Old 10-26-2008, 10:53 PM   #1  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

Height: 5'5"

Default At home support Oct 26-Nov 1 Getting Past those treaters

Well I thought I would start this weeks thread with a thought...How are we going to sneak past those trick or treat candies?

I am still putting off even buying any yet for the short little monsters who visit each year hoping the less time I have candy in the house the less time I will have to say to myself..its only 'one' piece--over and over again LOL

Now that it is getting closer and closer to the holidays I am finding I am looking for more ww recipes to use for my cooking. I did find one for stuffing I need to test drive using ff crackers and an apple. Anyone try that one yet? I know the turkey will not be a problem, hmm mashed potato's and gravey well my thoughts on that was omit it from the table and substitute with steamed veggies? appitizers well looking for suggestions. I know if I fill the table with the great tastes from ww recipes the rest of the family will eat it and I won't have to worry about each mouthful I chew. Being on the wendie plan too I will move my SHP day to thurs instead of wed

Looking forward to all the ideas us smart chickies have
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 207/ticker/130

Height: 5'0''

Hiya,

My Thanksgiving plan is just to eat on plan the whole week -- and use my 35 flex points on thanksgiving day. Is it a great plan? Nope. But I only get to see my family about twice a year (Thanksgiving and Christmas), so I'm not going to feel guilty about indulging myself those two days. Just gotta be good the other 363 days of the year!!!

I hope everyone had a great weekend!
ZetaMD2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:52 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 354/252/180

Height: 5'5

How about buying Halloween candy that you don't like for the Trick or Treaters? I can always stay away from hard candies, dum dums, etc. Or hand out the mini Play Dough containers this year. Target has a big "trick or treat" bag of them. You could also hand out Halloween Goldfish - they come in individual "Halowee" serving bags as well!

As for Thanksgiving, I'm not planning to do much differently. We always go to DH's aunts house - I will probably bring a fruit and veggie tray. There will be turkey, salad, and a few other veggies I'll eat. I AM planning of getting a massive amount of exercise on Black Friday when I am going to SHOP TIL I DROP!

Nancy - I found a mashed potato recipe in a magazine I subscribe to called "Diet & Nutrition" I will dig it out for you and post it here! It gave all of the nutrition info, so you could easily convert the points.
texscrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:00 AM   #4  
Sally

S/C/G: 223/ticker/165

Height: 5'6"

hey guys! just doing a mini-check in... as of last weeks weigh in i've lost 7.4#'s. I'm on week 4 started yesterday... i do my weigh ins on tuesday's though, so i will find out this week's loss tomorrow

my problem is going to not be staying away from the candy, but rather from the booze when i go out with a friend on halloween night lol
sxulcmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:56 PM   #5  
Work in Progress

Zata sounds like you got a working plan for the holiday and what a great way to use those flex points LOL

texs yes please do dig out that mashed potato info I can use all the ammonition I can get. And I am going to make a trip to Target and look for the mini playdoughs that would solve all my problems. OOOH black friday wonder if I can get brave and head out for a little/much needed shopping excurtion? wouldn't it be great to say I need to buy a smaller size jeans at that very same time????

sxu--well the booze is a major problem with me too...well mostly wine but I have found these past few weeks since I am doing the wendie plan I can plan for that day of splurge. Just remember your body processes those calories differently. It will burn them off before it ever touches any fat cells (at least that is what I have read)
Old 10-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #6  
cher37

We normally buy the Halloween candy that night... and... it's always on sale! But since we now live on the end of a street where there are no little one's, we don't have to buy candy this year!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 05:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Afternoon all!

Nancy, I'm not a big candy eater, I'd rather have chocolate icecream and brownies so halloween isn't much for me. I may have a dark chocolate or two but friday my flex resets so I'll have flex to use if I need them And about thanksgiving, I'm giving myself that day off. One day off plan won't wreck my weightloss and if I try to deprive myself or eat less on that day it will lead to a total binge so I just know to workout more that week and go low on pts before hand and I'll do ok

Sally, congrats on the 7 lbs gone!! that is awesome! Yeah alcohol could do me in too, I've actually not touched a drop since starting ww this time, I just don't want to waste the pts, lol

Texas, I'm with you, we always hit Black Friday so that should help burn off some stuffing, lol!

Zeta I agree with you about those two days, we don't actually do a big meal for xmas so I'm not worried about it but thanksgiving is our huge meal of the year and I'm so ready for it I'm hoping to be down a size by then too

Well my day has been good. I forgot to take anything out for dinner tonight so I think I'll heat up chicken and such for the kids and I may just have some potstickers. Something quick and easy and low in pts for me
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #8  

Nancy - Well, I dug out the magazine and it wasn't exectly a recipe, just more like tips for mashed potatoes Here's what it said:
"Using chicken broth instead of butter will lighten up the texture of mashed potatoes and make them look and taste fluffier as opposed to oily or heavy. Using broth instead of butter also eliminates most of the fat from the mashed potatoes. For a creamier texture, add a little fat free half and half or fat free buttermilk."

So I was doing the points on this and it looks like 1 c cooked potatoes is 2 pts, broth is free, and full fat half and half is 1 pt/2 T - so you're looking at a max of 3 pts per cup of potatoes - that is doable!

sxulcmnky - WTG on the loss!

Spryng - Are you making homemade potstickers? If so ,please share the recipe!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:56 PM   #9  

Hiya Ladies,

Just checking in for the day! I'm having a hard time getting all 27 of my points in -- but I think it's just because I'm not planning well enough. I got in 24 yesterday and I'll probably get in about the same today. I tried to supplement with skim milk and other healthier type options to make up the difference, but I just wasn't hungry! My biggest problem has always been a lack of eating enough meals -- I usually only eat twice a day. So now I'm trying to transition into eating more often with smaller meals and snacks.

So the goal for this week: To eat 3 meals a day with at least 2 snacks.

On the bright side -- i'm down 0.4lbs this week in comparison with last week. Yay for small victories!
Old 10-27-2008, 10:00 PM   #10  

Zeta - I have found that a great way to get extra point in is by eating nuts. A few peanuts (or peanut butter spread on an apple), sunflower, or pumpkin seeds tossed in your mouth or sprinkled on a salad add points fast without being a "junk" food!
Old 10-27-2008, 10:05 PM   #11  

OOohh. I like Peanut butter -- thanks for the suggestion, Texscrapper!
Old 10-27-2008, 10:56 PM   #12  
Work in Progress

Thanks for the tip on the suds texs! I will give the broth a test run next week!

Everyone seems to be doing awesome! will check in tomorrow
Old 10-28-2008, 07:24 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Morning all

Zeta your goal for this week sounds perfect I get 3 meals in and at least 1 snack per day

Tex, I wish they were homemade potstickers, lol.. but nope, frozen from Sams but they are only 1 pt each and really good with some soy sauce. They are chicken so the protein is really filling.

Well this is a COLD morning in here today. It's 25 outside and only 58 in this room.. we are getting our gas meter put back in today. We have them remove it each summer because if not we still get a hefty gas bill even though nothing but the central heat is gas so we alleviated that problem by having it removed all together. So this will be the last cold morning we have to deal with inside here I'm ready to shed some layers later today, lol
I plan on cooking today, I'm shamed to say everything I ate yesterday was from the microwave, lol.. I have days I'm just too tired or busy to put out the effort. But not today I'm gonna make some breakfast burritos when I get back from taking the kids to school/daycare. I keep seeing them on the menu thread and they sound so good Dinner I'll have to take something out of the freezer.
Well I better get around. Be back later!
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:43 AM   #14  
Sally

S/C/G: 223/ticker/165

Height: 5'6"

good morning party people thanks everyone i <3 my beer and that's one of my problems... but i've done good with a pack of miller lite in my fridge that i've really only had one of since i moved into the new place... wine is my weakeness too but i generally don't drink too much at home, but friday i'm going out to party (and dress a little slinky to show off the new bod some) and that's where i'll be tested. i'll just have to use some of my extra weekly points that day. i was 7 points short yesterday but was too tired to go make something to eat or to rummage through the cupboards for something to eat (i.e., almonds, PB, some more dry cereal, etc).

BUT I LOST 3.2LBS THIS WEEK! and made my halloween goal early! that's a total of 10.6lbs this month
sxulcmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:28 AM   #15  

I wanted to share a GREAT recipe with you guys - It is from the WW Turnaround cookbook. I made it last night so that I could eat it today. I tasted the broth last night and it was delish! I am looking forward to it for lunch. I did slightly modify the recipe, so I will post both versions for you.

Shrimp and Soba in Fragrant Broth (Original Recipe)- 5 pts per serving

6 oz Soba noodles
4 c reduced sodium chicken broth
1/4 pound sliced mushrooms
4 quater size slices peeled fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic
2 scallions
1 carrot, sliced
1 T soy sauce
3/4 lb peeled and deveined large shrimp
1 c fresh snow peas, trimmed

Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water, and set aside.

Combine the broth, mushrooms, ginger, garlic, scallions, carrot and soy sauce in a large sauce pan; bring to a boil over med high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Add the shrimp and snow peas, return to a simmer. Cook until the shrimp are just opaque in the center and the snow peas are crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes.

Divide the noodles among 4 bowls; fill each bowl with 1/4 of the broth mixture.

Ok - here are my modifications. I halved the recipe in case I didn't like it
and replaced and omitted a few ingredients - My version in 3.5 pts per serving

Shrimp & Ramen in Fragrant Broth - 3.5 pts per serving

1 pk Choice Ramen noodles
2 c reduced sodium chicken broth (1 can)
1/4 pound sliced mushrooms
1/4 t ginger (I used ground ginger, not fresh)
1 1/2 t minced garlic
1 carrot, sliced
1 T soy sauce
4 oz peeled and deveined large shrimp
1/2 c fresh snow peas, trimmed (about 8-10 snow peas)

Discard the seasoning package. Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water, and set aside.

Combine the broth, mushrooms, ginger, garlic, carrot and soy sauce in a large sauce pan; bring to a boil over med high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Add the shrimp and snow peas, return to a simmer. Cook until the shrimp are just opaque in the center and the snow peas are crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes.

Divide the noodles among 2 bowls; fill each bowl with 1/2 of the broth mixture.