South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 11-06-2008, 12:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/234/165

Height: 5'10"

Default Starting SBD soon, very soon!

Hi all,
I posted my bio but wanted to say hello. I'm a stay at home mom with a 5 year old girl, and 2 year old GBB triplets. My disabled parents live with us too. Life in our house is very crazy and just doesn't stop until late...I love that quiet time!!

I'm an older mom, so DH and I have to stay healthy to be here for our kids. We are both starting to feel the effects of the extra weight. Sure is hard on a heavy body carrying two 27 pound toddlers up the stairs!!! Right now, I'm trying to learn as much as I can, clean out, what I can, and get some receipes together that my family will eat. I'm planning on starting Monday.

Part of my problem is I have to cook for everyone in the house and even at my age, I feel like I have no idea how to cook...so I cook stuff my mom used to cook, which even though I try to make it more healthy, it is still not the best choice...enriched pasta, potatoes, rice, etc. SOOOO, since I need to learn to cook more healthy, why not learn the SBD way, right?!?! My other issue is my mom. She is 79 years old, overweight and feels deprived if I try to keep the junk out of the house...chips, klondike ice cream bars, white bread and pasta, and processed frozen foods. I've tried talking with her, but food is such an emotional issue for her. (She feels like all she has left in life are her treats...my dad had a stroke and is paralyzed and can't speak.) Needless to say, it can be difficult.
Looking forward to getting to know everyone!
Thank you,
TripMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #2  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Welcome!

One thing about your mom - what about allowing one "treat" into the house per week - her choice. She won't feel so deprived and you won't have so many temptations to deal with.

The recipe section here is great and there are many substitutions for our favorite foods. Simple adjustments can be made to many recipes to make them SB friendly - if you have a recipe and question how it can be converted, just post it and ask...there are some really top notch people around here who know a LOT!

Again, Welcome and GOOD LUCK!
-

ETA: If you don't mind my asking, what does GBB twins mean?

Last edited by zeffryn; 11-06-2008 at 02:38 PM.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:01 PM   #3  
Finding success on beach

Height: 5ft 9"

Zeff - I reread that several times too... it is Girl-Boy-Boy TRIPLETS!!

Welcome TripMom! Sounds like you have your hands full, but you are planning ahead and that makes all the difference in the world.

Good luck and welcome!
Jenskihere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:17 PM   #4  
Heather-Nic

S/C/G: 293.5/248/220

Height: 5'7"

Tripmom - I'm in Fountain Valley!!! Wecome to the boards!
Zeff made a really good suggestion about having just one treat in the house. Another thing that came to mind would be to allow her to keep the treats in her bedroom and then they are simply hers. There are a whole lot of great recipes here that are family friendly, particularly if you add a grain or starch for the kids for dinner. And remember, even those items can easily be converted to become SBD phase 2 compliant. It's totally do-able.
Welcome to the boards, I wish you great success!!!
hmacneil6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:26 PM   #5  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Thanks, Jen I was racking my brain...
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 238/Tick/185

Height: 5' 8"

WOW.....you have a lot of mouths to feed...check out the recipe section!!! What about getting no sugar added treats for your mom???

WELCOME!
movielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 236/234/165

Height: 5'10"

Sorry about that! I'm so used to just using GBB instead of typing one girl and two boys that I didn't even think!

Thank you for the suggestions. I have asked that she keep "stuff" in her room. I even got a large airtight container. That worked for about a month. Since she uses a walker and hurts all the time, it became too much of a chore for her to go get them and most of the time, I'd be the one to have to bring it to her. I do believe I am sort of "over" all her junkie sweets. They just aren't that good, in my mind. I will be trying the one a week.
Thank you for the warm welcome!
TripMom
TripMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:23 PM   #8  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

Welcome glad you joined us
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:05 PM   #9  

Good Luck!
odysseyridge is offline   Reply With Quote