Old 10-16-2008, 09:21 AM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Talking Open-Faced Turkey Sandwich with Apple and Havarti

I found a light havarti cheese, so this became even "lighter" than the recipe. We've had this twice and found it very enjoyable. Eating the open-faced sandwich with a knife and fork seems to slow us down enough that one sandwich becomes a big meal. We paired this with soup, though.

Quote:
Open-Faced Turkey Sandwich with Apple and Havarti
From Cooking Light

The flavors of fall meet in this sandwich. Tangy Havarti cheese provides a pleasing contrast to the sweet apples and spicy arugula. Substitute nutty fontina or mild Muenster for the Havarti, if you prefer.

4 (2-ounce) slices country or peasant bread [I use sourdough, but this would be equally good on whole wheat]
4 teaspoons low-fat mayonnaise
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 cup trimmed arugula
4 (1/8-inch-thick) slices red onion
12 ounces thinly sliced deli turkey
2 Pink Lady or Cameo apples, each cored and cut crosswise into 8 (1/4-inch-thick)slices
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Havarti cheese [I used light Havarti]
Coarsely ground black pepper (optional)

Preheat broiler with oven rack in middle position.

Spread each bread slice with 1 teaspoon mayonnaise and 1 teaspoon mustard. Layer each slice with 1/4 cup arugula, 1 onion slice, 3 ounces turkey, 4 apple slices, and 2 tablespoons cheese.

Place sandwiches on a baking sheet; broil 4 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Remove from heat; sprinkle with pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich)

CALORIES 427 (30% from fat); FAT 14.1g (sat 6.2g,mono 4.5g,poly 1.6g); IRON 4.8mg; CHOLESTEROL 69mg; CALCIUM 141mg; CARBOHYDRATE 44.2g; SODIUM 634mg; PROTEIN 29.9g; FIBER 5.7g

Cooking Light, OCTOBER 2002

Last edited by beachgal; 10-16-2008 at 09:22 AM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote