South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #1  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Default Frozen Chicken Question

Ok Gastronomically inclined chicks
I was supposed to be going out tonight so I wasn't going to cook. I know you can (sortof) bake Frozen Chicken, but Can I put it in Boiling Broth without thawing it? It's such a soup day But I want to have some actual meat protein too
Old 09-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

You can absolutely put frozen chicken in broth - but don't boil it. Bring the broth to a boil and then lower to a simmer and simmer/poach the chicken. I know this sounds weird, but if you boil it, you'll make it tough and dry. Cook it slowly in simmering broth and it'll be yummy.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #3  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

i not only put it in broth
i put it on the grill
i put it in the microwave
i put it in the pan.

flash frozen chicken defrosts nicely....
Old 09-29-2008, 02:34 PM   #4  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Thanks Ladies! Normally I indivudally wrap all my meat but DH put this stuff away os it will be chicken white bean lentil tomato something or another tonight!
Old 09-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've made soup many times with frozen chicken before (raw and cooked).

It turns out great, except I've noticed as PhotoChick mentioned, that the meat gets tough, if I put the frozen raw chicken (especially white meat) in when the liquid is boiling or if I cook it on high heat (I have a terrible tendency to cook things on high heat). Simmering works much better.

Whenever hubby and I have a whole chicken (either made at home or rotisserie chickens from the deli), we usually get two meals out of it, and then I make soup with the the carcass. Usually I freeze it to make soup later. I put the bones and any gelatin or meat that's left into a ziploc bag and freeze. Sometimes I'll wait until I have two carcasses to make the broth/stock. I throw those still frozen into cold water with a whole onion (peel removed), celery leaves and bottoms, and a couple whole carrots (washed, but not peeled), and simmer to make the base for a soup. Then I strain, let the solids cool, and remove the veggies and pull the meat off the bones to be put back into the soup.

I also sometimes dice cooked chicken (say after we've had grilled chicken breasts or thighs, or sometimes I'll cook them just to freeze for later) and freeze in a ziploc bag. As it is freezing, I shake the bag and separate the pieces every 10 to 15 minutes so that the pieces freeze separated, and I can just pour out the chicken I need for soups or chicken salads or other dishes.

When buying boneless, I like thighs better than breasts. They're cheaper, and cook up to be more tender, but they are a bit higher in fat and calories per ounce.

Last edited by kaplods; 09-29-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I throw those still frozen into cold water with a whole onion (peel removed),
A couple of tips if you're making stock to use later:

Take your frozen carcasses and roast them in a 400 deg oven for about an hour before throwing them in the water (make sure the bones are nice and brown)- it gives the stock a nice deep, rich roasted flavor.

Also if you put your onion in there unpeeled (you can strain out the skin later), it'll give your stock a deep, rich golden color and a bit more depth of flavor.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:51 PM   #7  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I usually do thighs I like the flavor better these are breasts so we'll see but I have a giant can of broth a big and a little can of tomatoes and a few other things to flavorize it so far it will be chicken tomatoes Garlic broth white beans garbanzos (I think) lentils split peas Carrots onions Zuchini (maybe) or Cauliflower or spinach it depends what I snag from the freezer!

More than Likely we'll be able to have our own brass band after dinner
Closed Thread