Old 10-29-2008, 11:08 AM   #1  
I can DOET!

S/C/G: 210/210/140

Height: 5'3"

Default My Weight loss Epic Journey

Hello. Im Sarah! I posted in the "getting to know you thread". So go get to know me. LOL.

This is My weight loss journey!

As of today October 29th 2008 I weigh 210 pounds. I am 5'3". (I dont really know my measurements) My pants size is a 16-18 and I wear an XXL/ XL shirt.

I have had 2 kids since 2004. I gained 50 pounds with the first lost only 20 of those pounds then gained 40 more pounds with my second son.

I was a smoker, for the past 8 years. I quit COLD TURKEY 6 weeks ago.
YAY me!

My weight loss goals are: To be healthy! I want to lose 70 pounds- which would bring me to 140. I would like to lose them in about 13 months. (Is that realistic?) To bring me to my goal I am counting calories, the calories I would burn if I laid in bed all day (whats that called again?) is 1777.4. I figured out that before my life change "Diet" I was consuming WELL over 2000 cal/day. Im going to start out at 1600 cal intake per day. (Is that safe? Good? Healthy?) Im cutting out most of my snacks and high fat foods. About a year ago I switched to DIET soda. I am trying to boost my water intake as well.

My work out regimen so far is doing The 30 Day Shred to the "T", Everyday. So far I am on day 2. Its very strange for me to say this but I LOVE IT. After only 1 time of doing it, it was easier for me to do the workout today! O M G. I love this DVD!. Im thinking after I complete the 30 days, I'll continue with the Shed, but only every other day....SO that means I need to find another work out dvd soon for the "off the shed days." Anyone have any suggestion? Or does anyone want to go on this journey with me?

I need all the words of encouragement you have. Kick my butt, tell me I'm fat...I need to lose weight. I need to stay as motivated as I am right now....sitting here covered in the 30 day shred SWEAT, panting and shaking.

So there it is in a nut shell. Thank you for caring enough to read it!

<3 Sarah
Sarahkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:15 AM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

Hi Sarah Welcome.
70 lbs in 13 months is very realistic! It can be done.
And congratulations on quitting smoking, good for you. Thats my next step.
Best of luck.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:00 PM   #3  
You Will Get There

S/C/G: 316/316/200

Height: 5'7"

Great!!!!! Great!!!!!! Great!!!!!! You can definitely lose the weight in 13 months.

Last edited by erricah; 10-29-2008 at 12:39 PM.
erricah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 181/155/133

Hi Sarah! Welcome and congrats on giving up smoking! I think the amount of calories you would burn if you laid in bed all day is called the basal metabolic rate (BMR).
I love the 30 Day Shred too - it's a killer to get through but it feels so good afterwards! I do pilates as well as the Shred and I find it's a good balance; it's a lot calmer but it helps strengthen up muscles and then Jillian puts them to good use
BlergIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 135/132.5/125

Height: 5ft4in

Hi Sarah! :hello: Welcome!

I'm a newb too, but I can certianly reach out in the weight loss sense...

A couple questions...

Have you been active before? If you have, then your body will remember and you will be able to restart with little problems, however, if you've never really been athletic, or if it's been years since, you might need to start off a little slower than the 30DS. I say that for several reasons, one-because you need to go slow to avoid injury, and two-you don't want to burn yourself out in the first 30 days with a program that might be too complicated. The best thing to do is to start walking. Your own two legs are your best workout tool, start walking, then walk longer, then add jogging, then jog longer, then add running, then run harder and faster!!! See what I mean? You can log your progress, the results are easy to see/log!

Also, wrt calories...your daily activity level will really project your success. I see that 1600 cal/day is a good range for you, do you have any idea how to calculate calories, or log meals? fitday.com is a very good(free!) tool for calculating calories and logging meals. It's easier too, if you eat relatively the same things in a week, because you can "store" foods there.

Your goal is realistic, 13 months/70lbs. You could probably up the ante and make it happen in 10 months. I don't mean to push, but you can do it. I've read that having a high (realistic) goal enables success better than drawn out, sensible goals. In the end, most of us are competitive creatures and having a big goal is motivating and inspiring.

I wish you the best of luck (not that luck has anything to do with it) and always remember, weightloss and the journey to health and fitness is a lifestyle, and embrace it as such!
Kataclismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:06 AM   #6  
I can DOET!

Day 3 of the 30 day shred. I am loving this workout! Its so empowering!

Tomorrow- Friday I am going to weigh myself to see how much I really weigh, I will post after I get the results.

So should I weigh my self like once a week or every 2 weeks? Or every month?

I know I shouldnt weigh myself everyday. Really my weight doesnt matter to me I just care how my body changes. And I am feeling muscles where I never knew I had any- WOOT!

Also- Say I wanted to try running... Should I start off by walking? Then speed walking then running? BUT, its VERY cold out side... So I might wait till spring for the whole running thing....the Perks of living in NY!

Last edited by Sarahkatt; 10-30-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 135/132.5/125

Height: 5ft4in

Great work on day three!

You can weigh in once per week, it will give you a good idea of how your progress is going. Also, measurements are awesome to chart progress.

Wrt running, Hey, I live in Saskatchewan, it's friggen COLD here, but running in the winter/fall is invigorating! As long as you can do it safely (beware of ICE!) there is great winter running gear at the Running room and Lulu Lemon, Nike makes some good stuff too!

For beginner running, the C25K program (couch potato to 5 km runner) is really effective. I think the link is coolrunnings.com
Kataclismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:15 PM   #8  
I can DOET!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataclismic View Post
For beginner running, the C25K program (couch potato to 5 km runner) is really effective. I think the link is coolrunnings.com

That was the coolest article and program ever. THANK YOU. I really feel like I can ease myself into running...
Running would also give me at least 30 mins every other day out of the house with no kids or husband...LOL...I think IM going to steal Hubbys Ipod!

I feel ya on the cold thing....Its so cold here and its only Oct.

You run in the winter/snow? Could you give me some advice?
Old 10-30-2008, 12:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Good luck sarah! you can do it!
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:36 PM   #10  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahkatt View Post
(whats that called again?)
(Is that safe? Good? Healthy?)
BMR, I believe... basic metabolic rate. The number of calories it takes your body just to function properly.

And.. 70 lbs in 13 months is great! It's less than a pound and a half a week, and the standard "healthy weight loss rate" is 2 lbs a week or less, so you're defo on the right track!!

If you came to 3FC for tough love... you probably won't get it. When they start wheeling in an industrial scale to weigh you, I'll tell you you're fat. For now... you're just in the middle of a metamorphosis.

Now, if you came to 3FC for motivation... honey, you came to the right place. These girls are lovely, wonderful, friendly, inspiring, and fantastic. How can you doubt your ability to lose 10, 20, or even 70 lbs, when you look around at some of the ladies who've lost that much and more?? Take tips from girlies who are well on their way at your beginning, and when you're well on your way yourself, you'll be able to talk to others who are just starting out about what worked for you!

My biggest tip for staying motivated, and continuing your own weight loss journey is to stick around the forums. When you're good, when you're bad, when you've just eaten an entire cake... come to the forums and tell everyone about the successes, the set-backs, and dish about day to day life.

Welcome to 3FC, and a whole new you.
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote