Old 11-02-2008, 01:53 AM   #1  
Made of Starstuff

Default Weekly Topic Discussion #6

Hello everyone! Welcome to this week's discussion!

This is for anyone who wants to contribute. If you have something to say, large or small, share it with the rest of us! It benefits everyone.

This week's topic: Dining VS Dieting

Imagine two rooms, if you will.

In one room, there is a beautifully set dining table. A single candle burning. Light music playing.

In another, the dining room table is covered in clutter. Barely room to sit down. The TV is on, playing a sitcom.

In each room the same meal is being served. Which room would we rather eat in?

We humans were gifted with many senses with which to enjoy the world. Senses that play off of eachother, that compliment eachother. We can take full advantage of this for our meals and snacks. The point is to have a satisfying meal, not just food, but a meal that includes visual satisfaction.

There are so many options about how to improve not only the area where we eat, but the food presentation on a plate, so that we're enjoying everything about the meal and not just eating because it is time to eat.

How might you take 30 seconds to improve the look of a plate of food?

How about where you eat?

This is a small, but important part of our lifestyle change. When we're fully satisfied, we're more likely to stick with our plans. Enjoy your food. Don't just 'eat it'.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:00 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

This topic really hit me. As I've been thinking over how I've been eating the past month, I realize I haven't been enjoying my food. Oh, it tastes good. But, it's been missing something. It's almost like I've forgotten that I ate. I've been eating in front of the TV, not at a table (unless you count the coffee kind), and my food has been unceremoniously plopped onto a paper plate.

I deserve better. I should take advantage of meal time to indulge myself not only in yummy food, but in yummy surroundings.

My group had some great suggestions, and I think they can really help a room & a plate to pop.

Color: Every plate of food needs color. So not just having chicken and mashed potatoes, but include a vegetable like broccoli so the plate is automatically brightened. Or have parsley on hand to quickly cut a sprig. Not long to do, and it makes the plate seem special. A wedge of lemon is also easy to cut & place.

Set your table like you would for a guest. You're important and your meals are important. Enjoy the fine china, light a candle, pull out some seasonal plate settings. Or even buy yourself a quick and cheap place setting from Target or the Christmas Tree Shop just to make it feel more like a meal.

I like the idea of light music playing in the background. Like being a restaurant in your own home.

My leader even suggested that a frozen meal can be served wonderfully. If you're at home, take 30 seconds to remove it from the plastic container once it's cooked, and to put it on a plate. It makes a difference.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote