Old 11-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 254/see tracker/154

Height: 5'8"

Angry Evil Quiznos

My husband wanted to eat in the mall food court today so my food choices were limited to Taco Bell, BK, Sbarros, Chinese and Quiznos. I chose quiznos figuring it can't be too bad. I had a regular honey mustard chicken with bacon. Ya it had some swiss cheese and some bacon but I figured it wouldn't be as bad as a whopper. It wasn't a lot of bacon or cheese. It was really yummy too I was guessing it was going to be around 700 calories tops. Well **** no it is 1010 calories. I was floored by this amount. No wonder they don't post their nutrition data anywhere. I am now almost at 1400 calories and still to have dinner curse you Quiznos.
koolkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #2  
=D

Whoa - 1010 kcals. That's a lot. If you exercised today and don't eat a massive dinner - the damage won't be completely terrible, considering another 500 cals or so might just put you at your active metabolic rate for the day. You won't lose, but you won't gain..

Still, though - I understand the frustration of taking a thousand calorie hit in one sitting.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/187/145

Don 't you hate when you eat something that you think is not so bad and afterfact you look it up and could shoot yourself

Next time try Taco Bell.....Chicken Gordita 300 calories
ready2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

Wow! 1010 calories? That is insane. I actually had a similar experience lately, but not quite on the over 1000 calorie level. I went to World Wraps, and they no longer have the portebello mushroom and goat cheese wrap I used to get
(500 calories) -- so I ordered one that was chicken with whole beans, rice, salsa, lettuce, etc...seemed reasonable from the description. When I got home, I looked it up and it had 750ish calories. Hello? I felt like they must have smeared lard all over the inside of the tortilla!!! I HATE when this happens...which is why I always seem to eat the same things when I'm out. No surprises make me happy.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Yeah, amazingly enough Taco Bell might be the healthiest choice there. Their Fresco burrito supreme is only 330 calories. The Fresco grilled steak soft taco is 160 calories - and you could have 3 of those for under 500 cals.

Pretty amazing when Taco Bell comes out ahead of a supposedly "healthy" sandwich shop, huh?

Of course with Taco Bell you do have to watch the sodium, but I can drink water to flush sodium. I'd rather have a little too much salt than too many calories.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:01 PM   #6  
FB

I so hate that!

There is something I get pretty often from Quiznos that's not all that bad. Their Black and Bleu salad without dressing or bread is only 270 calories. I take it home (Quiznos is down the street from me) and use healthy dressing. If I were in a pinch, eating there in public I'd probably have it without any dressing or just have a bit as it adds somewhere around 150 calories.

I know they have other salads too that are pretty low in calories without the bread or dressing. I've never inquired about low cal dressings, but they likely have them.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:33 PM   #7  
starting over again

The calories and fat in most quiznos food is unbelievable. I usually stick to the veggie sub no cheese or guacamole and with red wine vinegar instead of the dressing that comes with it.
Marms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've learned that where restaurants are concerned, it's almost impossible to accurately guestimate calories. Even though I don't follow WW points anymore, I keep my WW restaurant food guide in the car, and I also print restaurant nutrition guides and keep them in a folder. If there's exchange information (because I use an exchange plan), I print that out too.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:24 PM   #9  
BELIEVE!

Yikes! It was a learning experience.
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 238/Tick/185

Height: 5' 8"

What if you would have taken off the bacon, cheese, and dressing...I bet that would have taken off a TON!!!!
movielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:00 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I normally get 2 of the little sammies without cheese or mayo and a small bowl of chili (which is salty as **** but tasty). Very filling and about 500 calories for everything (a big lunch for me, but not a bad fast food tally).

Last edited by Glory87; 11-04-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:07 AM   #12  

Height: 5'3"

Last night before grocery shopping I decided to have something to eat at KFC. All I had all day was an apple juice and a V8. I know it is not good to go all day without food but we had nothing in the house at all and I was too busy until around 3 pm to get to the grocery store.

I had thier 'Toonie Tuesday' special (a Canadian KFC special every Tuesday) which is a small fries and a drumstick and a thigh and a small individual salad. I picked potato salad. I washed it down with a small diet pepsi.

Now normally I don't eat at KFC because of the gluten (even though I *can* handle a wee bit of gluten off an on) and I * very rarely* drink diet pop because of the artificial sweeteners in it, but they did not even have bottled water. I probably should have asked for water from the tap but only God knows how clean thier kitchen is.. LOL.

I figured the whole meal would not be a bad calorie hit but after figuring it out from thier nutritional info on thier website the calories came out to 990. More then half of my daily *high* allowance of 1700.

Net time I will either eat at McDonalds or Tim Hortons which are both at the same intersection. I probably could have had something better at either of those places for way less calories and a lot less grease.

Edited to add: I just did a bit of nutritional number crunching and I could have had a Big Mac without the sauce and the cheese but with extra tomato, lettuce and pickles for approx. 400 calories. Washed down with 2 bottles of water and I would have not been hungry while grocery shopping.

Edited to add some more: I crunched numbers even *further* and I could have had (at McDonalds) 2 chicken fajitas with no cheese and extra tomato (190 calories each), a side garden salad for 25 calories and gotten a packet of 60 calorie lowfat Italian dressing and dipped my fork tines in that before digging into my salad. Washed down with a bottle of water and a plain coffee or a plain tea and the whole meal would have come around 425 calories depending on how sparingly I used that salad dressing.

Last edited by canadianwoman; 11-05-2008 at 07:44 AM.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:51 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I think a lot of times people really REALLY don't think about what they're ordering. I am *not* picking on you, I hope you know that! It's just that you said you thought it wouldn't be a bad calorie hit, but even before I read any further, just based on what you said you ordered, I knew it would be close to 1000 calories, if not more.
Quote:
a small fries
Automatically you have to know that fries have a TON of nutritionally useless calories. Doesn't matter that it's a small - it's potatoes fried in large quantities of OIL.
Quote:
and a drumstick and a thigh
Dark meat always has more calories and fat than white meat. Plus it's fried in breading. You'd be better off picking a breast and peeling the skin and breading off or getting a piece of grilled chicken.
Quote:
and a small individual salad. I picked potato salad.
Potato salad + fries = double order of potatos. Plus potato salad is made with mayo and other creamy ingredients. Automatically you have to know that this is calorie city.

You could have eaten significantly fewer calories at KFC by taking a few minutes to thinking about what went into each item and it's preparation and making a few different choices.

Pick a grilled chicken product instead of a fried one.
Eat white meat instead of dark
Skip the fries entirely
Skip the potato salad and get a side salad or a side of corn instead

Or you could get a toasted wrap with a grilled breast fillet for around 310 calories.

Again, please know I'm NOT picking on you! But you said:
Quote:
Net time I will either eat at McDonalds or Tim Hortons which are both at the same intersection. I probably could have had something better at either of those places for way less calories and a lot less grease.
And my whole point it that you could have still eaten at KFC and also had way less calories and a lot less grease, by just thinking about what you were ordering.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 11-05-2008 at 10:51 AM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:49 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 231/165/140

Height: 5'5"

If I'm out & have to eat, either because I'm going to die of starvation or I haven't been eating enough that day to avoid starvation mode, I usually hit up a McDonalds & get either apple dipper, which are only like 60 or so calories w/ the caramel dip or a 4 piece chicken nugget, which is 170 calories. I always get a bottle of water with it to help me "feel" full. I have school 2 nites a week immediately after work & I usually find myself @ McD's getting a 4 piece to get me threw the 3 hour class I am about to suffer threw! I think I might start skipping that though, cause lately I've only been losing 1 lb a week and it's really starting to mess with my motivation, losing so slowly... :-(
Extasee58865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:46 AM   #15  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
I normally get 2 of the little sammies without cheese or mayo and a small bowl of chili (which is salty as **** but tasty). Very filling and about 500 calories for everything (a big lunch for me, but not a bad fast food tally).
That's what I usually get too and I split the chili with my 4 year old because he LOVES that stuff.

The sammies are yummy!

Taco Bell has some good choices, too. Fresco crunchy tacos are only like 150 calories each! I've been known to grab one on my way home from work (at 11pm or midnight) in a pinch to keep me from binging at home. They probably think I'm a weirdo ordering nothing but a large water and one taco haha.

Last edited by ValRock; 11-07-2008 at 09:48 AM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote