Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-01-2008, 01:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/173/140

Height: 5'9

Default halloween isn't fun anymore

so halloween has pretty much ruined my life. how am i supposed to sit here with my brothers load of candy just sitting there taunting me!....whyy does candy have to be my favourite thing!
fleming13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

aww. I know how you feel.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:11 PM   #3  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

if candy ruins your life you obviously need a serious attitude change...and you need to thank God that candy is your only issue!
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Gotta agree with LandonsBaby on this one.

I love Halloween and it has nothign to do with the candy. I love decorating the front of the house. I love putting on a costume (this year I was a cat). I love opening the door to all the little kids and ooh-ing and ahh-ing over their costumes. I love giving out candy and treats and watching the kids.

You have to learn to make the events in your life NOT about food. When you make the holidays you enjoy all about the food and then you say that the holiday has "ruined your life" ... that's a problem.

And maybe you were just joking, but often we joke about things that are really serious to us. Maybe this could be a good wakeup call for you to reexamine how you enjoy holidays and see if you can remove food from that equation (or at least make it not as important).

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #5  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Don't let candy ruin your life...a man will do that soon enough...HAHA! (kidding!) The only Halloween candy that even tempts me is Reese Peanut butter cups. I love those things!!! I just told my kids to put their candy away and out of my face...LOL.

We live in a very rural location and have to go into town to Trick-or-Treat. We go to a little town with only about 10 houses that participate. (And all of us country moms bring treats to pass around too). This year I gave each kid a backpack survival kit. It was a baggie that contained a chap-stick, small hand sanitizer, small kleenex pack, cough drops and some band-aids. The kids LOVED them. We start out at the park and have a little picnic with several country kids. After we eat we do a hay rack ride around town. There is actually very little candy to be had, just mostly fun and games...Showing off our costumes. I dressed up as a Yuppie Witch this year. I wore a black business suit, a string of pearls, a blond wig & a witches hat...oh and of course a designer "broom". Last week when I told my 3 year old Goddaughter I was going to be a Witch for Halloween she smiled and said..."Oh, all you need is a broom" <GRIN>
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #6  
150 by my 50th!!!

S/C/G: 341/261.4/150

Height: 5'7"

Can you make some healthy alternatives? Hungry Girl has published a bunch for healthy ww friendly treats such as reeses cups, peppermint kisses, etc. I personally am not a sweet eater but when the mood does strike me I make sure its the best piece of chocolate I can find, ww fudge I make that is 1-2 points a piece (depending on the size you make them) or have good and plenty or junior mints and make sure I account for the points in my daily allotment. No holiday should rule your life; enjoy your family and friends and find healthy alternatives.
Arlene Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Candy DOESN'T have to ruin your life. Secondly, you CAN actually have a piece or two, if you choose wisely. A full size Tootsie Pop is only 60 calories, and it takes a long time to eat, if you don't bite it. There are ways to enjoy a little of the treat...in moderation.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #8  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

I am no fan of Halloween. In my town it is a seriously major holiday. The kids are allowed to come home from school to change into their costumes (if they want to) and then everyone gathers for a parade. The parade is followed by a party and then everyone gathers to trick or treat and gather pounds of sweets. I find it all a bit absurd.

OK, I know I am a Halloween grouch. As a working mom, it involves taking the day off. But, it is true that my kids (and DH) have a blast. (BTW, this year I was getting sick, which I didn't realize at the time) I took soooo much medicine just to get thru the day and night that by the end, I was feeling good and got into the spirit of fun.

Now I have all those sweets in our basement refridge and kiddos can have one per day. They may last until february. (And I have to talk myself out of eating them, nightly.)

Last edited by kittycat40; 11-03-2008 at 12:00 PM.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #9  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

I despise Halloween. But the kids love it. I take them around ToTing, and when we're done take a 1 piece "tax" from their buckets (this year I got a bag of pretzels, a reese's mini bar and a super ball that was too small for my youngest daughter to play with).

Try to seperate yourself from the candy. I don't know much about you, other than your brothers love to taunt you with the haul, but I can say with certainty that there are things more tempting than candy. If I get a real craving for it, I'll take one piece, and remind myself that anything beyond that will lead to a sluggish, painful stomach knot.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:33 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 185/180/155

Height: 5'8"

Instead of thinking about how good candy is, focus on how you feel after you eat candy you shouldn't.
Athendta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #11  
Keto on!

S/C/G: 256/200/180

Height: 5'6

Athendta that is a great idea! I'm going to remember that next time I want to go off plan.
Gela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:13 AM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I have to say I never cared much for halloween but now I love it. I love handing out candy and seeing the little kids. I had so much fun on friday. I hung outside with the neighbors passing out candy and talking.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote