Old 10-11-2008, 11:03 PM   #1  
juicinjudy

S/C/G: 133 currently/goal 115

Height: 5'3

Default number of calories for 53yr old women

need advice from all you wise women.I thought about joining TOPS because WW costs more now so I'm told & don't know about points & all their programs.
I guess counting points is like counting cal.
I went to one TOPS meeting THURS night I don't know if I'm going to join I looked thur the packet they gave me I think they do the exchange plan
it said you could count cal if you wanted to instead (1500cal)per day I about fell out of my chair isn't 1500 cal too many cal for losing weight I thought 1200 or so depending on how active you are
I'm 53yrs (menopausal)
5"3 I think I'm short

trying to exercise I really need to work on this one
I eat healthy but need to watch portion control
weight- 135- 137 more than my ticker help Ive gained
PLEASE let me know what you think??
The meeting was OK some of the women were looking at me like what is she doing here LOL made me feel good
thanks for your help
Zumba Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

Height: 5'6"

I think 1500 is a good starting point and you should try that for a few weeks. Ultimately it will take some trial and error for you to find what works for you.

How active you are in your life will affect this number. Keep in mind that the 1200 number that gets tossed around is basically the minimum number of calories that is generally accepted as that point where you can still have a nutritionally balanced diet. There is no rule that you have to eat at this minimum to lose weight it is just the point that it is typically not safe to go below.

The actual number of calories that you need to lose weight is just simple math To lose 1lb per week you need a calorie deficit of 500 calories per day (Calories Eaten less Caloried Burned). You can create this deficit through any combination of eating and exercise.

Keep in mind that food is fuel. If you make wise food choices and pay attention to your nutrients as well as calories you will optimize your bodies performance which means you should be able to lose weight without severe restrictions.

Best of luck
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

TOPS doesn't require any particular diet, you can do whichever plan you wish. The TOPS manual you can buy (The Choice is Mine) only discusses exchange and calorie plans, but members can follow any plan they wish.

1200 is really considered the absolute minimum anyone should attempt. That doesn't mean that most people should start at 1200. In fact, it's more and more recommended that a person start at as high a calorie count as they can that allows them to lose no more than 1/2 to 1 % of their body weight (this may not apply to the first few weeks of weight loss when a person can lose quite a bit of weight in water).

1500 calories or even 1800 calories are usually not too many calories for most people to lose weight on. The difference between 1500 and 1200 calories, is actually quite small - a person eating 1200 calories a day would on average lose only about a half pound more per week than if the same person was eating 1500 calories a day.

A lot of factors go into how many calories you can eat and still lose weight. One for many people is carb content (I can lose more weight on more calories when I restrict carbs, especially refined carbs like flour, sugar and corn syrup. This isn't true for everyone, though). Another factor is how many diets you've been on in your life (each diet, might lower metabolism).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:27 AM   #4  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I'm 52 years old, same height as you and was about 140# last winter. While I ate South Beach and didn't count calories, my estimate was about 1500 calories per day and I lost weight quite nicely. I didn't exercise a lot but I did eliminate stuff with sugar and white flour on South Beach.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:41 AM   #5  
Highest Weight ever, 225

S/C/G: 225/185/160

Height: 5'8"

I think the best way is to record how you eat NORMALLY for a week then average it. Now you have the base to start from, you will know if your eating too little or too much. You can cut your calories slowly and reasonably if you know where your starting from. Just an idea, I know its hard in our now now now society to wait another week to start losing but it may benefit you in the long run.
edzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:08 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I would try the 1500 for a few weeks. See what happens on the scale after a couple of weeks on 1500 a day.

You are going to have to be patient, however, because since you are menopausal, and since you don't have much to lose-your weight is most likely going to come off slowly. Don't expect to see large losses a week like someone starting at 300 pounds might.

If, after a few weeks, you don't lose anything at all on 1500, then drop down to 1400 a day. I would also recommend being as active as you can. You can do structured exercise, but also little things can help-taking the stairs instead of the elevator, parking further out in the parking lot, etc. All of it adds up.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

I would definitely start out higher than you think. You can always adjust. But when you restrict calories, your metabolism goes down. If you are also changing the way you eat to healthier foods, and adding some activity, then you're probably going to be off to a great start at 1500.

When you start low, it's so hard to adjust back up to a higher level, both metabolically and mentally.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:33 PM   #8  
juicinjudy

THANK YOU LADIES!!!! I will try for 1500cal for awhile and see how well I do. THANK YOU for all your good advice I guess I expect too much too soon from my body I think I really have killed my metabolism.I"M tired all the time so I don't exercise like I should .I probably don't fuel my body like I should & expect it to work every thing you all suggested I"LL try!!

Do any of you count carb & protein grams IF so could let me know what they would be for 1500cal per day or could you give an ex. of what you eat to give me an idea just to get me started.

thanks again hope to post back soon with a lose

Last edited by Zumba Chick; 10-13-2008 at 11:36 PM. Reason: my happy dance is not dancing I must have done something wrong not cumputer savvy i'm trying to learn
Old 10-14-2008, 07:46 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

I think that right now, the most important thing since you are just getting started is to worry about your calorie level, moving a little more each day, and then trying as best you can to eat healthfully for your 1500 calories.

I wouldn't worry too much about protein, carbs, and all the macronutrients right off the bat. Baby steps.

Actually, once you get into an exercise regime-you will have MORE energy. When you are sendentary, a common side effect of that IS tiredness. When you get the oxygen and blood pumping through your body more often, you are much more energetic as a result. (That's why aerobic instructors always seem so darn perky. )

EASE into an exercise routine. Start out with some simple walking every day-even if it is only a short 10 or 15 walk per day, or one of those exercise dvds with the short sessions. Get into the habit of doing a short exercise session each day, and after it becomes a habit, then move up.

A LOT of people (especially around New Years) jump into an extreme diet plan and exercise regime, and start working out 2 hours a day...and then 3 weeks later, they quit because they burned themselves out. If you are normally sendentary, start slow to get in the habit, and then slowly advance.

The problem with worrying about protein and carbs in the beginning-is that they are not all equal. The carbs in a donut are obviously less nutritious than the carbs in oatmeal or an apple. Instead of worrying about it right off the bat, think about nutrition instead. Does this food provide nutrients to my body? Once you get the hang of the calorie counting and start easing into exercise, then you can get more into macronutrients later.

Also, remember to be patient. The weight didn't get on your body in 3 weeks, and it's not going to go away in 3 weeks, either.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:15 AM   #10  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

I think you've got a good plan -- start at 1500 healthy/balanced calories, work in some consistent and regular exercise, and monitor for a week or two to see what happens. If you aren't losing, then you can adjust incrementally to get the results you are looking for.

I'm in a similar boat -- I am 49, only 5'2" and started out at 150 pounds. It took me a whole year to slowly lose 40 pounds, so you may have to be patient. It is harder and slower to lose weight when you don't have a whole lot to lose to start with AND older to boot. It's not going to happen overnight, but then we are trying to establish a long term pattern of healthier living anyway. We have to look at this as a long term proposition, so you have to find eating and exercise patterns that are sustainable for you.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:47 PM   #11  
juicinjudy

THANKS again everyone I will do what you have suggested I will need to have more patience with myself & this body.just not give up
congrats!! on all your great losses !I'll let you know how it goes hope to post back with good news hope to see you around the the boards
maybe I'll sign up for one or two accountability boards
keep up the great work!!!
JJ