Old 10-28-2008, 01:35 PM   #1  

Default New to Medifast

Hi everyone!

I am new to Medifast and have been lurking around this forum for some time now.
I was all signed up and scheduled to have lap band surgery on 9/25/08 and as part of that surgical program my doctor required his patients to be put on Medifast for about four weeks. I went ahead and purchased one weeks worth of Medifast and a few days later decided to post pone my sugery for various reasons.
That being said, I still had possession of this one weeks worth of Medifast shakes and have been putting off beginning the plan. Well, yesterday I took the plunge and mixed the shakes, drank three of them, and had one meal which consisted of a green salad with chicken, dressing was olive oil and lemon. Today I got up and have already consumed two shakes.
I feel pretty hungry but I really want to give this a very strong effort to see if it's a plan that I can handle. If I find that I can handle it, I will go ahead and purchase some shakes, puddings etc...
Has anyone ever followed the plan for lets say, the week days and went off the plan for the weekends in order to continue their social life? I'm not sure I can do this because we go out to dinner and have a very active social life on the weekends. What about having a glass of wine on the weekends? Does anyone have advice to add, based on experience?

Thank you!
AmyK811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/181/135

Height: 5'7

I think that if you know you can't do the complete life style change and live off the shakes for the rest of your life, then why try it? You have to make a life change. Drinking shakes isn't it. Nor is giving up wind!!! OK, maybe I like my wine too! But seriously, I think you have to do a life change. I'm not there yet either.
chunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:08 PM   #3  
Let's go LEAN!

S/C/G: 185/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

"For the rest of your life"?? I don't think that's the plan for Medifast.
AshleyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:35 PM   #4  
DanLovesMedifast

S/C/G: 358/265.8/159

Height: 6

Medifast Rocks and Works, If you want to lose weight and are ready to make a life Style Change it will work for you.

It's your decision and it certainly is a commitment.

I like how you prepare one meal a day on your own to learn new behaviors and choices around healthy foods.

Chucky, if you can't go without booze it is certainly not for you.

But if you can go without alcohol it can work and is a safe and highly effective Program.

Best of Luck to you Amy and your decision, I know what the decision was like for me.

I knew I could do it if I wanted too. And, I am.

I had to make the decision first and NOT look for excuses!

That was my story.

Hope you find a plan that will work for you.

To each their own I always say!

Hope to see you on the Boards Amy!

Dan-O
DanLovesMedifast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #5  

Thanks to all that responded!

I'm at least going to give it a one week try. I'll tell you, though, it's day two for me and I am very very hungry and I have a headache.
I'm hoping that it will get easier.

Tonight I'm going to have some turkey sausage and green peppers cooked in a little olive oil and maybe a little green salad.
Are there portion requirements?

Also, Dan, My goodness, you've lost a ton of weight, huh? How long did that take you?

Last edited by AmyK811; 10-28-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #6  
Operator265

Yes, there are portion requirements. If you go to www.medifast1.com you can download all the guides(plan, transition and maintenance) for free.

You won't be living off the shakes for the rest of your life though, just until you get to maintenance. I am going back on after a couple months "sabbatical". I haven't gained any weight off the program, though, b/c I chose better foods. Even when I have to C-store shop for my lunches I go to a Maverik where I can get exorbitantly overpriced chef salads and pre-prepped fruit. I eat deli wraps that I make myself, usually, instead of burgers and fries. And, THANK HEAVENS, you get to eat fruit again when you transition. That was a major drawback for me being OP.

Last edited by Operator265; 10-28-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:37 PM   #7  

Thanks for the link to the portion requirements. I just read that one packet of Equal is counted as one of the three condiment options...Oh, boy...I have had coffee and tea these past two days and have used several packets of the stuff in each cup...I also have consumed Crystal Lite and Diet Pepsi...
That's a bummer...
Old 10-29-2008, 09:47 AM   #8  
I Can Do This

S/C/G: 209/186/160

Height: 5'4"

Hello Amy,
Since you have cancelled the lap band surgery, why not give MediFast a try for 1 month? I can understand the hunger you have with the shakes only, I tried shakes only one day I didn't feal to great either. Order some of the other options like, pudding, oatmeal, beef/veg stew and maybe it will be easier to transition. The plan does work and you can still go out to dinner but you will have to save that meal as your one lean & green meal. You could order grilled fish & vegetables or a large salad with 7 oz of grilled chicken. I would hold off on the wine. Maybe later as you lose some of the weight you can have it as a treat on special occassions but not in the begining. If you decide to give it a try, you can find us MF people in our monthly chat section on these boards. Good luck Amy.

Last edited by TwoBThinAgain; 10-29-2008 at 09:47 AM.
TwoBThinAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:09 PM   #9  
DanLovesMedifast

Hi Amy, It took me 18 weeks to lose 94.2 lbs!

Gotta LOVE MF!

I know I do!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:38 PM   #10  

Thanks for your advice, TwoB...I will consider that. One month can't be that bad now, right? LOL! I don't think I can make it on the shakes alone...I'm really hungry all day.
How strict are you guys on the only three condiment rule? In my morning coffee, alone, I've been using three Equal packets, per cup, so that totals six. Then I may have a few glasses of Crystal Lite which contains Aspartame. I am very impressed by the rapid weight loss though...wow!! Dan, you are incredible!! When people see you they must think you've had gastric bypass surgery!!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:54 PM   #11  
DanLovesMedifast

Well, they don't say that yet, but here's Hoping! LOL

As far as condiments, I am very strict, don't usually use all three myself.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:53 PM   #12  

I'm on day four and it's a little easier than it was the first three days. I'm really gonna give this plan a lot of effort!
Thanks to all for answering me!
Old 10-30-2008, 06:23 PM   #13  
I Can Do This

S/C/G: 209/186/160

Height: 5'4"

Hello Amy,
In the MF start up guide that comes with the food order it says you can have Crystal Light in addition to water, so I don't think we have to worry about that in the condiment allowance. I haven't had Crystal Light in a very long time. Ive been drinking smart water in 33 ounce bottles. Once I drink 2 a day I consider myself done with water for the day. I don't pay to much attention to the condiment rule only because I really don't use them. I use one sweet n low on my oatmeal every day and if I have the scrambled eggs I put a small amount of low carb ketchup on them. Other than that I don't use them.
I'm glad the days are getting easier for you and I'm glad you decided to give it a try.
Susan

Last edited by TwoBThinAgain; 10-30-2008 at 06:23 PM.
TwoBThinAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:45 PM   #14  
DanLovesMedifast

Smile New Bar Info! Can't Wait!

Introducing NEW Medifast Bars in three delicious flavors that add variety to your meal plans:

Chocolate Mint Crunch, Caramel Crunch, and Peanut Butter Crunch!

Benefits
• Great, crunchy new taste
• All the protein and fiber of the original Bars (and more!)
• Lower in calories, total fat, and carbohydrates than the original Bars
• Completely interchangeable with other Medifast Meals (no more “just one bar a day”)
• More new flavors on the way in the months ahead

The New Bars Can be kept in your purse, cookie jar, and car. They’re:
• Convenient and portable
• Satisfying when you’re on the go
• A great “emergency Meal” when you’re stuck at work or in traffic, etc.
• A wonderful way to recharge after your workout
• A filling and nutritious snack for the whole family–better than candy bars!

The good news doesn’t stop here: Stay tuned for more NEW FLAVORS coming soon!

Crunchy
Medifast Bars
Frequently Asked Questions

Q Are the new Bars as filling as the original Bars?
A Yes! They’re made from the same scientifically designed balance of protein and fiber that provides the same high Fullness IndexTM
as the rest of the Medifast Meals.

Q Will the new Bars be offered in addition to the original ones, or will they replace them?
A We are keeping our original Caramel Nut, Oatmeal Raisin, and Chocolate Mint Bars. All of our other original Bar flavors will be
available as supplies last, then they will be discontinued.

Q Are the new Bars a lot smaller than the original Bars?
A No, the new Bars are similar in both size and weight to the original ones.

Q Will the new Bars be included in Variety Packages?
A Yes! Variety Packages will include the new Bars beginning in November.

Q How much will they cost?
A The same as our original Bars.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:47 PM   #15  
DanLovesMedifast

Welcome Amy!

Hi Susan!