General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-27-2008, 03:53 PM   #1  
banned

S/C/G: 222/136/?

Height: 5'10

Default Fund Raising Ideas For Cancer Charity

I need some ideas on how to raise money for a charity. I am doing a 2 mile walk in support of finding a cure for Lymphoma and Leukemia. It's a national event called "Light the Night." and

I'm doing this walk because several of my relatives have died of cancer but none from Lymphoma or Leukemia. Also being a 5 year maintainer I think it's a great way to get some exercise while in the process of helping out a very good cause. The problem is that I'm not sure how to raise money. I don't feel comfortable asking people for money because I know how I feel about being asked for money. I feel especially uncomfortable asking people for money in this time because I know many people are struggling because of the economy. I tried doing an ebay auction and donating the proceeds but ebay cancelled my auction saying that was against the rules.

I haven’t collected much money yet and time is running out because the walk is next Saturday. Do you have any other ideas on how I could raise some cash fast? Sponsors don't even have to give the money to me directly and can donate online by credit card.

Thanks for the ideas.
benchmarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

How far are you going to walk? Perhaps you could ask people to pledge so much per mile. Where is your walk being held ? I am a cancer patient in treatment now.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:51 PM   #3  
ugggg.....

I know it's not the same thing.

My friend used to babysit a little girl that had cancer. They did a raffle--a local bank set up a trust and held the money from the ticket sale and anyone that wanted to just donate money. Local business donated all kinds of things. It actually raised quite a bit of money for the medical bills.

Bargoo--you will be in my prayers

Last edited by jules1216; 09-27-2008 at 05:52 PM.
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Thanks, Jules , your prayers are greatly appreciated.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:29 AM   #5  
banned

I started a closet clean out thread on another message board and donating 100% of the sales. Does anybody mind if I post a link to the sale thread?

bargo, good luck on the treatment!
Old 09-28-2008, 08:12 AM   #6  
Determined to lose!

Bench... do you work? If so, place a sign up sheet out for everyone in the break room explaining the walk, you'll be surprised at how many ppl sign up!
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:04 AM   #7  
banned

Yes, I work but the charity is part of a work related team so everybody who is going to donate is part of the team or has donate in another way.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:30 PM   #8  
banned

The sale was a big flop I only sold 1 item for $9