Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-21-2008, 02:03 PM   #1  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Default When to exercise with 2 little kids at home?

Last time I lost the weight I jogged a 5k every morning with my son in the jogging stroller. I like to just crank up my music and GO!

It hasn't proved so easy this time around! I have a 9 month old daughter and a 4.5 year old son. I can't jog with my son because he gets distracted and wanders off the path or dilly dallies or gets tired . I'm home alone with them in the mornings and it's RARE that they're both asleep at the same time for me to get the housework done, let alone anything else! I try to do even just 30 minutes on the Wii Fit but the baby likes to try and climb me and DS wants to play and it just doesn't work out.

DH leaves for work at 6am and as soon as DH pulls into the driveway at 4pm I pull out to go to work! I'm at work until 10 or 11 at night. I try to steal some time on the weekends to go take a run by myself but that's also rare

I'm driving myself crazy! The only time I have to myself it's dark out!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:44 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6.5

Do you have a neighbor that you could take the kids to for an hour like every other day? Or get a sitter to come over for an hour a day? I'm sure there are some retired ladies that would LOVE that. If you have NONE in mind, ask the full timers at the local churches if they could suggest some people.

Last edited by JamieJo; 10-21-2008 at 02:45 PM.
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 354/252/180

Height: 5'5

This sounds similar to my house! I have 3 boys - an 8 year old and 3 year old twins. I knew that finding time to exercise would be my biggest challenge. I started waking up 30 minutes to an hour early and doing exercise videos in my living room. I have Walk Away the Pounds, and I recently discovered that Netflix has lots of great videos as well.

This system is really working for me - it was tough to get up early, but now that my body is in the habit - it's not a big deal.
texscrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #4  
I can do anything!

I have no problem getting up early... but if I get up before DH goes to work it's still dark out! And if DS hears the TV on downstairs he'll get up and the kid NEEDS his sleep.

I wish I knew someone who could watch them but I don't . I don't think I could afford it even if I did... *sigh* I can take my son to drop in care on base but they won't take the baby because she's not vaccinated.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 145/143/110

Height: 4'11

Hi there! I am/was in the same situation you are in, however, there is no DH at home (he will be a big big help to you). In my case, I was only able to exercise at home while my son was sleeping. This meant exercising at odd hours - late at night and early in the morning to my collection of workout dvds. I recently joined a gym for about 32 bucks per month. My workout schedule gets tricky. The gym does have a babysitter, but it does cost about 5 bucks a pop, and you mentioned money is a concern. I would go to the gym after your kids are sleeping and your hubby can stay home with them. I would also go in the morning before your kids wake up, but with a 9 month old, that can get tricky. Good luck!! That's what I do now. My boyfriend stays home with my son on those nights/mornings I go to the gym, and I work at home two days a week, so on those days, when my son is at daycare, I go to the gym early in the am before I start working from home. Hope this helps!
tinasunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:48 PM   #6  
I can do anything!

Are there any gyms open before 6am and after 11pm? I'm at work right now... my schedule is seriously packed.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Is there a 24 Hour Fitness gym near you? They're open all the time, and have a pretty decent range of memberships. Do you have a backyard your kids can play in while you exercise there with them?
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 354/252/180

Height: 5'5

I would still try the exercise videos at home - I know that I can turn the volume down and still follow along at the same pace and get the exercises right.

I also wake up wen it's still dark out! DH begins getting ready for work at 5:00 am and that's when I have my green tea and then begin my exercising!
texscrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #9  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

When you do the videos, your kids may enjoy "dancing" to them with you. Keeps them occupied and it's just as good for them as for you. He He, you could even wear someone out enough that he or she will sleep a little longer.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote