Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-27-2008, 06:57 PM   #1  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Default Would you?

Today at my gym, I noticed that there was a schedule of classes at a different gym on the opposite end of town. (Just to clarify - the gym I go to is not a chain; and the other gym has a different name and appears to be for women only). I asked at the front desk if my membership entitles me to use the other gym as well and they said no, but I can "upgrade" my membership and for additional $15 a month I can use the other gym as well.

The "other" gym is close to my workplace, so I could go there at lunch time. Unfortunately, they have only one lunch class that I would like - a Pilates class on Monday and do I like the instructor (she sometimes subs at my regular gym).

Now I wonder if it is worth it to pay an extra $15 for one 45-minute class a week. This season, my regular gym does not have any Pilates classes (at least not in the evening when I could go) because the latest craze is Zumba.
My membership already costs me $47 a month.
Would you "upgrade?"

Last edited by Tomato; 09-27-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:31 PM   #2  
No description available.

$15 for 4 classes a month breaks down to be just a few bucks per class. If money is not tight it is totally worth it. Just think about how you are paying the instructor for her time. She is a professional.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:53 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

What about just being able to workout there in general on a work day? I'd think it would be worth it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:25 AM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I agree. I think having the flexibility of being about to go to a gym close to your work might come in handy. You could keep a gym bag at work for those days where you have the urge to work out at lunch or before you head home for the day. And $15 a month for a weekly pilates class, especially if you know the instructor is good, seems pretty reasonable. I'm not sure what my gym charges for pilates classes (yes, they cost extra in addition to my membership) but I'm pretty sure it's more than $3.75 a class ($15 per month divided by four weeks per month = $3.75 per class).
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:46 PM   #5  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Thanks. I have decided (independently of your suggestions) that I will at least give it a try for one month. I have to find out if I can do it for one month - I hope so.
Yes, I think I can go and do something else at least one more day in a week - I often work through my lunch so at least it would get me out of the office during the lunch hour. I cannot go there before or after work as I have dogs at home and I will not extend the time when I am gone.

Barbara, here, all our classes are included in the cost of membership (which I consider VERY good). It is not that case in every gym, but that's how it works at mine and we do have quite a variety of classes. As I mentioned, no Pilates this season but I am taking Zumba 101 and I think I will try Body Sculpt (it is right after Zumba) so no extra trip is required. Each class is 45 minutes. I also do core class on Sats. and Sundays, but those are only 30 minutes.

Thanks for your replies.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I've been looking into yoga classes in my area and a month (4 classes) is $60, so I'd say the upgrade is a good deal.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

The gym I go to is part of a chain and I definitely take advantage of bieng able to go to different ones. Sometimes if traffic is really bad, I'll go to the one near my office in the evenings and wait out the traffic.

So my advice would be, if you can afford it, then yeah, I would think the $15 is worth it. Not just for the lunchtime class, but for the ability to have some flexibility.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:05 PM   #8  
Hooray for the Rays!

S/C/G: 5-8 pounds to go

Height: 5'3

As the other poster mentioned, if you have the bucks then it's absolutely worth it.
Mfit4Me is offline   Reply With Quote