Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-30-2008, 09:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 161/157/135

Height: 5'5.5"

Default Need advice

...'cause I'm clearly doing this wrong. When I rejoined 3fc, I posted a question about, "Does this really work?" I guess I'm still wondering, because I do not have this weight loss thing sussed out.

I'm 5'5" and 169. When I started in mid-August, I was 177, so I've lost 8 pounds. However, the weight loss has been slow and irregular (since I've been measuring: -3.5, 0, -2.5, -1.5, 0, 0). I've been 169 for the past two weeks.

I'm tracking calories religiously -- I'm eating an average of 1600-1700 calories a day, inc. one larger meal on weekends. I'm eating 5 times a day (anyone else here sick of eating all the time?) and I'm trying to get at least 100g of protein a day. Acc. to the equations in BFFM for caloric needs, I should maintain at 2000 calories/day.

I'm working out 6 days a week: 3 days of weightlifting (about 45 min. a session), and 3 days of running (usu. 4.5-5 miles a time). On days when I do upper body work, I usually do 20 minutes of HIIT on the elliptical or treadmill.

I thought perhaps I wasn't drinking enough water, because after a 10 mile run last week I managed to gain 2 pounds. (Which went away the next day, but I was still pretty surprised when I saw that one.) So I'm drinking much more water -- no effect. I don't know whether I should add calories or subtract. I can't do any more exercise.

I know patience is a virtue -- but this is supposed to be easier at the start, isn't it?

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.
Dianeofnka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:42 AM   #2  

Sorry no advice here but I am a very slow loser too. It took me 10 months to lose 15 lbs. a couple years ago. I was following WW, working out 3-4 times a week, and walking on the off days.
want2bskny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:54 AM   #3  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

I look at it this way, if you lose lb a month it may take a very long time to reach you're goal but in that process you're learning to be a healthier person and are probably going to find it easier to maintain your goal weight. Another thing I can say despite the fact you might just be a steady loser, is that if you think what you're doing isn't working for you - then try something else, the key is understanding your own body. I also agree that working out makes a huge difference.

Last edited by Spoz; 09-30-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:01 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

You are doing a lovely job! Eight pounds is wonderful.

It's only really easier at the start if you are very sedentary, very fluffy, eating waaaayy too much ... ya know?

How's the pants o'meter?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:01 AM   #5  

Height: 5'6.5

Girl, are you crazy? 8 pounds since mid August?!?! That is AWESOME! I don't know what advise to give you on eating/working out habits because it sounds like you are doing everything right. Did you go from a "whatever" eater to this strict way of being? Maybe your body is in shock!

I think you have to realize that you will vary each week with inches and weight loss - expeically with all of the working out you are doing.

I'm 5'6 and always get stuck around the 160 mark. I'm really hoping to break through this time!!!

If I were you I would change things up. Your body may be getting used to what you are doing for exercise (although I have no idea how anyone gets used to running 10 miles!) Try some work out DVD's. Or do you have racket ball at your gym (That is a GREAT work out). Or swimming? Or a class? Just something different. And maybe take down your calorie count by 500ish points? Just my ideas... Good luck!
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:07 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Yeah, I think you're doing great! Lower those expectations, girl!

My suggestion would be that you also lower your calories--to around 1500, but keep your protein intake up and lower your carbs to get there. Also, I'd try skipping that one high meal on the weekend for a week and see if that makes a difference.

Give this plan two weeks and then evaluate!

Jay

P.S. If you don't like eating that often, don't! Make your meals larger and skip the snacks, or have smaller snacks. Do have a snack 1/2 hour before your workouts, though.

Last edited by JayEll; 09-30-2008 at 10:08 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:11 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 221/173.5/165(for now)

Height: 5'8"

Hi Diane - No, you are doing fine. You're averaging more than a pound per week - everyone loses at different rates, and since weight loss isn't linear, it will vary from week to week. I started at a much higher #, and it's been 6+ months to get where I am (and still a ways to go!). Don't get frustrated, you are doing terrific! Keep in mind that since you are starting at a fairly low weight, it may take longer for the body to "release" any excess weight. Eight pounds in 6 weeks is nothing to sneeze at, and as long as you keep on with what you are doing, the weight will continue to drop. Do you vary your calorie numbers each day (i.e., 1650, 1400, 1850, 1575,etc)? That can keep the plateau-ing at bay.

Don't throw in the towel - If, in the next several weeks, you continue to stall, drop your numbers by 100 calories, and allow a couple weeks before making any other changes. I think someone here said it very well - This isn't a race, it's a marathon - pace yourself. (sorry if I garbled that all up...)
judipurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:43 AM   #8  

Thanks for all the feedback -- I'm just feeling so frustrated!

I don't think my body has gotten too used to what I'm doing exercise-wise -- I've been fairly steadily increasing my weights at the gym (and doing different exercises for various body parts every week or two), and if anything I'm more regular about running now than I was before I started this process mid-August!

Quote:
How's the pants o'meter?
LOL. My jeans are looser, but I'm not into the next size down.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I'm 5'5" and 169. When I started in mid-August, I was 177, so I've lost 8 pounds. However, the weight loss has been slow and irregular (since I've been measuring: -3.5, 0, -2.5, -1.5, 0, 0). I've been 169 for the past two weeks.
Honestly, that sounds GREAT to me!!! In 6 weeks you've lost nearly 8 lbs. That's pretty much right on track for 1% of bodyweight lost per week.

Just hang in there and remember that it's not always linear. Your body isn't a machine and there are so many other things that will affect what the scale says.

Keep going the way you are and you'll continue to see progress.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:29 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 179/150/140

Height: 5'7

If you've been doing the exact same routine for awhile, your body gets used to it. Welcome to the Platou, my friend - it's a nasty place. And it's not your fault: the problem is by now your body has memorized the motions you go through exercise and has found ways to make them easier... so even though it feels like your doing the same amount of work, it's not taking the same toll on your body.

Try using difference exercises to work out- try using a stair climber instead of the elliptical. If your into weights, try either liftings more or try less weights and more reps. Pick up a work out DVD (Jillian's from the biggest loser is my favorite) because it'll shock your body into try something new.
Hypra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:38 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianeofnka View Post
after a 10 mile run last week I managed to gain 2 pounds. (Which went away the next day, but I was still pretty surprised when I saw that one.)
From what I understand, your body stores water when you workout to keep you hydrated. The worst time to weigh yourself is after a workout. I'll gain 2-4 lbs after a workout. It's all water though. Weigh yourself the following morning.
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:42 PM   #12  
carinna

[QUOTE=Spoz;2386590]I look at it this way, if you lose lb a month it may take a very long time to reach you're goal but in that process you're learning to be a healthier person and are probably going to find it easier to maintain your goal weight.[QUOTE]

Very well put, Spoz.
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:59 AM   #13  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

ive learnt the key is exercise....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:06 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

Height: 5'7"

8 pounds in 6 weeks is good progress. You're also not that much overweight, so losses will be slow.
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:11 AM   #15  

My aim is to get to 140 -- which would be an overall loss of 37. Which seems to me to be a good amount, but is it not, really? (I wonder because a couple of people on this thread have said they don't think I have that much to go.)