Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 11-13-2008, 11:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Preparing for Tummy Tuck

My weight stablized about a year ago. It flucates the same 5 pounds but pretty much the same. So I decided to first talk to my school and see if I could finance a tummy tuck/breast lift using financial aid. They said yes. Then I researched doctors in my area, found a good one recommended by the ASPS, with great photos, and personal recommendations and booked an evaluation. Now it almost seems like everything happened so fast but now two days after my last final for the semester I have a tummy tuck and breast lift/augementation scheduled.

As you might be able to tell I'm very excited and extremely nervous. It's a huge life decision and major surgery.

I've read the skin threat and as many articles about tummy tucks as I can find but I wanted some pratical advice from people who went though it. I'm stay at the hospital 23 hours after my surgery and then going to stay at one of my sisters (I'm not sure which one yet they both offered). So any suggestions for pre-surgery prep and post-surgery care?
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:37 PM   #2  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

i'm in the same boat as you, i know i'll need a tummy tuck when i'm at my goal weight, but i have no idea about it. my prayers are with you, and i want to hear all about it when you recover.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:16 AM   #3  
getting back on track!!

I was just talking to my husband about getting a tummy tuck and boob lift after i've finished losing weight. I wish you the best of luck and quick recovery. Please keep us informed on how it goes.
brandy922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:26 AM   #4  
Girl from Rio

S/C/G: 242/See ticker/118

Height: 5 2"

I had both a tummy tuck and a breast lift/reduction a little over a year a go, and I´m in love with the results...

As far as advice goes, for pre-op nothing really, I made sure to follow doctor´s orders, had a good night of sleep.... oh, one thing, make sure to bring some very baggy, easy to "put on and remove" kind of clothes for after the surgery, I brought to the hospital a baggy dress that held up in an elastic band... my mom had to cut the dress to remove it once I got home... I couldn´t stand the pressure of the elastic over my breast when my mom tried to take it off of me...

For post op, when you wake up you won´t be in pain, and as much as you´d like, try to avoid talking much... despite doc´s orders, I had my entire family visit (big italian family, about 15 people in the room when I woke up from surgery), and as I wasn´t in pain at first, I talked and talked... boy did I regret that later...

I was to stay 24hrs in the hospital, but ended it up staying 48... I wasn´t feeling strong enough to go home after the 24 hrs (everytime I tried to get up my blood pressure would drasticly fall and I´d feel fainty), the doc asked me to chose and I decided to stay, best decision I´ve made... so, listen to your body and don´t push yourself... it´s a long healing process and the better you listen to your body and your docs, the best

I would consider the confort level you have with each of the sisters and the conditions of their place... stairs are a big no-no, bathroom in the room is a big plus... I stayed in bed and dependant of my mom for every little thing for about a week... every little thing...

Feel free to ask me any questions, I´m more than happy to share my experience !!

You´ll absolutely love the results and the wonders that will do to you...
carol2208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:31 AM   #5  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Just follow doctor's orders and don't freak out. It is so worth it but can be really uncomfortable and so it is good that you have your family taking care of you. It is also great that you are going to have it done in the hospital and not a same day surgicenter because you have round the clock care and lemme tell you, having a bathroom set up for post-op people and a nurse to help you there and back was a small luxury at least!
I wish you all the best!!!
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 194/187/160

Height: 5'1"

Just wondered if you ever had the surgery? Noticed it's been since November that anyone has written here. I had a tummy tuck in 2005 after I had lost 90 pounds. I had no stay at the hospital, it was an outpatient procedure in the Northwest's number 1 plastic surgery clinic and it was a fantastic experience. They removed OVER 6 pounds of skin from my stomach. I had to go back the next day for a check-up and then weekly for awhile. The most annoying part was the drainage tubes, those are never any fun!!
I'm hoping in the next year or so to get hips, buns and thighs done, then I need to have my 'bat wings' done.. lol. I'm very pleased with my results. I've only gained 10-20 pounds back in nearly 4 years and have maintained that for the past 2 years and the tummy tuck still looks great. The scars are fading pretty nicely and my belly button, well, nobody knows that it's not mine. Overall I'd highly recommend the surgery if you haven't had it already.. and best of luck to you!!
LadyAmber75 is offline   Reply With Quote