South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 11-17-2008, 03:15 PM   #1  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

Default Which Splenda??

I am a terrible cook, no, I'm just not a good cook and I try to follow recipes to the best of my ability but a friend is asking me what to substitute honey with. I remember reading over here that there are different kinds of Splenda...which one would go into a dessert made from scratch? I forgot to ask her to send me the name of the recipe.

Any help will be appreciated.
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:35 PM   #2  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

There's a Splenda for baking that might be useful. If she needs brown sugar, then there's also a brown sugar splenda.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:41 PM   #3  

But keep in mind that some versions of Splenda are mixed with regular sweetener so if she is trying to do a pure on plan South Beach that might be a problem.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:06 PM   #4  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

The granulated Splenda - which is Splenda for baking will work. Like Barb said, there are two different kinds of baking splenda, one that is pure sucralose and the other which is half sucralose and half sucrose. The latter is a no-no for a pure SB, but would be better than using straight sugar. The thing with using sucralose (Splenda) is that it doesn't caramelize like sugar does, which tends to lead to baked goods not having that golden brown look.

The Brown Sugar Splenda blend is a blend of splenda and real brown sugar. Since the brown sugar that is blended with it is basically just white sugar with molasses, she could probably get away with using straight splenda and a tablespoon or two of regular molasses (not blackstrap!)

A better substitute for honey might be Agave Nectar, as honey also lends sticky and moist properties to baked goods. I haven't had great results when replacing honey with actual sugar, and assume it would be about the same with Splenda. Agave Nectar browns as well. Agave nectar is debatable on SB, but is very low on the GI scale and I haven't found that it gives me cravings at all. It is also natural compared to artificial -- whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Last edited by zeffryn; 11-17-2008 at 04:08 PM.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #5  
sophie

Height: 5'4"

so I checked my Splenda and the ingredients are - Maltodexrin and Sucralose. We only have the brown sugar one and the one I listed the ingredients for here in Ontario. I don't use it alot but do hope that its o.k.
sophie
sophie is offline   Reply With Quote