Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 10-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

Default trouble getting out of bed

it seems no matter what I do - and I've tried the "tricks" (setting two alarms, putting my alarm where I have to physically get up and go across the room to turn it off, opening the blind to let the sun in) I cannot get up when my alarm goes off. I'll hit the snooze, seriously, for an hour or more. And it's not that I'm not getting enough sleep - usually there are solid 8 hours before the alarm goes off.

Luckily it's never made me late - but it has prohibited me from doing important things - like this morning, going to the bank before class and work.

anyone else have this issue and/or suggestions for how to get over it?
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:38 PM   #2  
frustrated foodie

S/C/G: 237/223/size 10/12

Height: 5'5.5"

Personally, I am a dreaded morning person. Before I became "one of those people" I would set my alarm clock fast like 45 minutes or more, so even if I "slept in" I was still ahead of the game. Still, some times it's hard to drag myself our from under the covers!
owlmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:03 PM   #3  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

I don't have any solutions, but I'm the same way. You're not alone.

I don't think I will EVER be a morning person.

Last edited by grneyedmustang; 10-02-2008 at 02:03 PM.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 248/240/167

Height: 5'6

What helped me was Wellbutrin. I would have **** getting out of bed in the morning. Another thing was that I figured out that I was not a morning person. Believe it or not, I was in denial. My job is flexible, so I switched the time that I have to be in my office or teaching to afternoons. It is waaay better. Now, I get up without any problems. I think what will help me eventually stop taking Wellbutrin is exercise.
aliciag57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I'm like this and even though my depression is in check now I'm still like this. Some people are not morning people. I was told that this would get better when i was older, but it didn't (I'm in my 30's.) I have never been a morning person.

You might want to try going to bed earlier. Studies have shown that some people need more sleep then 8 hours and some people need less. Personally I do best with 9 hours per night.

Last edited by zenor77; 10-02-2008 at 02:48 PM. Reason: more info
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Honestly, I am like this whether I'm depressed or not. I am absolutely 100% not a morning person. I do great at 2 in the morning - I have tons of energy and I get some of my best work done after everyone else is asleep.

But ask me to get up in the morning, and I'm utterly useless. I don't even function well until I've been awake 30 or so minutes.

Some people just really do live on a different biological cycle. When I don't set an alarm or anything I naturally fall asleep around 3 a.m. and wake up around 10:30 a.m. If I allow my body to fall into that cycle, I will naturally wake up and feel well rested and ready to go. If I force myself to go to bed at midnight and wake up at 7:30 (same number of hours) I feel groggy, edgy, and perpetually tired.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #7  

thanks, everyone!

owlmonkey... sounds like you weren't always a "morning person." what changed for you?

yeah, I'm like this whether I'm feeling particularly depressed or not. And usually it's not that I'm actually tried - my bed is just so comfy and cozy! When i'm actually tired I don't mind taking the extra sleep time if I have it, but it is never beneficial sleep when I get up every 10 minutes to hit the snooze again.

I know no matter what time I go to bed I am not going to get up and go running at 5:30 am like my roommate does. I am NOT a morning person and I have accepted that. But by 8 or 9 there is NO REASON for me not to be able to get up.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

They say every hour of sleep you get before midnight is worth one and a half between midnight and dawn.

If I go to bed at 9 or 10pm I only need 8 hours, but if I go to bed after midnight I usually need 10.

Sounds like 8 hours of sleep isn't enough.

You're body just wants more rest. I need 8 to 10 hours a night. During TOM I need 10+
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:14 AM   #9  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

I'm sooo not a morning person. If I could go to bed late and get up late, I'd be so much happier. My theory is that there are morning people and night people for a safety reason, so some people of the tribe would be alert for predators at night and some would get up early and watch for them.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:23 AM   #10  

I should clarify that 8 hours is a MINIMUM for me... and it's not that I'm tired that I don't want to get out of bed. I just can't make myself get out of bed. And once I'm up it's a whole other struggle to get myself to be productive. I've discussed this with my doc before, tried some meds and stuff, but never found anything that clicked.

Last edited by iriswhispers; 10-03-2008 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:33 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 194.5/184.5/130

Height: 5'2"

I have the same problem and they keep trying to find the right medication to help me... I'm right now on Lexapro and Topamax. I've been on Ambien in the past to help me fall asleep b/c I am wide awake at night and want to sleep all day... it's horrible. My job is somewhat flexible but I do have a meeting every morning at 8:15 am which I can do at home at least... but it's very difficult but forces me to get up... most days anyway.

I feel like something is terribly wrong with me b/c I want to sleep when the sun is up and when the sun goes down I wake up... my mom is like that too. She is a night nurse. Even as a child I would be up all night and would be late to school all the time.

I wish I knew what the answer was... My doctor's wants me to go into the office everyday so that I have a regular schedule... which sounds like complete torture. My boss seems satisfied with my performance. I work late at night to prepare for the morning... since I don't get a lot done in the morning.
Jolie4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:45 AM   #12  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

Maybe Circadian rhythm sleep disorder?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadi...sleep_disorder
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:39 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 194.5/184.5/130

Height: 5'2"

I thought I might just be a vampire LOL but Circadian sleep disorder sounds better.
Jolie4me is offline   Reply With Quote