Old 10-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #1  
dude! sweet!!

S/C/G: 237/237/125

Height: 5' 3"

Default Frustrated Newbie

Howdy peeps! So I'm the new kid on the block. Well, not totally new as I signed up in 2005 but then never posted. And guess what!? I still need to lose weight. Big surprise, I'm sure.

I signed up at my local college for a PE class that is in the fitness room (bascially a mini gym). I pay VERY LITTLE for 19 weeks (like less than $1.50 per week) and get credit for my A.S. I'm super excited because in 4 weeks I dropped my mile on the treadmill from 23 min to 15:50. Every time my calves start to hurt I tell them to "f off" in my head and just run out the acid burn.

But the issues I'm having is that I'm not seeing any weight or inches drop. And I'm kinda pissy about that.

Don't get me wrong, just going to the gym makes me feel freakin' awesome but although I'm optimistic, I'm pessimistically frustrated all at the same time. Make sense?

Let me guess, you're all going to tell me that it's probably my diet (in the sense of what i'm eating because I will NOT diet in that "starve/restrict" yourself kind of way) and that I should be journalling what I eat, right?

LOL. I really should listen to myself more often.

I'm thinking that I burn about 2800 calories a day as I am lightly active at work and adding in the 2-3 days of working out averaged over the course of the week. But I really have no clue what a good number is for calorie intake if I want to lose weight and still not feel like I'm going to pass out after a good workout (hypoglycemia).

Suggestions? Anyone else share my issues either physically or mentally?
acrimony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:23 PM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Well, I am going to ask - how much are you eating? You should have a concrete number, rather than "I think I eat xxx", especially at first.

Otherwise, you could be eating too much or not enough, but the only way to know is to have a precise number to work from. If you are exercising daily and not losing inches *or* pounds, then I would hazzard a guess as to it being food related.
And exactly how much exercise do you do each day? If you are burning a few hundred calories a day, then you probably don't need to up your food intake.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:26 PM   #3  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

Welcome Tori,
I'll let the calorie counters address your question. Just wanted to say Good Luck to you and I hope you will stick around and post often. It really does help keep you on track!
D
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:53 PM   #4  
dude! sweet!!

Well, on another note, I just inputted my food for today (without dinner). Holy Crap, Batman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberlover View Post
Well, I am going to ask - how much are you eating? You should have a concrete number, rather than "I think I eat xxx", especially at first.

And exactly how much exercise do you do each day? If you are burning a few hundred calories a day, then you probably don't need to up your food intake.
I calculated how much I BURN from one of those online calculator thingies. It had nothing to do with how much I eat/intake each day. It just asked for my weight, height and activity level and then it spit out 2803 calories burned each day. So my question is, should I be eating 2800 calories and with added exercise I'd lose weight? Or should I drop my calorie intake below 2800? I am an avid nutrition/weight loss researcher. So although I have not lost weight, I do know quite a bit and one of the things I don't want to do is eat too little, forcing my body into "starvation mode".

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
Welcome Tori,
I'll let the calorie counters address your question. Just wanted to say Good Luck to you and I hope you will stick around and post often. It really does help keep you on track!
D
aha! calorie counters. Excellent! Is there a calorie board? I shall post over there if there is.

but I do want to stick around this board. I think there is a special dynamic to those who have needed or currently need to lose 100+ pounds. I may be just under now, but only 10 or so pounds ago I wasn't.

And those 10 pounds have been off for 2 years so I KNOW I can keep the weight off and not gain. And that is a big "I rock" statement for me!

Last edited by acrimony; 10-01-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #5  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrimony View Post
but I do want to stick around this board. I think there is a special dynamic to those who have needed or currently need to lose 100+ pounds.

So True! The 100 lb Club is the most supportive board regardless of what plan you are on!
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:44 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

If you go over to the Calorie Counters forum, you'll find a Sticky Thread at the top that has Frequently Asked Questions. This may give you a general idea of where to start.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

There are two ways to burn excess calories:
Eat less
Exercise more

Ideally you'd do both - to create a calorie deficit. If you're already exercising, then I'd suggest dropping your calories by 500-600 a day, and see where that takes you. That's still 2300 calories for you, which is a good number and will allow you quite a bit of food.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 307/279/180

You're from the SF Bay area? Your *speech* pattern is similar to that of my brother's. He lives in San Jose.

Nice.
Iconoclast at Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:16 PM   #9  
dude! sweet!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
If you go over to the Calorie Counters forum, you'll find a Sticky Thread at the top that has Frequently Asked Questions. This may give you a general idea of where to start.

Jay
Oh, thanks Jay. I'll get over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
There are two ways to burn excess calories:
Eat less
Exercise more

Ideally you'd do both - to create a calorie deficit. If you're already exercising, then I'd suggest dropping your calories by 500-600 a day, and see where that takes you. That's still 2300 calories for you, which is a good number and will allow you quite a bit of food.

LOL, looks like after inputting all of my food from yesterday I'm very surprised that I'm not a whole lot fatter. 4300+ calories! Holy s***!! So today I'm makin a consicous effort not to eat icky. Opted for lentil soup with spinach from SF Soup Factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast at Large View Post
You're from the SF Bay area? Your *speech* pattern is similar to that of my brother's. He lives in San Jose.

Nice.
HA! Girl you are so on the ball. You should be a linguist if you can recognize the speech pattern.

Yup, martinez is north of SJ. Tell your brother I said hi. I have no idea who he is but we need some more love in these parts.

Last edited by acrimony; 10-02-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
looks like after inputting all of my food from yesterday I'm very surprised that I'm not a whole lot fatter. 4800+ calories!
You know it really is scary what we can eat when we're not paying attention.

I allow myself one no-counting day a week - just being reasonable about what I consume, but allowing myself to not be as restrictive as normal.

At first it was working really well for me. I was able to make healthy choices and not go overboard. But I've realized recently that I have somewhat slipped back into old patterns on my no-counting day. I estimated my no-count day from last weekend and I came up with over 5000 calories.

No wonder my weight loss is so erratic.

So now I'm back to one no-counting meal a week instead of a whole day. I need the accountability right now

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote