Old 10-02-2008, 03:22 PM   #1  
The Walker

S/C/G: 265/266/200

Height: 5' 7"

Question HELP! am i doin this right???

ooooo K... so i joined on September 27 and i think i either started Counting Calories that same day or the next day. im a Lifetime Yo Yo Dieter, i have tried Everything i mean Everything to try to lose weight and i DID a couple of times, but it was never a Way of Living for me so of course i gained it all back PLUS some... but anyways... i found out that my BMR is 1870 - my Burn Meter is 2250 - im 48 - 5' 7" - 265 lbs... i Hardly EVER Exercise... i WALK at least 1 mile each day, but thats about it... and i sit at a Computer 8 - 10 hrs a day at work... and im currently eating 1800 Calories Per Day... do you think im doing this correctly? im new and ive been reading sooooooooooooo much and i see ALOT of differences in HOW and HOW MUCH weight is lost... i just hope ( I ) am doing this right..... any opinions?
Eliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Where are you getting the number for your BMR? The calculators online aren't always accurate. Did your doctor test you? Do you know how many calories you were eating before starting?

You haven't been doing this too long, so I'd see if you lose at 1800. Wait a few weeks and if you don't lose weight, drop that down to 1700 and see what happens. It's always better to start higher then lower, so you can make sure you are getting the proper nutrition in and not starving yourself.

BTW, walking a mile each day IS exercise! You don't have to go to a gym or do a video for it to be considered exercise. Walking counts.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 231/165/140

Height: 5'5"

I'm new at this too, but my understanding is if you eat less calories then you burn, you're going to lose weight, regardless of how many you are taking in. I'm with the person above, start higher. And for Gods sake, dont' tell EVER tell people on here you are eating under 1200 cals a day! They will chastize you! :-) From what everyone is telling me, your intake for a day is a great place to start!
Extasee58865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

Height: 5'6"

1800 calories is a good starting point. Stick with that for a couple of weeks. If you are not losing then up your exercise or decrease your calories by a 100. This is a bit of trial and error to find out what works for you.

I started around 1500 calories at the age of 45 and 267lbs but I now eat closer to 1600 calories.

Given your age it is critical that you add strength training to your plan. You have been losing lean body mass since the age of 30 and it is only getting worse. Less lean body mass means slower metabolism.

I would recommend getting some DVD's and some bands or tubes to work out at home with.

Best of luck on your journey.
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #5  
The Walker

Thumbs up Wow!

Wow Lori...! you've lost over 100 lbs?!?!? Thats Great!!!
especially since your close to MY age...
YOU make me Really Believe that It CAN Happen! I CAN Do This!!!
Old 10-02-2008, 05:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Eliz , you can do it, too. Eat fewer calories and exercise more and you will lose. Do not eat fewer than 1200 calories a day , and I agree walking is exercise, one of the best actually.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:12 PM   #7  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Eliz - your numbers are pretty close to where I started (I counted my calories and walked 100 pounds off), I agree with the others. Try 1800 and see how it goes. I also wholeheartedly agree with adding some kind of resistance training so that when you get to goal you'll be toned.

Have you checked out FitDay or another method of logging your food and exercise? I think it's the other really important key to success.

chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #8  
The Walker

Smile

THANKS Ladies! u think maybe i should stay at 1800 Calories a Day for the Whole Month of October? AND ill also keep doing my 2 Mile (30 Minute) Walk everyday...

i guess IF after the whole month of October passes i should be AT LEAST down a Few Pounds right? Hopefully Anyways... i mean i AM 48... and i guess my body needs time to Adjust to Eating This Way and Working Out Regularly...

i should have some Good News on by Halloween... even if its just 1 lb! ill take it!!!