Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 11-06-2008, 06:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 357/357/150

Height: 5'3"

Question +300 able to conceive & carry healthy baby to term?

hi all,
I'm new here, I just posted on the 300+ board sounding like a big ol' Sad Sally (hoping I didn't scare anyone away). I just found this board and I was curious if any of the 300+ ladies here were able to conceive and carry their healthy baby to term. If so, were you able to lose weight and excercise safely during your pregnancy? If anyone could share their experiences I would be tremendousloy (no pun intended) grateful. Thanks!
fixingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 354/252/180

Height: 5'5

I was 300 ish when I conceived my twins - I carried them to our planned Cesarean date which was 37 weeks 5 days - they were 6 lbs 6 oz and 7 lbs 1 oz. I did develop gestational diabetes and I carried ALOT of water weight.
texscrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 350/350/170

Height: 5'9"

i got pregnant with my first child when i weighed about 260-270 (not sure exact weight). i ended that pregnancy at 316 and lost all the baby weight. that was in 2006. after losing the weight i gained it back and at my highest was 310. my husband and i want another baby badly. i got pregnant in may of this year. my doctor was very concerned with my weight (310). the pregnancy ended with a miscarriage at 12 weeks in july. i've read that obesity can lead to m/c, but many other things can cause a m/c as well. i don't know that's what caused it. plenty of other overweight women carry babies to term. actually, i don't think that is what caused it at all. i just know that i am now trying to lose at least 40lbs before i get pregnant again. i want to start my next pregnancy at a healthier weight than what i am now. i don't like being debbie downer here, i'm just telling you what happened with me.
jmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've had two friends over 300 lbs who carried their children safely and without incident (neither were trying to lose weight during their pregnancies though).

My mother (not quite 5'0"), weighed about 260 - 280 with her two pregnancies (with my two sisters, my brother and I were adopted). She wasn't trying to lose weight with my sisters, but she was very prone to nausea during the pregnancies, and most foods didn't appeal to her (although I remember her craving oatmeal at 2 am, while my dad was on an emergency ambulance call and her waking me to make it for her - I was in high school).

With her first pregnancy, she gained 2 lbs with her pregnancy (before delivery, so there was a net loss) and with her second pregnancy, she lost 8 lbs. She didn't have health problems during the pregnancy (though she was on extra prenatal vitamins), but she did have some problems with delivery (though she has a tipped uterus, which probably were the greater cause of the problems, than her weight. She had to have my second sister cesarean).

My youngest sister was born about a month prematurely, and had some lung problems that were somewhat serious, but not expected to be life-threatening. She (the baby, not Mom) had to spend some extra time in the hospital, but by the time of her "should-have-been-born-by" date, she was fine (and feisty).

Last edited by kaplods; 11-06-2008 at 06:59 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:10 PM   #5  

with my first born , i started the pregnancy at 278 pounds, and when i delivered i was 315,, except for a few urinary tract infections, no other complications.

I am 27 weeks pregnant right now and i weigh 388 pounds I am uncomfortable more then anything but no other complicatons,, my blood pressure is fine, my glucose test is negative and so far so good.

I am excercising 5x/week and counting my calories, i have lost 1.5pounds since June (when i found out about the pregnancy) and havent gained anything "yet". My doctor is advising me to lose a few pounds before delivery and says that if you are over 300+ pounds, its safe to lose while pregnant just by eating healthier and being more active.
Jayme31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi fixingit!

I have had three children, and moderate the pregnant/nursing area here.

While I know it is definitely possible to conceive and carry a baby to term at 300+ pounds, it does present some difficulties. One of the biggest things that I can think of off hand, is the fact that the more overweight a person is, the harder and more risky it is for the physician to perform surgery. Basically, it's a lot easier and less risky to perform a c-section on someone of an average weight, or even overweight, than it is on someone who is extremely obese.

If you are not already pregnant, the best thing that you can do for yourself, and for a future baby, is to start working on your health NOW. Even small changes-baby steps-can really make a difference over time. If you are trying to conceive, it is best to start with simple lifestyle changes right now, before pregnancy. Committing to small things-such as eating more fruits and veggies, regular exercise-even if it starts out as only a 10 minute walk each day-can really do wonders for your health.

aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:45 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I was around 240lbs I think when I was pregant with my DD. I must say that I was not very comfortable for the last couple of months, much less so than I was when I had my DS 6 years prior. I didn't develop any of the complications of pregnancy associated with obesity but it did put a great deal of wear and tear on my joints and veins (I was left with varicose veins and varicose excema). I did carry my DD full-term and had a normal delivery.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:49 AM   #8  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default plus size pregnancy

There are some great books out there about plus-sized pregnancy, with lots of supportive advice.
Pregnancy and birth are riskier for the overweight, with the risks going up with the BMI. I have personally cared for many women who are very overweight, (mostly over 250, but a few over 300) and find that most do not gain alot with the pregnancy, and yet have good sized babies.
I was at an international Midwives conference in Scotland, and have to say that pregnancy in the overweight is a big issue (pardon the pun) for caregivers. AND there was a lot of prejudice, I am sorry to say.
So look for a caregiver who accepts you and works positively with you, not one who is judgemental.
I did learn that gaining less than 15 lbs (7 kilos) reduces risks of gestational diabetes, and c-section, and exercising for 30 minutes twice a day, (walks are fine) really reduces risks of c-section.
Risk of needing c-section goes up with BMI, and the exercise was the best way to bring the risk down.
Both of these things also increased success of breastfeeding, in the studies that went that far.
I was glad to find new research about pregnancy and obesity that was positive and not punitive.
Also if you are not taking folic acid supplements yet, get started. THis will reduce your risk of miscarriage and birth defects.
Best wishes to you, and all large and lovely ladies who are making baby plans.
fatmad
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:28 AM   #9  

hi there fixingit I am so glad that you asked this question I have pcos and weight 329.1 lbs or 149.6 kg I am trying to concive and trying to loss weight no ivf or fertility center will touch me till i get to 100 kg or 220 lb i come from australia not to sure what the standerd is in denver but i realy hope that you can start your family soon xx
linypcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:36 PM   #10  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Well any weight you can lose before conceiving would be good for you and the baby. I was a little heavy when got preggers but packed on weight like mad, until they found out I had Gestational diabetes and got me on a diet. (BTW the diet is very strict! No sugar, no fruit juice, rarely even a piece of fruit, and counting carbs for every meal unless you don't mind going on insulin.)Then I didn't gain anymore but the baby still grew fine. I can't contribute that solely to my weight b/c the genetics for diabetes run in the family but if I am being honest, I know it didn't help. Preeclampsia is also a concern about carrying extra weight. Just b/c you're heavy doesn't mean you will get any of these conditions but it can definitely increase your chances.

As someone else mentioned, carrying extra weight is hard but that last trimester would have probably been alot easier if I'd lost the 40-50 lbs extra pounds I'd had on me first. Now, of course, I have even more to lose. I wouldn't mind having another but since being heavy I've had issues with ovulating so that kinda takes it off the table for me and inspires me to lose the weight.

What is important to remember, everyone is different. It's really hard to compare people and their pregnancies b/c it's like comparing apples and oranges. I know plenty of women who were obese when they got pregnant (I was technically) and had normal pregnancies and deliveries. At any rate, it's always good to lose a little weight(if you're heavy) and have a good exercise program when trying to conceive.

Last edited by 4star; 11-19-2008 at 07:38 PM.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:14 AM   #11  

I'm pregnant right now at over 400 lbs and I'm 35 I didn't intend for this to happen it was a surprise I'm due March 12th luckily so far (knock on wood) I've been ok but it has been so hard I'm miserable almost all of the time I'm so out of shape the aches and pains really have taken a tole on me and I cannot sleep at all. It has been nothing but worrying because of my weight.
I will be checked Dec 2nd for blood sugars and preclampsia I'm praying they will be ok. My Dr told me she is very afraid to do a C-section because of the healing issues so I have to do my best to deliver vaginally.
I would never suggest someone try to get pregnant this big and If I could do over again I would have really tried to get the weight off before conceiving. Just god had different plans for me. And hopefully my baby girl will be healthy when this is all over that is what is most important to me.
Oh by the way I haven't gained since pregnant they advised me not to gain at all.
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:56 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 353/340/299 (for now)

Height: 5'5"

Just bumping an old thread since I found out yesterday that I'm preggers (not planned). :~) While searching the 'net for info of being pregnant over 300 lbs, all of the articles I found were so depressing and made me cry....basically written with a tone of how a woman is must be the most irresponsible piece of garbage for becoming pregnant while overweight, much less obese.

Glad to see this thread of truthful, yet supportive facts and info. I've at least stopped crying now. lol

Last edited by Dreamgyrl; 11-27-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Dreamgyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:17 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 195/165/150

Height: 5"6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamgyrl View Post
Just bumping an old thread since I found out yesterday that I'm preggers (not planned). :~) While searching the 'net for info of being pregnant over 300 lbs, all of the articles I found were so depressing and made me cry....basically written with a tone of how a woman is must be the most irresponsible piece of garbage for becoming pregnant while overweight, much less obese.

Glad to see this thread of truthful, yet supportive facts and info. I've at least stopped crying now. lol

I just found out this week that I'm pregnant too. Since I'm overweight, I'm really dreading the first OB visit this week.
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:27 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 353/340/299 (for now)

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post

I just found out this week that I'm pregnant too. Since I'm overweight, I'm really dreading the first OB visit this week.
Oh sweetie congrats!

Good luck at your first OB visit! I'm fortunate enough to have recently found a doctor that looks at my entire health and not just a number on a scale and attributes every ailment (cold, dry scalp, etcl) to being overweight.

I've decided to do whatever I can to have a healthy, happy baby right now. The "would of, could of, should of"s are a little too late.
Dreamgyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:35 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 364/ticker/199

Height: 5'11"

I was 340 when I became pregnant with my first son, and 345 with the second. I carried both to term and had beautiful, healthy babies with natural childbirth.
Sonata is offline   Reply With Quote