Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-05-2008, 08:19 AM   #1  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default Pigging out (more of a vent than anything, I guess...)

I am working my way through the insurance hoops to get approved for weight loss surgery, but in the meantime, I am still obese and diabetic!

For some reason, I just can't get this to sink in. I need to focus on the NOW and not the future. I need to work my healthy habits NOW. I need to step away from the Oreos and Hershey Kisses in the break room. I need to drive past McDonald's, not drive thru. I need soup and salad for dinner, not soup, salad, AND entree. I need my 2 liters of water each day, not the Super Big Gulp of Coke Zero.

Posting on 3FC has helped me immensely in the past, so maybe putting my thoughts into writing for the world to see will help turn me in the right direction. I am stressed from work and tired from eating so crappy. I'm back to just over 300 pounds and need to pull myself together!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:33 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:49 AM   #3  

Height: 5'6.5

Jillian Bean - Just take one thing at a time. When you are comfronted with that McDonalds drive through just MAKE yourself drive past it. NO OTHER CHOICE. Is feeling the way you feel worth having that 10 mins of food? Go to Subway and get a 6 gram of fat or less sub. Same with the soda stuff. Replace ONE soda per day with the water. Or can you switch to diet soda? Don't try to quit everything bad all at once!
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Jilly ... I have always had great faith in you. You should agree with me
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:19 PM   #5  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieJo View Post
Jillian Bean - Just take one thing at a time. When you are comfronted with that McDonalds drive through just MAKE yourself drive past it. NO OTHER CHOICE. Is feeling the way you feel worth having that 10 mins of food? Go to Subway and get a 6 gram of fat or less sub. Same with the soda stuff. Replace ONE soda per day with the water. Or can you switch to diet soda? Don't try to quit everything bad all at once!
Coke Zero is diet, but the caffeine and phosphoric acid aren't good for anyone even if there are no calories, fat, or sugar. And no, I can't have Subway either--too many carbs (diabetic). Not trying to sound b!tchy, just calrifying

Ya know, I think maybe that's my problem--I feel so insanely restricted due to my health issues (that all slammed down on me at once) that I just throw my hands up and end up in a free-for-all.

Diabetes = as few carbs as possible (no bread, no pasta, no sugar...)
elevated blood pressure = limit caffeine, watch sodium

So what do I eat, plain chicken and broccoli all day, every day?

heh, I know there are lots more options than that (and I know I've even offered lots more suggestions to others when they are feeling overly restricted)--I'm just in one of those moods today. Just a big ol' pity party for myself. I need to suck it up and move on.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:20 PM   #6  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
Jilly ... I have always had great faith in you. You should agree with me
You rock, Susan--always so supportive

I know I can do it--I've done it a hundred times before. It's the sticking to it part that seems to be just out of reach
Old 11-05-2008, 01:27 PM   #7  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Hey Jill! I'm with Susan-- we all know you are capable and we are behind you.

I know you're venting and I don't think I have any advice, but I just want to applaud you for at least acknowledging these issues now instead of when you wake up from the anesthesia. I wish I had given certain issues some thought before I hit maintenance because it was quite the rude awakening.

I admire your courage.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:27 PM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
You rock, Susan--always so supportive

I know I can do it--I've done it a hundred times before. It's the sticking to it part that seems to be just out of reach
Look at it this way.. this time, you don't have a choice.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:29 PM   #9  

Jilly!
I don't post often, but I lurk everyday I just thought it was a funny coincidence that I was actually wondering where you had disappeared to, and here you are today! You've always given sound advice to others, and I know you'll be able to do what you need to in order to motivate and inspire yourself into weight-loss mode. Good luck!

Last edited by thinplease; 11-05-2008 at 01:29 PM.
thinplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:29 PM   #10  

jillybean, everyone gets into funks, i really hope you feel better soon.

also, do you think maybe reminders of what you need to do could help you with this? maybe like a stickynote in the car that says "drive past not drive-thru" or something like that. one time when i was having some really serious binging problems i drew -- and this sounds a little extreme -- huge black x's in marker across the back of both of my palms so every time i reached for something i saw those x's and thought about what i was doing and if my choice was the right one. probably not for most people, but it made me think about what i was doing.
sweet_talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:02 PM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm not sure if this is going to help you or not. But it's worth a shot.

My niece got married last week to a guy who, get this - can't digest protein. That means no chicken, fish, meat, pastas, breads, soy, eggs, ice cream, yogurt, cereal and milk, - and on and on and on.

Talk about a restrictive diet. Whoa!

Then there's people with Celiac's and Crohn's Disease and lots of other diseases that are managed through proper diet. Proper very restrictive diets.

Their "quality of life" depends on it. As well as their very LIVES.. You are no different them them.

Yes it's hard, but they do what they have to do.

I've started to look at my own morbid obesity, my own "food issues" as a chronic, on going disease. One that CAN be managed with proper eating and exercise. Sure it's hard. But what other choices are there?

You are young. And smart. And deserve to have the very best life that you can possibly have. There is no reason on earth that you should be settling for second best. First best is right within your reach. It's right there. Reach out and grab a hold of it.

Why not focus on what you CAN eat, instead of what you CAN'T? And I know this sounds crazy and hard to imagine, but once you get into this - you really WILL get into this and before you know it, this whole new "diet" WILL become your new way of life. You will feel so great, both physically and mentality that you will wonder why on earth you didn't make the change sooner. You will be feeling so ecstatic that you will not even miss "those other foods".

Just because something is hard, doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a try - just means you should try HARDER.

Jilly, I know you can do this. I know you can. And trust me, you will not regret it for a teeny, tiny second.

Jilly, make a commitment, make a plan, stock up your home, prepare foods to take to work with you and stick with it like your very life depends on it. Because is DOES. It does. No ifs ands or buts.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 11-05-2008 at 02:04 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:26 PM   #12  
Eating for two!

Robin, you rock (hence the name, right? I know, that was super cheesy ). And you're right about everything, of course. And I KNOW I can get back into the groove--I've done it before, and I've been successful before.

I will say the sodium thing is tough (not impossible, but tough). In successfully managing my diabetes on a low-carb diet, I enjoyed sandwich meats, cheese, light hot dogs, asian-flavored sauces and dressings made myself without sugar (but with soy sauce!), etc...all LOADED with sodium! I just have to find a way to make foods I enjoy work within my plan, just as I had to do so when cutting the carbs. Find what I like and adjust it to fit.

I would really like to be below 300 when I have my surgery (preferably below 290 since I have been as low as 288 within the past 6 months, so I'd like to get back to that), and I'm looking at a surgery date likely around March or April, so that's PLENTY of time. My surgeon is not requiring that I lose any weight, nor is my regular physician, but I want to do it for ME.

So, here I go!

Thanks, everyone. I know I've not ben posting much on 3FC since I made the decision to get WLS (excpt somtimes in the WLS section), so I really appreciate you all being here for me still even though I've been distant
Old 11-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Jilly,

Two thoughts....

Why don't you focus on healthy eating rather than weight loss at this time. After the surgery you will still have to deal with the limited types of foods...but presumably your ability to eat the quantities will be limited.

If you eliminate the sugars and high carbs...try using low sodium soy. I had to restrict sodium as well, I always loved salting everything. Now I find that I am much more sensitive to sodium.

You can do this...and your life depends on it.
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:21 PM   #14  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora123a View Post
Why don't you focus on healthy eating rather than weight loss at this time.
Well, hopefully, the healthy eating will cause some weight loss! But, yes, my focus is on eating appropriately. No tears will be shed if I don't get down to a certain weight before surgery

The type of surgery I'm having should help me to have a healthier diet. It is very likely the surgery will send my diabetes into full remission (some doctors actually use the worde "cure," but I am somewhat more cautious), so I should be able to eat good/whole/natural carbs in addition to my high-protein diet. I will also not have to watch fat intake very much (though I will forever avoid trans fats) since I will only absorb about 20% of the fat I eat. And, of course, portion control will be easier since my stomach will be smaller and grehlin will be almost completely removed.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:13 PM   #15  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Jill (my little sister!): You are so much like me it's not even funny!

I don't want to see you get to be my age and still struggling with obesity. You KNOW what to do (as do I!)--you've done it before, and you can do it again! I wish I could go back to when I was your age (with all of my life experience from now!). I would have this fat thing LICKED!!

You can do it! I have so much faith in you!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote