Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-14-2008, 09:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 186.1/146.7/118.2

Height: 5'3

Default not sooo happy

Hello everyone,
1 week past since my first weigh in and i only lost .2 lbs. sooo bummed out. Ive been excercising and eating right. so, dont know what the problem is. Like I said before Im in a biggest looser contest at my job (started 9-22 ends 12-22 final weigh in). I started 154.2, 2 weeks later - weighed in 142.0 now a week later 143.8 . arrghhh!! got to win this. $650 prize. Im just trying to do the best I can. Seems like I have to do triple the effort. any suggestions... anyone,, anyone? - thnx. not so happy is this the right spot to log my post??? if not sorry.
happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:20 AM   #2  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

First you will lose slower than a bigger person because you do not have as much too lose. When I was 240 I lost the first 20 lbs in a month... and now it is definitely harder to lose 20 lbs. I usually lose .5 lb a week. So really do not be hard on yourself, that will just further slow down the process. I know you want to win but you also have to think you want to do this for yourself, and stress will not help your body. You should start writing down what you eat that way if you lose more in one week than another you can try to figure out what may be pausing your weight loss. Also I would go to your local library and check out Fat Smash Diet book it's a great book and in Phase 1 (10 days) you usually lose 5-15 lbs. Also a book that really helped me is Skinny B****, although this book is not for everyone, only people that dont mind sailor talk.

You can do it! Believe in yourself! And be proud of the weight you have lost so far!
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:01 AM   #3  
No description available.

You lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks? That is probably not a realistic sustainable rate (for anyone, probably, but especially for someone who is closing in on goal weight). Weight loss slows down anyway for most, but 6 pounds per week is a LOT. In general, 1-2 pounds a week is pretty good. I am a little concerned about your eagerness for the money. Try to avoid drastic measures. You need to EAT to lose weight. Repeat: you need to EAT to lose weight. Your body will lose fat at it's own rate and not according to a contest. Eat healthy, move your body, and let your body release the fat as it is ready to.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:05 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

6 lbs a week is not a healthy or sustainable rate of loss. I'm not surprised that you only lost a fraction of a pound this week ... because your body is probably putting the brakes on and saying "whoa there".

Honestly I think that the Biggest Loser and the related contests have been some of the most damaging, horrible, things in the world for people trying to lose weight. They set up unreal expectations and encourage people to do unhealthy things to lose weight.

A reasonable and HEALTHY rate of loss is about 1% of your bodyweight per week. That means at 146 lbs, you should expect to lose between 1 and 1.5 lbs a week at most.

I realize that might not win you the prize in your contest, but it is the way to be healthy.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:24 AM   #5  
Believe it, be it

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'0"

Here's something you might not know about The Biggest Loser show, a TV week may not equal an actual week. By that I mean that you may see contestant A lose 8 pounds this week on the show and it really wasn't 7 days, it was a week and a half or something. And, these folks are working out like 6 hours a day, so this isn't realistic to real life.

Anyway, all that said, you just have to do your best. How many calories are you eating a day? If you're eating under 1200, be VERY careful. That said, you need to keep at that caloric level and just make sure you're working out 5days a week for 45mins to an hour.

As others have said, let this be about you, not about the contest. Doesn't mean you can't have a goal of winning, just don't let it be the only thing.

Last edited by RangerChic; 10-14-2008 at 11:24 AM.
RangerChic is offline   Reply With Quote