General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-29-2008, 09:04 PM   #1  
Operator265

Default I'm am the lamest!!!

So, I go to Lowe's to get some mulch for the dog run. Last time I was there I saw some tiles I wanted to get for the kitchen and decided to go ahead and get 3 boxes(10 ea.) of them. They are 2.88/tile or 28.80/box. So I go to check out in the garden dept. and the guy tells me "That will be $21.00." I immediately realized he charged me for 3 tiles instead of 3 boxes. So I told him what happened and then wrote a check for $106.00.

See, my parents raised me to believe that if you take something you know isn't yours, it is the same as stealing. But still, even as I told the guy about the mistake, it is running thru my head that I am the lamest dumbass on the planet. He had no clue. I just had to write the check and walk out $80 the richer for it.

People always say that when you do something like that good things will come to you. NO, THAT'S NOT MY LIFE!!! I do something like that and my wallet gets stolen, someone hits my car in a parking lot and leaves, etc. etc. etc.

When will I ever learn to just write the damned check and run like ****? I am 41. Is it too late and I'm hopelessly the lamest person on the freaking planet?

Last edited by Operator265; 09-29-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:11 PM   #2  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

Nah, you're just an honest person.

I'm honest too, if it makes you feel any better. If a waiter or waitress forgets to put a food item on my bill at a restaurant, I always correct them. In some cases, they'll tell me "No, I didn't forget. " Haha.

I grew up with the same philosophy though. My dad always said, in reference to restaurants that he doesn't order anything that he doesn't intend to pay for.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Good for you.

It's not lame. It's honest. And we need more people like that around.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:42 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

What you did was noble. And people like you are able to really look themselves in the mirror every night Not everyone can say that, and I pity those that can't. Be proud & happy for being so honest.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:45 PM   #5  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Good for you and thanks for sharing. The way a waiter or waitress or sales person will go on & on when we point out a mistake made in our favor makes us think we must be the only ones who do it. It's good to know we're not alone. Besides, you could have walked out with the $80, but you would have felt more than $80 worse about yourself.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 241.5/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

You did the right thing. That's not lame at all!
auntie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:03 PM   #7  
Operator265

Thanks y'all. That's what I needed to hear. I've gotten so much of the "whatever it takes to get ahead" attitudes lately I needed to know there are some others out there who were raised right. Especially since the guy ringing up the sale gave me that "Are you nuts?" look.

Well, I guess I'll still keep checking my change and returning the bills that get stuck together.

Hi, I'm Operator265 and I'm a lameass. And I'll be a lameass who overpays for her funeral 50 yrs from now.

Last edited by Operator265; 09-29-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:09 PM   #8  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator265 View Post
See, my parents raised me to believe that if you take something you know isn't yours, it is the same as stealing.
Your parents were right, taking something that doesn't belong to you is stealing, whether it's from the big store chain that might never notice or the mom and pop store down the street.

Quote:
But still, even as I told the guy about the mistake, it is running thru my head that I am the lamest dumbass on the planet. He had no clue. I just had to write the check and walk out $80 the richer for it.
Hmm, and how would that make you the better person? And how would it weigh on your conscience? And what if they docked that kid the $80? But you'd be $80 richer, right?

Doing the right thing feels pretty dang good, doesn't it?

Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.

Last edited by Hat Trick; 09-29-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:12 PM   #9  

Height: 5'9"

You aren't lame, I would have done the same thing. That's the way I was raised. As PhotoChick said, we need more honest people like that in the world.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:00 PM   #10  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

You aren't lame in the least. I walked out of Target with a huge box of diapers that I thought I had bought, put them in the car, drove home...just to realize later when I looked at the receipt that I hadn't actually paid for them.

I called the store and drove all the way back to pay for them....

they were stunned.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:38 AM   #11  
Operator265

Now I remember why this is the first site on my bookmarks. Y'all really do restore my faith in humanity. I'm loving all the stories.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:17 AM   #12  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I would have done the same thing. There's no way I could have walked out of there without paying up. Plus you showed the sales guy there are honest people out there, besides pointing out his error to him. That in itself is a great thing. You should feel good about yourself for this. Too many greedy people out there.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #13  
Determined to lose!

It's folks that don't own up to it, ie. stealing (as you would have if you'd not been honest about it) that causes prices to go up sometimes! Granted, sometimes it's other factors, but stealing has caused a lot of price increases!!!!
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:05 PM   #14  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

You did a very thoughtful thing.

Karma can come back to bite you on the @ss. I think of that before I do anything stupid.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:06 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I once found a package of filet mignon marked 40 cents! Total price 40 cents!I called it to the meat departments attention and he gave me a discount for being honest. I paid more than 40 cents tho. He said it, would have scanned for 40 cents
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote