Old 10-10-2008, 07:28 PM   #1  
Candace

S/C/G: 200/200/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Mental hunger, as opposed to physical hunger

So I notice that I don't really have to be physically hungry to want food. If I'm working on homework (I'm a grad student) or doing housework, or even playing with the dogs... as soon as I finish I find I want food. Also, when I do eat, I often find that I love the taste of food so much that I keep eating, even if I know that what I've already eaten should be enough. It's like... I love food. My husband has this problem too, only much worse. I've tried eating apples to curb my appetite (I heard that worked), but it didn't really help. Any ideas or suggestions?
sadfatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/199/150

Height: 5'6

We have the same problem at my house.
I have been trying to just keep busy.I never eat because I am hungry I eat because its there.
My husband stays up half the night eating.He DOESN"T try to stay busy.
I think we try to eat our anxieties.
cartp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #3  
Candace

S/C/G: 200/200/150

I can completely relate. I spent the day out of town a few days ago, and on the way home, I was so tired. I was so tired, I was nearly falling asleep at the wheel. I wasn't hungry, but I pulled into a Dairy Queen and got a cheeseburger and onion rings. Oddly enough, I felt better. Also, I tend to view food as a treat, and being on a diet seems like torture. <sigh>
sadfatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I describe this as "wanting to eat". It doesn't mean I'm hungry; I just want to eat.

The thing is that you have to figure out WHY you want to eat. And what is it that would make you feel satisfied.

I know for me, just the fact of recognizing that I wasn't hungry, that I was eating out of habit, helped a lot.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:05 PM   #5  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Oh gosh, sadfatgirl, I imagine most of us on this site have had that issue at some point!!! I know I sure do!!!

My biggest time to just want to pig out is when I'm really tired. I think my will is down and I want to revert back to my old binging ways (soooo badly)!

I've been seeing a nutritionist, and we have discussed other ways to take care of myself without food. A big time for me to want to binge is when I get home from a 12 hour night shift. I could eat a whole pizza and be looking for more. She suggested finding something VERY portion controlled for those times when I feel that way (like a lean cuisine or something), then know exactly what I'll do from there. She suggested a bubble bath with candles, which sounds great, but my tub sucks! Maybe yours is better? hehehe

I just love food, too, and even if I'm feeling great, if I make a casserole or something delicious, I'll literally keep going back to the kitchen till the darn thing's gone - I just can't keep out of something good!! I've been trying to portion out what I'm going to have, then putting the rest in tupperwares or whatever right away, so it's out of sight, out of mind. I'm trying at least!!!

Best of luck to you, and if you find a magical solution, make sure you post it!!!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Cut refined carbs -- try an experiment and cut out refined carbs for a few days and see if it helps. I find that when I don't eat a lot of these, I'm just not very hungry.

Drink bucket loads of water -- When you go to the kitchen to scavage. Train yourself to grab a glass of water instead of opening the fridge.

At night -- have a snack planned in advance to eat for evening snack -- and don't just depend on fruit. Have fruit and a little protein. Protein goes a long way and will make you feel more satisfied.

Don't have yummy things in the house -- Get rid of them. Have food that tastes good, so you are not only eating boring stuff, but nothing irresistable -- at least in the first couple months of a weight loss plan while you are getting your feet under you.

Diet Drinks -- try cutting these out completely for a few days if you drink them. Some people find that drinking them triggers the urge to eat.

When you feel like eating -- really stop and take stock. Are you ACTUALLY hungry? We all love food, but are you hungry?

Plan your whole day's worth of food in advance -- that way there is no question of putting anything else in your mouth. You will just be eating what's on the list. It makes eating something you just do...not something you have to think about.

Last edited by Schumeany; 10-10-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:55 PM   #7  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

When I just HAVE to eat, I snack on raw veggies. The crunch and "feel" of eating does wonders for me. Veggies are nutritious and do minimal damage in the calorie count. I have found that raw carrots, snap peas, peppers are my favorites. Dipped in yogurt or Laughing Cow Cheese, or FF dressing - YUMMMM!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:27 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Some of my strategies:

~Hot tea~
I buy teabags in different flavors, like blueberry, almond, etc. and drink a cup of hot tea when I feel the need to "taste". It helps keep my mouth and hands busy, gives me a taste of something, with no calories.

~Fruits and veggies~
A single serve baggie of baby carrots is about 25 calories...but they take a long time to chew. A small apple is 80 calories. Crunchy fruits and veggies that take a while to chew are good, not because they curb the appetite, but because they take a while to eat. Think about it, you could down 3 donuts in the time that it would take to eat either one of these!

~Find something to keep your mind/hands busy. Buy a book/magazine that you have been wanting to read, knit or crochet, do crossword books...anything that will pass the time and keep your hands busy so you won't eat. Painting your nails is another good one.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Ask yourself why you want to eat. Some possibilities, thrist, boredom, anxiety.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:36 PM   #10  

You probably arent eating enough apples to satisfy your body! Fruit is not as calorie dense as cooked foods and snacks...so you need to eat more to get the same effect.

i.e. a banana has about 100 calories...so to satisfy yourself you may need to eat ten...apples more!!

Cooked foods and snacks are very addictive and it can be hard to tackle this issue. If you are aware of it it can help...but it doesnt mean it will stop you.

I deal with this by making sure that before I have my meals, I eat as much fruit as i desire. In the evening i do the same, but add a big green salad on top...I then allow myself the meal and as much as i can eat...however by this point the fruit has taken the edge of enough that i dont overeat.
irrevocable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #11  

Height: 5'6.5

My mental hunger comes into play when I get home from work and after I get my daughter off to sleep. The worst is at night after she goes to bed. I just want to turn on that TV, hear that sound of a diet coke cracking open and crunch on something I KNOW I shouldn't be eating. And I know I do this...so I plan to NOT do it. But I fail so often. I've been doing the C25K after she goes to bed so that takes up some of the time but like today, I did it this morning so all I want to do right now is crack that diet coke and grab 3 of the 3 point bags of chips and watch the DVRed reruns of the Biggest Looser...which is why I'm sitting here on 3fatchicks with a bottle of water trying to talk myself out of the other activity I so want to be doing.... (anyone else been here before??? haha!)

I have all the healthy junk in the fridge but eating that just doesn't do it for me when I'm in this mood. So, I'm glad I found this webpage for now to keep my fingers busy!
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:47 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

If you're getting hungry directly after you stop being busy, its likely that you were hungry the whole time. Eating at regular intervals to prevent hunger could help. Good luck!
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:15 PM   #13  
Paleo Diet & CrossFit

S/C/G: 300/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I used to be that way until I found and eliminated all my trigger foods. Now I don't even think of snacking between meals. I'm free! HUGE difference. Love it!
delitaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:16 PM   #14  
Paleo Diet & CrossFit

S/C/G: 300/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieJo View Post
My mental hunger comes into play when I get home from work and after I get my daughter off to sleep. The worst is at night after she goes to bed. I just want to turn on that TV, hear that sound of a diet coke cracking open and crunch on something I KNOW I shouldn't be eating. And I know I do this...so I plan to NOT do it. But I fail so often. I've been doing the C25K after she goes to bed so that takes up some of the time but like today, I did it this morning so all I want to do right now is crack that diet coke and grab 3 of the 3 point bags of chips and watch the DVRed reruns of the Biggest Looser...which is why I'm sitting here on 3fatchicks with a bottle of water trying to talk myself out of the other activity I so want to be doing.... (anyone else been here before??? haha!)

I have all the healthy junk in the fridge but eating that just doesn't do it for me when I'm in this mood. So, I'm glad I found this webpage for now to keep my fingers busy!
JamieJo - me, too! Welcome!
delitaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #15  

I agree with the mental eating... happens to me when I read a book, I want to be chewing something. I've had luck with gum, or hard candies that take a really long time to dissolve. Also, mint tends to curb my appetite.
plaidkitty is offline   Reply With Quote