Old 10-25-2008, 06:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 254/238/165

Height: 5'5"

Default Eating on a trip

I am going on a trip for 13 days, this means someone else is going to cook, or I'll be eating out. How does one handle a great cuisine at friend's house? Do you eat what they have, but smaller portions? I can't request chicken all the time and make them eat what I have to eat. HELP!! I am desperate for suggestions.
Ohmydear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 183/170/150

Height: 5'8"

I travel a lot. One thing I do is give myself a break, and make maintaining my primary objective, instead of losing.

Second, I eat the yummiest best quality food available, but assume that I will probably eat only half of what is put on my plate (unless I can serve myself, or it's just vegetables, like salad).

Finally, I try to move my body every day, even though it may just be going for a walk and not a full workout.

Once you figure out a strategy, you'll be fine!
Mahalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/238/165

Thanks, Mahalia. I started not too long ago, so I think I need to focus on losing, I am determined to try. We'll see what hints they'll give me at the center tomorrow.
Ohmydear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:08 AM   #4  
Meiho

S/C/G: 165/134/130

Default Any other suggestions?

I'm facing travel this week and want to at least maintain, if not lose. I need some strategies! I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!
Meiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:09 AM   #5  
Em

S/C/G: 170

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiho View Post
I'm facing travel this week and want to at least maintain, if not lose. I need some strategies! I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!
If you have the center's restaurant guidelines you can use them even if you can't eat at that specific restaurant. Most places, even fast food, have a salad. It might not be a perfect MRC salad, but it'll be a better choice than a burger & fries, especially if you can skip the dressing or at least go for the low-fat or fat-free dressing if they have that option. If you're driving, take a bag of apples with you, that's an easy way to be sure you have a fruit option for lunch (or at Arby's order the Martha's Vineyard salad - has grilled chicken and apples in it). If you aren't driving, find a grocery store once you get there & pick up a few apples. And if you want to be really careful, take a box of Melba toast with you. (Me, I'm never that picky - I'll have a couple of bites of someone's taters, or one piece of bread, for supper.)
If you're at a "sit-down" restaurant, Ruby Tuesday is always a great option, ask for the bison burger without a bun & sub steamed broccoli for the fries.

Anywhere you can get grilled fish or chicken & veggies, that will work.
Basically, you know what your good choices are - you just have to choose to make them!

Oh, and the Chocolate Mini-crisps make a good car or plane snack. We aren't supposed to have them more than 3 times a week, but when traveling, it's sure a better choice than a bag of nuts or pack of crackers. (Or in my case a bunch of M&M peanuts in the car!!) And of course take your HNS & supplements with you, and if you're flying, hang on to at least one of those little water bottles you get - they're perfect for mixing up an HNS. When I flew a couple of summers ago & was in the weight loss phase, I packed my pills, HNS & my Tupperware shaker bottle in my suitcase. I also took a box of bars for breakfast in case the continental breakfast at the motel wasn't MRC friendly (it was a great place to pick up a piece of fruit daily, tho!).
Up your water intake while you're gone. It's pretty normal to retain water while you're traveling, so don't be surprised if that happens!

Last thing - don't forget to enjoy your trip!

Last edited by Meemo; 12-01-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:44 PM   #6  
Meiho

Thanks, Meemo, you are truly an inspiration.
I think the key is planning ahead! Gotta do it!
Thanks,
Meiho
Old 12-03-2008, 10:39 PM   #7  
Meiho

Default Traveling

Well, I finally figured out that I can take all my HNS with me and not have to mix them. Tonight, I made up individual servings of the gelatin and put them in little Tupperware containers. I mixed up a day's worth of HNS drinks (berry flavor) in a 32 oz water bottle. I mixed up 3 fiber supplements in another water bottle. Combined my creamy HNS "treat" (vanilla, cappucino and hot chocolate) dry and portioned them out. Will take an apple for each lunch and a salad for tomorrow (I'll be driving to Seattle).

Have my "pills" in one of those pill minder things for each day.

Sure seems like a lot of work, but this way, I have no excuses. Now I just have to follow the meal plan, which I think I can handle. My goal is to come back at the same weight or less, just like I did on Thanksgiving.

The difficult part will be going out with people after the workshop and not having a couple of glasses of wine!

Just have to keep the goal in mind. I'm almost half way through my program, and am more determined than ever to stay on it! Wish me luck!
Meiho
Old 12-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #8  
Cari

S/C/G: 304 / ticker / 180

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiho View Post
Well, I finally figured out that I can take all my HNS with me and not have to mix them. Tonight, I made up individual servings of the gelatin and put them in little Tupperware containers. I mixed up a day's worth of HNS drinks (berry flavor) in a 32 oz water bottle. I mixed up 3 fiber supplements in another water bottle. Combined my creamy HNS "treat" (vanilla, cappucino and hot chocolate) dry and portioned them out. Will take an apple for each lunch and a salad for tomorrow (I'll be driving to Seattle).

Have my "pills" in one of those pill minder things for each day.

Sure seems like a lot of work, but this way, I have no excuses. Now I just have to follow the meal plan, which I think I can handle. My goal is to come back at the same weight or less, just like I did on Thanksgiving.

The difficult part will be going out with people after the workshop and not having a couple of glasses of wine!

Just have to keep the goal in mind. I'm almost half way through my program, and am more determined than ever to stay on it! Wish me luck!
Meiho
Great job planning!! Let us know how your trip goes!
Rdy2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote