Old 11-15-2008, 12:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Default Help - can't get on plan!!

I feel like I've been off plan for so long that I don't remember how to be on plan!!! It started like a month ago, I went on a week long vacation to visit my brother, and I ate something so bad that I could barely eat the rest of the trip. Weirdly enough, Taco Bell was the only food that did NOT irritate my stomach! Anyways, I got home and started eating normal meals again, and did one day of exercise and then got hit with tonsillitis! That was almost 2 weeks without eating normally. Now I'm fully recovered, but I never know what to eat or when to eat it! Exercise is good, and I think I'm getting into a good routine with that.

It's the food part. Now that it's not my enemy, I need to figure out what to eat - and how many times a day to eat. What are you all doing? Right now I'm having coffee for breakfast at 8am, and then I have teriyaki beef with rice (or something along those lines) for lunch at 2pm, and then dinner at 8pm, which is generally fast food or something equally bad. I need advice on a good breakfast to have on the go.. maybe I should add a snack between breakfast and lunch? And some lunch ideas! Phew - I am asking for a lot here.. but I really do appreciate all the help. I really have to get this eating thing under control if I plan on losing any weight!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

I never did well with cereal and milk for breakfast. I needed 2 or 3 bowls to feel full, and it didn't stick.

I'm fond of oatmeal for breakfast, but it has to be good oatmeal. I like the extra thick oats (and dislike the instant oats). I like some chew and texture. I cook this on the stovetop on Sunday so I can have it ready to reheat M-F.

In the summer, I was having it with fruit in it. Mmmmm, peach & cinnamon. Now I'm cooking it with a can of pumpkin, some pumpkin pie spice, 1/2T of molasses, and a zested orange. Then I reheat in the morning with some soymilk, and then add 2T ground flaxseed. Wow, do I feel impressed with myself for having veggies for breakfast .

For a morning snack, I have some variation of yogurt (Greek, plain), with fruit and some granola. My fallback is yogurt, blueberries and some banana, and granola. That's a really yummy parfait. But I try other combinations too.

I'm not adding sugar to any of this (except the 1/2T molasses in the oats, that's spread over 5 servings). I rather like not sweet. The fruit adds sweetness, especially banana and wild blueberries (the small wild ones are sweeter than the bigger ones), and the granola is actually too sweet for my liking, so it also sweetens the yogurt.

A boiled egg can be a tasty midmorning snack, or addition to breakfast if it was small & lacking protein.

You may find, after a sound breakfast becomes a real habit, that the inclination to have fast food for dinner lessens.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 11-15-2008 at 12:35 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:57 PM   #3  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb

S/C/G: 148/146.5/130

Height: 5'5"

JulieJ08's right on target. I have to say - just coffee for breakfast? You're depriving yourself every morning, right when your body needs some good, long-lasting fuel the most! My typical morning meal is half of a grapefruit, some breakfast sausage, a dab of peanut butter and coffee with Splenda. Of course, I'm a low-carber, so the sausage might not be the best option for other types of dieters, but the idea is that filling yourself up with *proteins* and *good fats* at the beginning of the day - as well as *fiber* (from grapefruit and peanut butter!) and *good carbohydrates* (grapefruit is the least sugary of all fruits, and it's my highest-carb meal of the day) will keep you satisfied, satiated and *energized* for the rest of the day.

Coffee alone may just end up sending your digestive system alllll out of whack.\
MadelinRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:58 PM   #4  
Lazy runner deluxe

S/C/G: 168/142/142

Height: 169 cm / 5'7''

This is what I usually eat.

Breakfast:
Either 2 slices of whole-wheat bread without butter with cheese, meat or jam. Or a bowl of low-fat yoghurt with sugar-free granola and some fruit or cane sugar. When I have bread I take a glass of milk or buttermilk with it.

Lunch:
2 or 3 slices of whole-wheat bread with something on it. Fruit. Water.

Evening:
Plate of food, not too much fat, 1/2 plate veggies, 1/4 carbs, 1/4 meat/fish/egg/whatever other protein source you can think of.

I also eat snacks, when I'm hungry. Usually mid-morning, mid-afternoon and in the evening (especially after exercising). I choose from granola bars, fruit (I eat 2-3 pieces of fruit a day), bowl of yoghurt, glass of milk / buttermilk, slice of bread, crackers (my last resort but I always have some in the cupboard, they store so easily).

I always cook for myself unless I have dinner with someone else. In that case I eat less or no snacks during the day and up the exercise some. Also with other occasions that make me go off-plan.

Is it possible for you to cook for yourself for dinner, at least a few times every week? I think that would really help in controlling your calorie intake. Maybe you should just write down what you eat for a week, count the calories and think about what feasible changes would help you to get it down to an acceptable level for losing (1400-1500 or so).
Elwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Thanks for the quick replies!! I really appreciate all the good ideas! I wouldn't have thought a month of such weird eating would have such an affect of me, but I think it was because I was actually scared to eat. Not to mention with tonsillitis it hurts to swallow and eating food can often make you throw up. Pretty nasty sickness.

MadelinRose - coffee for breakfast definitely hasn't been a staple for long, just a reaction to being scared to eat anything. I had been trying to eat lower carb because I noticed when I'd eat bread/pasta I'd instantly gain weight, so having a sausage for breakfast would work quite well!

I'm going to go do a big grocery shop tomorrow, this has been such a huge wakeup call! I think just writing down what I've been eating really just made it real - and also, this isn't how I want to eat, I have been striving to be healthy and fit... I just needed this kick in the butt to motivate me! My body needs this, I can definitely feel that.. just been living in denial. Thanks again!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote