Height: 6'1

I don't. You could research it online.
I am taking Yasmin birth control pills and it has never made me gain weight at all. And I never have really crazy PMS either
vdaybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:08 PM   #3  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

I was on lo-ovral for years and lost weight on it. Now I'm fixed and its the bestest thing ever!
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:11 PM   #4  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

i am on birth control pills, and i was told by my doctor that its not the pills that make you gain weight, its the fact that some people get hungrier/more cravings on them than others. So as long as I controlled that should it happen, i wouldnt gain weight just from being on the pills. Dunno if its true for all pills
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/173/140

Height: 5'9

i looose weight taking yasmin.
fleming13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:19 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

Here is a short NY Times article about the matter:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/30/health/30real.html

"THE BOTTOM LINE: The link between the pill and weight gain is exaggerated at best."

Think of it this way: if you are on the pill as a contraceptive and not for another reason, you'll gain a whole lot more weight by not taking the pill and getting pregnant...!
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/181/160

Height: 6'0

I'm on Yaz, i have lost weight on it, and my doctor told me that was actually a side effect. I think suitejudyblueeyes makes an excellent point, seeing as how i gained all my weight during pregnancy.
wantingtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Default ...

You need to try them to see how your body reacts. Some women do great on HBC's and have no problems, some women (like me) are WAY more sensitive to hormones and they screw us up.

All of the HBC's (hormonal) made me completely psychotic, started losing my hair, no libido, couldn't self-lubricate so sex was painful and a waste of time for me, and I gained weight on them and could NOT lose it no matter how hard I tried. I was also a lot more hungry when I was on HBC's so that might have very well been why. Nuvaring gave me chronic yeast infections ONTOP of all the symptoms I mentioned above, and the old doc refused to believe that my ailments were due to the HBC. When my husband left for Iraq I threw my pills in the trash and took up a fight against Tricare to refer me to someone else.

A week after stopping the HBC's, I was noticeably more sane -- ie: I wasn't seriously thinking about committing suicide every two seconds, I could drag myself out of bed in the mornings without sitting and crying for 30 minutes before I could brush my teeth, and I could sleep again without self-medicating. My hair wasn't coming out in clumps in the shower anymore.

Fast forward -- New doc, had a Paragard IUD for about a month now and i'm in LOVE. All of the bloat I had while on HBC's is gone, my appetite is back to normal for me (note: before HBC's I had a tiny appetite. One or two small meals worked great for me) Periods are heavier and longer than on HBC, but to be honest, they're identical to the way they were before I started the pill in the first place. It's a non-hormonal, long term option. I don't plan on having any kids within the next five or six years, so it's great for me. The Paragard lasts for up to 10 years. I've heard insertion can be very painful, but i've never had children before and it was a breeze. Not painful at all, more of an irritating twingey kind of feeling. Like when you have an itch you can't scratch. They did have to use the long q-tip with the numbing stuff to soften and dilate my cervix, so my insertion took a little longer than normal, but all in all the procedure took 5 minutes tops. I cramped pretty bad that evening, but it was nothing advil couldn't handle and I even did the 30 Day Shred that night.
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:18 PM   #9  
*insert inspiration here*

S/C/G: 286/185/130

I'm on the mini pill...the first month I was on it, it was like I was pregnant. My friend was in her first trimester and we were having the same symptoms. Along with the nausea, there were the cravings...I just had to control them.
caligirl98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:00 AM   #10  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

I starting my weight loss in July, and started taking Microgestin since either late August or early September (yeah... can't remember for sure LOL) and it didn't affect my weight loss almost at all. I experienced some really bad nausea when my body was still getting used to it, so I couldn't eat 100% OP for a week or so because I was practically repulsed by all foods and could only stomach really bland things, heh, but I've been fine since then and have been losing very steadily! I'm sure there are some brands that do cause weight gain, but I think what others have said about having crazy cravings could be the cause of so-called BC-related weight gain. I didn't really experience that, but I totally believe it could happen.

The bottom line is that everyone is different and reacts to BC pills differently, so really this is something best discussed with your doctor, lol, sorry!
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:42 AM   #11  

I use the Nuva Ring. I haven't had any side effects with it AND it's only a once-a-month thing! Super convenient!
Its Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:03 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 163/ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

A lot of weight gain from from birth control pills is from water retention and Yaz and Yasmin actually have a mild diuretic in them which helps you get rid of excess water.

The studies say that the pill does not make you gain weight but I know when I was on microgestin and alesse my appetite skyrocketed. I'm on yasmin now and haven't noticed any changes either way.

Star2be is so right in saying that everyone reacts differently. It's all hormones.

Last edited by katie3181; 11-22-2008 at 01:04 AM.
katie3181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:43 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/184/145

Height: 5'5"

On Yasmin..never had any weight gain. I have taken it for over a year & I like it a lot!
Chance0421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:44 AM   #14  
Are we there yet????

S/C/G: 227/*ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

I'm starting the mini pill soon and I'm also very concerned about weight gain lol.
leighish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:48 AM   #15  
Yarp.

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I'm also a fan of the NuvaRing. I've been taking Yaz, but it makes my skin break out (which is funny, since it's supposed to clear up acne), so I'm switching back to the ring.
UrsusMaritimus is offline   Reply With Quote