Old 10-24-2008, 01:06 PM   #1  

Default Question on Frozen Meals

I need some help I have high blood pressure and I am wondering if I use Lean Crusines, Healthy Choice, or Weight Watchers meals would this cause my blood pressure to go up even higher because of the sodium? Has anyone had this problem? Thanks
chellebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:28 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Are you working with your doctor? Has your doctor giving you a recommendation on how much sodium to eat?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:56 PM   #3  

I am on pills and yes he has given me a diet to follow but I am no good with counting sodium, calories, etc.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6.5

Does his diet say anything about sodium/calories/etc?
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:45 PM   #5  

No it doesn't.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:50 PM   #6  

Height: 5'6.5

You may want to give him a call and ask...or I'm sure there will be someone else to add to this posting who has been in your shoes before. For me, I used to eat a lot of those meals and did lose weight...but now, I just try to make up a bunch of stuff early in the week for the rest of the week rather then spend the money on those when they don't taste all that great.
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It really depends. If the diet you were given is the DASH diet, then it is naturally low in sodium. Googling DASH diet will probably help you see if the diet he gave you is similar (it usually involves eating a small amount of good nuts like almonds at least a few times a week). If it's an exchange plan of any kind, it also may be naturally low in sodium.

It also depends on the type of blood pressure medication you're on.

And some of it depends on just whether you are sodium sensitive or not. Some people with high blood pressure, aren't affected by sodium, but there's no clear way for you to tell this. So generally, it's better to watch sodium to be on the safe side, but there's really no good way to do this without some form of counting or keeping track.

I believe Healthy Choice is better than most when it comes to sodium count.
Drinking a lot of water with high sodium foods can be somewhat helpful, but I think you should consult your doctor a dietitan before using frozen meals as a regular part of your diet, because the sodium contents of these meals are ofte so high, that it's hard to stay under the USDA recommendations even for people without high blood pressure (about 2,000 to 2,500 mg).

Last edited by kaplods; 10-24-2008 at 02:55 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I am no good with counting sodium, calories, etc
Perhaps it's time to learn?

It's not that hard, but as long as you tell yourself you're not good at it, then you won't be. But it's not hard to figure out how much sodium you should consume and then keep track of it.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote