Old 10-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Default For real?

so, let me get this straight:

If I eat half way decent, mix in some cardio like jogging/running/walking and weight lifting, I can get more muscle definition? Get healthier?

For real?

Is it really so simple ( in concept)?

Isn't it just calories in vrs calories out,and keeping the crappy food to a minimum?

You hear so much of do this, not that, so many rules....
can it really be that simple?
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:22 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

For me, it was really that simple. Not to execute, all the time, but yes. Simple, simple, simple.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
If I eat half way decent, mix in some cardio like jogging/running/walking and weight lifting, I can get more muscle definition? Get healthier?

For real?
For real real.

Yup.

When I pay attention to what I'm doing, that's exactly what works for me. Eat healthy. Eat reasonable quantities. Do some cardio. Do some weights. See results.

The problem is that it's a simple concept, but it's harder to execute when you're dealing with years and years of habit and emotional baggage.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 10-02-2008 at 07:38 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:59 PM   #4  
Workin' It

I've been doing just that for six months now, and as of today I bought size 4 shorts on clearance at Target that actually fit me and could see a little muscle definition in my arms.

Yep, for real. And, really simple - burn more than you consume and you lose.

As mandalinn & Photo said, not as simple to execute every day, but it does get easier with every successful day!

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 10-02-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 245/232/135

Yep. That is what is working for me too. And lots of water helps too.
txnikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:17 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Thank you all for your replies... what made me think of it was how there are so, so many plans out there,so many rules, so much good/bad.

Some ppl say running is horrid, some say it's awesome ( I have just finished the couch to 5k. I think it can rock if done responsibly )....

I just had a hard time believing that it needs to be that complicated.

Over the last few months I've stopped true dieting, as in enslaving myself to a plan, now I'm doing more of an Intuitiive eating approach. Still lots to learn, and I admit that lately I haven't been eating the best...but the foods I used to derive great pleasure from don't do it for me as much...

Oh, Mandalinn 82, you are a very pretty woman, and I totally dig your glasses. Whoever picked those out with you did a good job..
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 252/224/180

Height: 5' 9"

When you distill it down to the core, weight loss is consuming less calories than you burn so eating reasonably is essential.

Exercise, be it cardio or just walking a lot burns more calories so it tips the scales that much further in your favor.

Toned muscles consume more calories than unused one... again still losing even when not exercising.

Enough exercise and you get more muscle cells that consume more calories....

Put it all together and you get weight loss. The key is doing it consistently. Sadly for me, understanding how it works doesn't automatically convert into action.. finally making progress though and the exercise portion of the self-hypnosis CDs I am listening to are making a difference.

Last edited by Rev Darkwing; 10-03-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Rev Darkwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:09 PM   #8  
Dorm Dieter

Yep, it's as simple as that. The only problem is the application You'll learn, and you'll like it! Make your own diet !
huggamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Surprising isn't it? Yes, it is that simple, although I agree that the application can be harder then it sounds.

Great job on the 60lbs you've lost so far!
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:20 PM   #10  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'm blushing here. I picked the glasses myself...pupils dilated and everything. I love them too.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:35 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 190/135-see tracker

Height: 5 ' 3"

Default My 2cents-make it 200

I've had the first success dieting that i've ever had by calorie counting for several months. However, even that became too tedious to maintain. I'd been a Curves member for several years and got totally bored with that so when a new friend told me about a special deal at 24 hour fitness i decided to go with her and check it out.

Long story short we both joined and plan to be buddies and support to one another. Over the few months that i was logging my foods and calorie counting i saw the benefits of a healthier diet and portion control.

Over the summer I fell away from the logging and calorie counting but have managed not to regain the weight.

So i've arrived at the For Real conclusion too, also thanks to Pam Anderson,a cookbook author that i learned about here at 3fatchicks. She gained weight over the years as a result of stress eating basically, had tried numerous diets and was successful at them until it was time to maintain the weight loss. She decided she wasn't going to diet anymore. So, over a period of a couple of years and much reflection, she decided to ramp up her exercise and eat healthy-plenty of fruits and veggies, lower fat, etc. but she also refused to make any foods off limits.

This is what i'd arrived at when i started the calorie counting and food log-no off limit foods, just limits on how much i eat. But as has been mentioned, while the concept is simple, the application is harder to stick with. I think it's incredibly sensible though, just not a quick fix.

So i'm continuing to work on the healthier eating habits, committing to 3 work outs per week using cardio and strength training machines and adding in 3 more days of cardio(in the form of a brisk walk thru the neighborhood, treadmill or eliptical machine at club or a class at the club. My friend was inspired by her siter to swim for exercise. While i don't see that as something i can do enough of to tone muscles and burn many calories, i do see it as gentle,relaxing movement of my body. So after we work out together we add a swim when time permits. I also plan to add a yoga class (club offers these as well)

With the components of healthy eating, 6 days a week of exercise and relaxing movement-swimming and yoga-I think i'll be in good shape.

The food journaling is something i'd like to add back-not exact amounts but when and about how much and what was going with me emotionally

Oh well-so much for short and sweet.

Last edited by Ailey60; 10-08-2008 at 01:38 AM. Reason: saw a mistake
Ailey60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:12 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailey60 View Post
Long story short we both joined and plan to be buddies and support to one another.
You'll like this. The first time around when I got in shape in college, and again after, it was because I had a gym buddy. That was really the start of fitness for me. Milk it while you can, and be prepared not to get derailed when she can't make on this day or that, or moves away, or whatever.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:27 AM   #13  

Thanks Julie J-

I do like having a buddy. It's something i kept hoping i'd find at Curves and never did. Yes already this week she's been unable to go because of a tooth abcess and i've still managed to get there. 2x already. Another plus of this place over Curves is that there is childcare provided, the hours are way better, classes are included in the monthly fees, and there's a pool.

The challenges will be the fact that i will have to put together my workout-it will take more than me going in going thru the circuit, stretching then leaving, but that will keep things interesting.

I think it was time and i'm excited about going there.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:22 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 185/159/130

Height: 5'6"

It can be that simple. It was for me the first time around when I lost 20lbs. A few years ago in college, I hit my "breaking point weight" as I call it (you know when you go to try on clothes, look in the mirror and just WEEP!) at 153lbs.

I simply cut back on my portion size--since I had to eat at the cafeteria, I really wasn't changing WHAT I ate, just how much I ate. I also started walking for about an hour every day on the trail outside and after about 6 months, I went from 153 to 133--from a size 12 pant to a size 6. My stomach was, well, not defined as in muscle, but it was flat--which it had previously had that bloaty look.

I had always thought it would be so hard to lose weight, so I was amazed at how easy it was just by simply cutting portions and walking.

However, I'll just add that after losing that 20lbs and eating that crappy cafeteria food, my cholesterol was 250 when I graduated!!! Weird how that works.

It's been 2 years, and I've gained the weight back due to moving, marriage, super stress and starting a new job, so I hope it'll be easy again. *crosses fingers* I am definitely eating healthier, my cholesterol has gone way down and I'm taking a multi-vitamin this time. I just haven't gotten on the ball with exercise yet.

So try it--you might be amazed at the results!
inanesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 04:00 AM   #15  

Portion control is going to be key for me. I think the cooler fall weather, along with all the anxiety i'm feeling about the financial crisis and the presidential campaign, is making it more appealing to just graze. I start the day off well--eat a reasonable breakfast and lunch, but come midafternoon and into the evening i find myself just wanting to snack, graze, snack, graze. So this evening i measured out a cup of cereal and 1/2 cup milk for dessert. I mixed yummy cereal in with healthier cereal and somehow that seemed to serve as a trigger for me that i wasn't going to be eating more and more cereal. It took me back , in a good way, to May and June when i was counting calories and measuring portions religiously. It's kind of weird thinking back but seeing the two cereals together reminded me what i'm trying to do-eat healthier and in reasonable amounts. I need to get my hands on this book i had out earlier called the portion teller. It's all about portion control. There's all sorts of charts for helping a person estimate what a reasonable portion of food is when eating out. I need to make copies of the different charts for reference.

I'm glad someone started this thread. I hope people keep posting here because i think this combo of portion control and healthy food choices partnered w/6 days a week of exercise will work for me if i can figure out how to stick with it all. It's most reasonable I think.