PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/270/160

Height: 5'7

Exclamation 22 year old latina new to PCOS ...Please Help

Hey everyone! I'm new to this as well as Pcos. I was diagnosed with it a couple weeks back and I really don't know where to start. I'm at a unhealthy weight of 270 pounds and im just 22!!!! Im getting married on July the 04th and well, even though I'm young my fiance and I have been trying to conceive for 2 years now and no luck. The doctor says losing weight will hopefully help me with this and he put me on metformin 500 (1 a day) and Ocella (BC).I'm wondering how long it takes to start seeing weight loss. I know there is no exact time but approximately? And if anyone has some advice for me I would greatly appreciate it. My family is somewhat supportive but really don't do much to motivate me or to educate themselves on my new life style. I greatly appreciate all your help .

Thank You.
BumbleBee22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:01 AM   #2  
WW Moderator

Hi Bumblebee. You're probably not going to see much weight loss from 500mg of Met. Is that a starter dose, or does your Dr plan on keeping you there? Also, did he suggest a diet plan for you?

Also, let me throw this in here - it is very, very important that you try and lose as much weight as possible before conceiving. You risk a lot of complications for you and your baby if you were to get pregnant at this weight. You've got time, just focus on getting healthy now so you can be a better and healthier Mommy.

Last edited by Jennifer 3FC; 11-04-2008 at 12:02 AM.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

500mg of met does seem like a very low dose. I didn't see any changes until I started on 1500mg, but along with that I was also working out VERY hard & eating a high protein, high veg diet. Met, unfortunately, will not do it alone for you.

Congratulations on your wedding!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote