Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-22-2008, 02:33 PM   #1  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Default What?! So now the goverment won't even give me a food pyramid.

My OB nurse suggested I go to the MyPyramid website, since they have a tool for pregnant mothers to get customized meal plans.

So, I put in my info (5'6", 225, due 05/17/09) and this is the message I get
Quote:
Based on the height and weight you entered, you are at a higher risk for possible health problems, including complications of pregnancy. Check with your health care provider for advice about what to eat and your health.
Maybe it's the pregnancy hormones, but this really has me riled!
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

wow, that's ridiculous.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I don't think it's ridiculous, I think it's acknowledging that there is not a one size fits all answer, and that your doctor (probably even better a dietitian) who knows your health history (are you diabetic or prone to gestational diabetes, do you have thyroid or autoimmune issues, insulin resistance or PCOS) would have more specific information.

My suggestion would be to keep lowering the weight you input until you do get recommendations. If the weight that works is a great deal less than you weight (or as a precaution regardless), print them out, and take them to your next doctor's appointment or an appointment with a dietitian and ask if it's fine as is, or if they'd make any additional recommendations.

Last edited by kaplods; 10-22-2008 at 02:53 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:51 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

IMO, it's perfectly reasonable for the government or any other website not to give information on food programs if there is a chance that risks are high. You've been doing a great job up 'til now in losing weight but you are still in the obese category. I'd encourage you to see a real live dietitian about a food plan during your pregnancy.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:31 AM   #5  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

I think what bothers me about it most is the continued insistence that obesity == health problems. The OB nurse I saw was a little confused that, not only was my blood pressure low, all my blood work came back perfect.

So now, the government is saying everyone needs to use this food pyramid, but rather than saying "If you have any issues, you need to speak to your doctor", they say "If you don't fit our perfect categorization of health, you need to see a doctor."
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote