Old 10-06-2008, 07:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Seven months

Its been about seven months since I began eating healthily and adding in some (not lots) of movement. I fit into clothes I bought two years ago, the last time I dieted for seven months. (I'm not counting this time as a diet since I have tried to make fundamental changes to both my eating and my thinking about eating rather than a short term change.)

Looking back, it seems as though every time I have lost weight I've been successful for about seven months. (Okay, sometimes eight.)

This week I am thrilled to have maintained. My Dad turned 80, the weekend was marked with five separate celebratory lunches or dinners, including one that was all appetizers and desserts...my favorite way to eat. (And with passed appetizers very easy to lose track of what goes in the mouth, and hard to stay away from food since they bring it to you and wave it in front of your face.)

I want to make eight months. Right now I am working on seven months and one day!

Does anyone else find their eating plans have a predictable "expiration date"? I don't want this one to go away...but I'm not sure why the others did.
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:25 AM   #2  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

I find that I go phases of 'eating very well' and phases were I dont really eat badly but where I eat more mindlessly, I think it's something that you just have to work on. I read a brilliant quote somewhere that really stuck with me and helps spur me on "We are what we repeatedly do, Excellence therefore, is not an act but a habit".

You've done an incredibly good job by the way and you seem to have such a positive attitude that I'm sure will carry you through the rest of your loss and into maintenance.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/256/234

Height: 5ft 2inches

Your 7th month on program is awsome! Taking it one day at a time is the way to go. Some people seem to have good sucess getting past this type of road block by assessing all of the little and big improvments you see in your life over the time you have adopted your life style change. Maybe try introducing new challenges like increase intensity of exersize, maybe try a new exersize or activity or intorducing a new vegetable into your life.

Think about why you stoped in the past and if it was bordom or trying to do a plan that was to restrictive you can work past that. Also if you tend to start "dieting" the same time of year each time it coud be the change in weather or the shorter days or a realy stressful time at work or at home or the holidays that have thrown you off track in the past. You might want to plan for this by embracing new ways to destress and celebrate the holidays that are more active and less focused on food.

I hope something might be helpful. I am going to try and take my own advice and add a new exersize during my vaction this week I am going to try belly dancing! I am not a dancer but I want to try and let go more.

Last edited by 5aday; 10-06-2008 at 08:41 AM.
5aday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:16 AM   #4  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

I think we all have little hiccups in our "diets" where we do not eat as clean and healthy as we should. The key is to hop right back on to plan and not let it become an excuse for undoing all the great work you have done.

I regularly read the recipe sections here at 3fc to glean ideas for new meals that way I have not become bored with my new life style of healthy eating. My DH thinks he's a guinea pig with all the new recipes we have tried. I now have a large repertoire of tasty food which does not take hours to prepare and cook

You have made such great strides in changing your eating habits and life style. So keep up the good work and you will soon be at your next goal.

Last edited by purpleorc; 10-06-2008 at 11:17 AM.
purpleorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #5  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I think it is because motivation ebbs and flows. And the 'all or nothing' mentality that derails many of us.

Being conscious of where/when you tend to go astray is a great step towards changing your behavior for life.
Good for you!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote