Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 10:17 AM   #1  

Default Body for Life #51

Welcome to NUMBER FIFTY ONE

Basic Body for Life Information

Must Have: Body for Life book by Bill Phillips

BFL eating program in a nutshell (see book for more details): six meals a day 2-3 hours apart consisting of balanced (or close to balanced) protein/carb using fist (carbs) palm (protein) method of measurement. 2 meals a day add green veggies. 8-10 glasses of water per day.

Because of the six meal requirement, some people find it convenient to have Meal Replacement Drinks on hand. This is not a requirement but a convenience.

Meal Replacement Shakes. Look for good ratios of protein to carb and low sugar (Myoplex Lite by EAS and Met Rx not anything like Slimfast [which is all sugar!]) or use Protein Powder and add carbs such as fruit. If you shop at www.netrition.com the page for each product will list carbs/proteins/fats/sugars. check the labels carefully! If you like to add carbs, go for a low carb but keep your protein/carb grams in mind. Some of the protein shakes have protein grams as high as 42 and this is usually too much for one BFL meal for any woman so split these in 2 and add carbs.

Vitamins: suggest multivitamin

Supplements: l-glutamine for faster muscle recovery and immune system (this is not required but almost standard fare on BFL)

Essential Oils: Recommended. Udos is the most recommended.

Workout schedule (see book for more details): 45-60 minutes intense weight trainining 3 times a week working lower and upper body on different days. 20 minutes intense cardio 3 x a week (see the BFL book)

Free Day: One day a week no workout and eat any thing you please, as much as you please.

Rest: 12 weeks of program with one day of rest each week and then one week of rest between each 12 weeks.

Mental requirements: commitment and dedication

Results: AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-17-2002, 10:27 AM   #2  

From Number 50:

Welcome Laura!!!

I am someone who is addicted to carbs (the wrong ones, like bread!) and who was told, by my physician, that I am carb-sensitive. After a successful C1, I tried to do low carb and it didn't work well (and low carb has worked for me in the past). When you are weight training, you need the carbs at least once or twice a week. The way to add carbs must be very controlled and it baffled me. It's like Algebra and I couldn't keep it straight.
I even bought very expensive books on how to do this while weight training. It's tough to figure out without a trainer or the time to really record what you are eating and when. and if you restrict your carbs without adding any ever, it will impact your ability to build lean muscle which will impact your ability to lose fat. Anyway, after C1 you can play with carb control but I am always too busy to figure it out. In fact, I gained weight after a couple of months on carb control and then went off. I gained weight IMMEDIATELY.
Restricting carbs screws with your metabolism as far as I can see.
As soon as I went back on BFL style eating (with carbs), the fat started to come off.

Implants!

I was looking at pix of some body building contest winners and I thought to myself "All of these women have had implants." It was very disconcerting and to me, took away from their physique. It was like a detraction from how hard they worked to get the rest of their body into shape. Sorta ridiculous looking. I don't know. It just doesn't seem to fit on a well built body.

My trial is this afternoon! Time to hit the books!

susan
Old 04-17-2002, 12:40 PM   #3  
Natural Health Educator

Default i'm still around

howdy folks. The ISP is still having problems down here, so i trucked myself into DH's work place and have spent the last hour or two wading through all the posts from the last two weeks or so. It was nice reading up on everyone's experiences... at this point i am so excited that i am approaching the end of the last official week of my C1. I am anxiously awaiting the measurements, and really, just how i feel inside is enough really. I am so pleased that i have managed to stick to it. (Susanje, i sympathize with your comments that it is so difficult to stick to it when you have a busy life, but also aggree with your comments that the results always make you feel great when you do.....)

When i started this my hubby said, "its just your latest craze/fad, etc.." and waited to see if i'd stick to it. NOw, at nearly three months, he is beginning to see the difference...i feel great that i have not only proved to him, but also to myself that i am capable of pulling it off.....

the pictures of MrsJim are very inspirational. i love seeing real people reach thier goals, and find a lot of inspiration when i drop in at L&S every now and then... My mother stregnth trains too, and always explained to me the importance of eating clean and working out, and I am looking forward to my visit with her this summer so i can share some time with her, and she can share tips with me, and maybe now i can share some BFL experience with her!

Right now i work out at a home gym, but I was reading over the previous comments people have made about annoying gym men. (I copied that phrase from a Muscle and Fitness Hers Mag.) My old gym was a 24 hour fitness center in Santa Cruz California. we had lots of those there...my mom's gym, also in SC, was founded by Dave Draper I think. MOm likes it and the really bulky guys there actually help mom, and give her hints. See, i think that is cool. i get kinda bummed when i hear men commenting that women shouldn't build, saying they need to remain small soft and round.. or get uptight when they see a lady lifting a higher weight range....DH made the comment that he thinks such men are afraid of powerful women. To be honest, in my opinion, it is nice to be strong, but also to be fit, and my heart is important to me too and i want to live long and healthy. That is what body building offers me, even more than just a nice physique...any thoughts?

well, till next time, i will try and pop in and read periodically. I am about to end C1 and iwll begin again in a week or so.......

=^..^=
Old 04-17-2002, 12:58 PM   #4  

Default Another small measurement of success!

Good for you Meowmew2! I'm a week behind you and I am still in awe that I made it this far!

Well I was out raking for the whole afternoon yesterday. It was sooo warm outside and the snow has disappeared so I decided to get out and enjoy the sunshine. It always seems like a good idea at the time but then you realize what big job it is when you are only half way through. When I did this chore last year I remember being sooo sore the next day and my back was killing me as I got into the raking.

Guess what? This year I got a sweat goin on but it was actually energizing, and today there is NOT a muscle in my body that is sore. I was sooo surprised when I got up this morning because I was anticipating this soreness - but nothing. I attribute this to my workouts both with weights and cardio. I feel like a new woman this year. It is soooo much work to be fat!!!!
Old 04-17-2002, 03:48 PM   #5  

Default Back Again!

I just had to come back and post because I am sooo darned excited! My sister just left here from a quick visit - she lives about 11/2 hours from me and I haven't seen her for about a month or so. Anyway, she comes in and the first thing out of her mouth was holy sh#t what happened to your boobs???!!! According to her they have almost disappeared. She also had pictures with her from a long hike I had with her and her girls in October 2001. I could see big differences once she pointed out some things. That may very well be the most recent picture I have pre BFL as I do not let my picture be taken too often.

Thanks for listening girls - something is obviously working!

Oh yeah - she started asking me all kinds of questions about BFL how it works etc.. I showed her my book - and she said that a girl in her office had just purchased it too. I really encouraged her to try it. My sister is just naturally slim and beautiful - 12 weeks of BFL and she would look so awesome. Might be another BFLer coming up!
Old 04-17-2002, 04:53 PM   #6  

Default semmens? aka Laura...

Welcome! What is a SAHM? And did you say "horseS" as in, more than one? I've loved them all my life, grew up the daughter of a former owner and trainer. But I'm not sure I'll ever own one again. The expense and time committment is staggering.
Old 04-17-2002, 05:13 PM   #7  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking Hey you guyyyyzzz!!

So, how are we all doing this lovely day? Actually it's freezing here. So much for sunny California...Jim STILL wishes we were on Miami Beach where it is now 84 degrees!

I posted this in the Pub at L&S but didn't want you guys to miss it, since most of us are cat people:
Quote:
EXCERPTS FROM A CAT'S DIARY

DAY 752 - My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece of furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another houseplant.

DAY 761 - Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded, must try this at the top of the stairs. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair...must try this on their bed.

DAY 765 - Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body, in attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little cat I was...Hmmm. Not working according to plan.

DAY 768 - I am finally aware of how sadistic they are. For no good reason I was chosen for the water torture. This time however it included a burning foamy chemical called "shampoo." What sick
minds could invent such a liquid. My only consolation is the piece of thumb still stuck between my teeth.

DAY 771 - There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in solitary throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise and smell the foul odor of the glass tubes they call "beer.." More importantly I overheard that my confinement was due to MY power of "allergies." Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.

DAY 774 - I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit. The bird on the other
hand has got to be an informant, and speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the metal room his safety is assured. But I can wait, it is only a matter of time...
I love this - someone just announced that there are COOKIES in the kitchen here at work...right when I was going to wash my GladWare (if you haven't used GladWare, I highly recommend it!). So I guess I'll wait a bit. Thank goodness for Sugar Free Jello - which is what I have in the fridge at home. It really helps during these low-carb days like today...

Well, I guess I don't have an original thought in my brain this afternoon! So thought I'd post this little nugget that Pam posted at L&S earlier this morning - just in case you missed it - it's a keeper...
Quote:
Some of you know that I lived in Hawaii for a few years growing up. During that time I was fortunate enough to experience the beaches. Most of the time I did okay, but there was one particular experience that scared the life out of me.

I was splashing in the waves like usual, and letting them come up, sweep me off my feet, and I was just riding over the top of them. Well, there came a huge wave that took me by surprise... it threw me over the top and pummelled me into the sand... it kept pounding me and pounding me keeping me on the bottom without any air. That is the closest that I have ever been to death.

After many experiences in the surf, I watched the others and learned that when a large wave comes, you don't merely let it take you where it wants you to go, you either swim with it as hard as you can and catch it, capture the energy and ride it smoothly to shore... or you take charge and face it head on and dive right under it so that it's force will not pull you with it.

The reason I relay this story is I was thinking about how most people handle life. Most people let the wave of life take them wherever it may. It may lift them up sometimes, it may stay still sometimes, and it may throw them down to the ground and pummel them. I used to handle life that way too, riding it whichever way it wanted me to go. Now my life is different. I choose to either face the circumstances of my life head on and take charge... sometimes harnessing the energy and sometimes ducking for cover. But the main thing is that I choose.

You may not be able to control the size of the wave or when it will pounce, but you can choose what you do with it.

I'm preaching to the choir here, but I say... make the choice, swim as hard as you possibly can and catch the BFL wave and ride it to your destiny!! You will be glad you did!
Later everyone!!
Old 04-17-2002, 05:59 PM   #8  

Lhendricks, I'm a Stay At Home Mom

Yes, we plan on getting at least 2 and possibly 3 horses. I'm not particularly fond of the beasts but I figured I could share one with DS3. My husband is about 225 and wants something sturdy <g>.

We bought 23 acres last spring that is part of a horse park; we will have access to 25 miles of trails on private lots. I think my husband has some kind of farmer fantasy going on! So in about 3 years (after my older 2 are out of high school; this is in a different district) we'll build a house and barn.

MrsJim I loved the cat diary! We have two of our own, who are utterly useless as far as killing mice.

Laura

PS I was hungry thru my first 3 meals today!
Old 04-17-2002, 06:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/239/150

Height: 5'6

Default mmmmm... biscuits....

hello all -
yesterday I was at my new job and was suddenly overcome by desire after they filled the biscuit jar. As usual I gave in, and ate some (yes SOME!) - I still don't have these cravings under control.
then this morning I woke up and remembered that picture I have in my head of how I want to look - and even a particular outfit I want to wear when I reach my goal - and once again I felt that burning inside, that intense desire to achieve this goal, that drive which gives me strength to push through. I committ to eating 100% clean today, and I'll report in tomorrow.

I'm also completely bummed out, cos my gym membership ran out, and I don't have money for a couple of weeks to renew it - I have so grown to love working out - especially weights - that now I feel disgusting if unable to work out.

I can't believe I've nearly finished this challenge. its truly amazing - hey thunderheart - we made it this far girl! lets keep going!

got to go organise today's food.
thanks for listening
Carly
Old 04-17-2002, 07:39 PM   #10  

Default Mrs.Jim the cat thing...

slayed me, especially this line
" My only consolation is the piece of thumb still stuck between my teeth " Too funny!

Hopefully my landlord removed the storm windows today as it is over 90 degrees (in Connecticut in April) and my apartment was sweltering last night. Four days earlier the furnace was running, and I was sitting in front of the space heater.

MEL I have seen some changes just not the "I dropped six dress sizes in C1" kind that some folks report. I NEVER see that kind of result from anything I do - when I was dropping from 219 to 158, my weight would always plateau for weeks, and then drop just a few pounds. I really expect great things from this Challenge. I'm working much harder and eating much better. I'm determined to remain "binge free" even on Free Days.

I also have tons of long-term goals that extend beyond my "year of BFL" measured as four consecutive challenges.

CARLY my C1 was sixteen weeks spent stumbling from one handicap to another. I'm sure you're doing well MOST of the time. And british biscuits are my favorite thing on earth...thank god we don't have them here.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:02 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/239/150

Height: 5'6

Talking I did it!, I did it!....

100% clean eating today!! not one thing has passed my lips that wasn't authorised and on my plan.

I know that is probably not a big deal to most of you guys - but for me its monumentous!. any time I was tempted, I just called up that picture in my head of what I want to look like and it gave me all the determination I needed.

Lhendricks - I am not planning on dragging this challenge out - I am finishing it at 12 weeks, and taking the results as they stand. then starting up challenge 2 a week later.

anway - just wanted to pop in and make myself accountable.

catch you tomorrow - I'm going to aim for another clean day.
Carly
Old 04-18-2002, 09:43 AM   #12  

Default Good Morning Ladies!!

And a fine morning it is! Even though we are supposed to get thunderstorms all day ending with snow - it was actually 22 degrees Celcius yesterday! Crazy weather.

Hey Carps - way to hang in there! I am so thrilled to hear that you are planning for a C2. I'm taking a week off as well - so we can walk through this together (along with all our other BFL sisters here that is).

Hey Semmens - I'm a SAHM too! I have a small contract job that I do from home via internet and email. Welcome to 3FC! - or where you here already? Sorry still getting used to newbies and veterans.

I am sooo pumped these last couple days! I think its because I know that next week is the final week and I MADE IT!!!! I have to go to Toronto for a meeting my final four days and I've arranged for a room with a fridge and microwave. It will be no problem staying on track now - I was initially a little worried about that. I'll be switching one LBWO day so I only need to do 2 cardios while I'm there. I know they have a fitness room because I used it last time (pre-BFL 1 hour low intensity walking on treadmill) I'm gonna check out their weights this time for our next meeting - talk about preparation (4 months from now!) It is soooo important to me to finish this right until the end - and nothing is going to stop me!

OK I'm probably rambling now - so I'll sign off. Just want to thank all you ladies for your support!
Old 04-18-2002, 10:46 AM   #13  

Carly,

I think it is a big deal. I know that when I'm struggling with any aspect of this program, that one day eating clean or hitting 10s makes a BIG difference. I think the reason I love BFL is that BP talks about "fail fast and move on" and that allows me to start each day fresh if yesterday was less than I had hoped. BUt a day of eating clean and working out feels so good.

I also know that if I slack on my eating or my workouts my results will suffer. I know that if I eat clean and hit 10s the results are amazing. so when I don't workout or eat clean, I know what the consequence is for that. Some days (like yesterday) it's just the way it goes, but I know that each day that I eat clean and work out, is a day my body will reward me by becoming lean. I know that when it' a struggle, it IS a big deal to start putting it back together. BFL is a fairly regimented way of eating (though even with my insane schedule, I have no trouble being in compliance with it on most days) and I think sometimes we just need to regroup. CONGRATULATIONS on a clean eating day!!!

Thunderheart: WAY TO GO!!! I know that when I was finishing my first challenge, I almost couldn't believe it. The feeling is incredible!

MrsJim: LOVED THE CAT DIARY! I laughed and laughed. My 3 cats do think the dog is an idiot. I also love Gladware.

Laura: I have days when I'm hungry and in the beginning they were much more frequent than they are now. I also think that Free Day screws up my Fat Burning Furnance sometime and I am hungrier on Mondays and some Tuesdays. It gets better!

Well everyone, I had my first trial and I won! It was very very nervewracking which is why I didn't eat most of the day. I came home last night and had this sauce I make with ground turkey and smidgen of tomato sauce. I spice it up and add onions and garlic and put it over spinach fettucine. The only problem was that I had 2 bowls of it (small cereal bowls) and it was right before bed but I hadn't eaten most of the day so I suppose it's okay. It was a weird day.

Thanks all for being here. I'm 100% exhausted from the trial preparation (and I have another one May 1)...I have a lot of cleaning to do today. I have a housekeeper Thursday afternoons because Michael doesn't clean so he pays someone for his share of the cleaning but I have to do my share. When I'm working we'll double (or triple!) the time and I'll pay for half and he'll pay for half. Right now, he pays someone for six hours on Thursdays which means I have to clean Thursday morning (I do the "clutter" cleanup before she gets here). She does do the heaviest stuff...washing floors, vacuuming etc but I need her to be able to find the floors! so I have a lot of cleanup this week!!!

The other nice part is that I leave when she's here otherwise we just chitchat all afternoon and I go to the gym! So it ALWAYS gets me to the gym on Thursdays. Nice.
Talk to you all later!
Susan
Old 04-18-2002, 01:12 PM   #14  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Morning all!

Feeling okay today, just a bit draggy (low-carb again today - I was just telling Robb on the L&S board that I am really craving a hot, mushy sweet potato!).

Yesterday I really hit my legs HARD - lots of squats, lunges, leg presses, curls, etc. and I felt it big time today - muscle soreness. Ahhh...hurts so good!

Tried to do the same thing with back and bis today - I'll know tomorrow when I wake up how that worked...

Susan - congrats on winning your first case! I'm hearing the theme song from "LA Law" in my head right now...

And Carly - I agree with Susan that it is a very big deal to have a 100% clean eating day. For me the nutrition is the TOUGHEST part - especially now since I'm on a comp diet (today, for example, the only carbs I'm getting are veggies definitely NOT easy for me). I love getting up in the early am and look forward to my workouts each day...but the eating...I really believe that Steve L and Tom Walsh on the L&S board are spot on when they say that the nutrition is 70% of success on BFL.

Thunderheart - you sound so motivated and jazzed up! Keep that feeling, that fire, within you and there are NO LIMITS.

Y'know, I lurk at the other threads/forums here at 3FC and what really pops out at me when I compare those with our little BFL thread is the overall positive good vibes we have here (also at L&S). Must be the endorphins that we're releasing spilling over!

Well, Sparky has a new cat toy - Jim was having a Corona (beer) a couple days ago, and had left the cap on the coffee table. Sparky found it and started batting it around like a hockey puck and jumping all over the place...what is really cute is when he picks it up in his teeth and carries it over to another place to play! At first Jim thought he was going to try to EAT the cap and took it away, but Kitty was looking for it so he gave it back. So this morning when I got back from the gym and getting ready for my shower - I could hear the cap being batted around the floor again! Too cute!
Old 04-18-2002, 02:08 PM   #15  

Default cats do the simplest things...

and we love them for it. My mother has two sixteen pounders (not fat, just huge) who are brother and sister. They look like panthers but they are absolutely the sweetest natured cats I've ever met. Now that she has the screens in, they perch in the window with their butts in the air and make scary noises at the critters outside.

CARPS congratulations on a good day. My challenge went 16 weeks because I had a sinus infection in the middle that kept me out of the gym for three weeks. So I got in another four weeks at the end so that I could finish on a positive note. Even at that my BF dropped 3%.
Closed Thread