Old 10-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #1  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Default Someone could DIE because I am fat!

I recently had a wake-up call about my weight I'd like to share with you all....

A little background: I have returned to college to receive my degree in Medical Assisting. For many of my fellow students, I am old enough to be their mom....and I am always by far the largest person in the room.

I'm currently in an introductory healthcare class that includes becoming CPR certified by the American Heart Association. A few weeks ago was my training course. Our instructor wanted us to practice on the mannequins, with the mannequins laying on the floor. (Most likely, the person needing CPR will NOT be laying on a table or bed LOL)

Not only was it difficult to get on the floor, but I was getting worn out just doing a couple of minutes of compressions on it. It hit me like a ton of bricks--I would be useless in a real emergency because of my size.

Someone could actually DIE because I am fat!

I know that to be an effective healthcare provider, I must become more fit. So my current motivation is to do this for all the patients I will come in contact with during my career.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:26 PM   #2  
No description available.

That's pretty good motivation. I know that to do my job safely I need to be strong to lift, push, & pull pregnant women if necessary. Sometimes I need to sprint down the hall for emergencies or squat to catch a baby.

Good luck with your education!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:36 PM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

I'm also in Nursing, and know exactly how you feel, Jen.
While in school a couple years back, I remember being so embarrased about having to do the CPR on the mannequin. It was HARD work, and I could hardly bend over to give IT cpr because of my fat stomach, it was in the way. This year I had to re-new my cpr and faced the same problem. Such a shame.
I was so upset, it was one of my motivations to begin losing weight.
Too bad I didn't do it sooner (while in college) Ah well.

Last edited by luvja; 10-22-2008 at 12:37 PM.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Sometimes it an 'eye opening' experience like this that helps us come to terms with the importance of improving our health.

Try and hold on tight to this motivation.

You CAN do this.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #5  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

wow, that must have been a surreal experience.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:36 PM   #7  
Keto on!

S/C/G: 256/200/180

Height: 5'6

Take that motivation and never give up! Last week on my unit they called a code blue. When I heard the call I ran down a few flights a stairs and ran down a very long hall. Not until after I was assisting for a while did I realize I didn't even get out of breath. A few months ago I know I would have been big time struggling. You can do this!
Gela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 305/172.6/135

Height: 5foot 4 inches

I am a respiratory therapist and have to do cpr all the time. we also run to codes alot. This was one of the "wake up calls" for me also. at my heaviest weight I could not do chest compressions any more and forget running to the code. I felt useless. all i could do was bag the pt (rescue breathing). Here I am suppose to be the main person who does the cpr and I couldn't even do it! We also had to transport pt's while we are bagging them, which was very physical. I just couldn't do it anymore. the last straw was one day when i was transporting a pt to x ray who i was bagging (breathing for the pt) and the skinny little transport girls were running down the hall and basically squished me between the bed and the elevator door. I was totally humiliated. that was right before I started my life style change. now, i can "jog" to codes, and do chest compressions and have no problem transporting pt's in a hurry It is a big difference. It is a big motivating factor. I was getting to the point where i couldn't effectively do my job. It was devistating. Hold onto that experience you had while practicing cpr. It will inspire you to be a healthier person. good luck
HVEECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:16 AM   #9  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Thanks everyone....it was upsetting to say the least. Almost made me want to give up on my program. But I've always wanted to work in medicine/healthcare and I won't let my body get in the way!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote