Old 10-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #1  

Default Need help fitting 2000 calories a day in....

Hi every1!

I'm needing advice on getting in 2000 Cal's a day in, I'm a visiting LNA and am on the road allot and I cant seem to get above 1500 Cal's a day in....as it is now, I feel like I'm eating allot. Just to give you an idea Ill tell ya what i ate yesterday:

Breakfast : V8 Juice and 3 tbs Trail mix (Raisins, almonds, seeds, cashews) total= 230

Lunch was : 6" fit and fresh sub from subway and 3 tbs trail mix total= 440

Dinner : 8 oz sirloin, 1 med Potato, 2.5 cups green beans total = 510

Total for the day 1180 not good....

any suggestions welcome.

thanks in advance ~Bayb
baybbrowneyes30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:08 PM   #2  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

Why no snacks? I would try to fit a 200 cal snack in between each meal. Like some peanutbutter, or yogurt, or string cheese. Some more nuts even. Try adding things with higher calories like olive oil when you cook. If you like chickpeas or hummus that can add some cals as well. Maybe you could have added something to your potato and cheese on your sub?

Last edited by CandyKisses0204; 10-09-2008 at 01:09 PM.
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #3  

Thanks for your response cadykisses.....I do need to get snacks in I'm just too buisy working and not taking the time to get my calories in. I'm going to try to make this one of my goals....SNACKS!
Old 10-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

You could have more for breakfast. I don't see a lot of protein there, except for the nuts...

And yes, you could have planned snacks.

I don't see any problem with adding another 500 cals, divided among a little more breakfast and a couple of snacks.

Like you say, you just need to work these in. Plan ahead. Etc.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 10-09-2008 at 01:15 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

That breakfast looks pretty skimpy to me.

What about 1/2 a pb sandwich on whole grain (or pb on a whole grain english muffin)? Or a couple of boiled eggs. Or if you have time in the mornings, a couple of scrambled eggs. A 1/2 cup of full-fat cottage cheese is 120 calories - mix your trail mix into that for crunch and flavor.

Even move away from traditional breakfast foods for breakfast. There's nothing wrong with a turkey sandwich in the morning for breakfast. Or some kind of mini-crustless quiche. Or a wrap of some kind. Somethign that you can take with you on the run.

And maybe take an apple with you while you're out - that's another 80cals for a morning snack that you can eat while you're driving.

If you round out your breakfast more, move the V8 to an afternoon snack - again, something you can drink while you're driving.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

Height: 5'7"

Hey there.

What are you using to count your calories? I only ask because I get a much different count for your dinner than you do.

I use Calorie King and get:

8oz sirloin (only lean meat, no marbling): 425
medium potato: 165
2.5 c green beans: 100

For a total of 690 calories.

If what you are using is working for you, than that's good. I'm just curious about your calorie count (mainly because I love steak at home but know it'll be a high cal dinner).

As others have said, I think you need to include some snacks during the day. That'll certainly help bump your count up.
MotoMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:09 PM   #7  

Hi Photochick I knew I'd catch it for the breakfast being skimpy....but I have a hard time eating breakfast I always would skip it before now I know I have to get it in so thats my baby step for breakfast it will get better in the future.

And Hi Motomichelle I use daily plate for my calorie count and when I put in a 8 oz sirloin it came up 480 cals....and 8 oz is pushing it my food scale is on the fritz so I guestamated by my hand....it was probly more like 6 but when I take a guess I guess a little higher so I dont go over.

with my condaments and things I didnt type in my above post Total for the day was like 1320....still not high enough...Thanks to all that replied to my message....

~Bayb
Old 10-09-2008, 02:26 PM   #8  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

how about some fruit and more vegetables?
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 229/206/1??

Height: 5'2"

How about putting some snacks in your purse? Like a banana or granola? Whenever I go any where I always have a snack in my bag so I dont go too long without eating!

AngelMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:03 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 205.5/185.8/128

Height: 5' 2"

You definitely need to get more cals in at breakfast. A typical breakfast for me is 1/2 cup egg whites, 20 grams of Kraft shredded mozzarella and cheddar on either a whole wheat muffin or a whole grain tortilla. Sometimes if I'm hungrier, I'll add some lean ham to the omelet or veggies or I'll have a banana on the side.

I personally try and eat every 2 to 3 1/2 hours - even if it is a 100 calorie snack. Here are some of the mini-meals I have: fibre one bars, fruit, carrots with hummus for a dip, yogurt with a bit of cereal added to it or trail mix. Eating often like this helps keep your metabolism going. Try and avoid snacks with too much sugar or that are processed.

You may also want to consider the portion size for having steak and other rich protein. A proper portion is in the area of 3-4 oz for most protein sources. I'm not sure how your calories work out so low for that meal either. I eat steak once a week - very lean cuts - and I can't see having that in that calorie range. It seems more like it is right for half the protein serving. That meal alone can be shifted a little to make it more nutritious as well - cut the steak serving to 5 ounces; replace the potato with a sweet potato and instead of one kind of veggie, mix up 3-4 different colored ones with a bit of olive oil. You'd like be shifting out some of the saturated fat to replace with healthier fat from the olive oil. More nutrients as well in the variety of veggies. Even getting packages of frozen mixed vegetables and nuking them is an easy way to introduce more veggies.

BTW yesterday I had just under 2000 calories. Here is what my day looked like: (meal 1) egg white omelet with cheese on whole wheat muffin + milk + coffee (meal 2) 1 slice all natural rye bread (large slice cut in half) with 1 ounce of thinly sliced lean chicken breast, 2 tbspn of hummus, alfalfa sprouts and half a tomato (meal 3) yogurt with 1/2 cup blueberries (meal 4) spaghetti squash with meat sauce, mix of cauliflower/broco/carrots, shredded cheese, 2 slices low calorie whole wheat bread with low cal margarine + garlic broiled (meal 5) fiber one bar, 1/2 cup cottage cheese with cinnamon and another glass milk (meal 6) 2 cups low sodium minestrone soup. Meal 4 was on the high side but it was right after a hard workout. I do calorie shifting so this is a typical HIGH day for me (I average around 1700 cals a day). What I'd have on a lower cal day would be the same type of thing but having veggies or fruit as one of my snacks, skipping one of the milk and having half the soup.
ANewMe is offline   Reply With Quote