Old 09-25-2008, 03:17 PM   #1  

Height: 5'2''

Default BMR and RMR

I went to a nutritionist and got my BMR calculated- it 1510 calories/day- which is high for my stats: I'm 20 years old, 5'2.5'', and weigh 119 pounds. I'm trying to get down to around 110. When I was about 136 I started some pretty intense weight training (which I think is why my metabolism is higher than normal) but while I was weight training my weight dropped very very slowly. I just started studying abroad in Ireland and I have only been lifting about once every two weeks now (and the weight came off a lot quicker this way) and running HIIT 2x week. However I am walking a lot more here than I did in the US about anywhere from 3-6 miles a day.

The nutritionist just multiplied by BMR by 1.2 (1812) and told me if I want to lose 1 pound a week I should eat 1312 (and that math is right because 1 pound=3500 calories.) However I'm not sure if 1.2 was a high enough number to multiply my BMR by to calculate my RMR. My weight loss has slowed a lot (this might just be because I'm getting close to my goal weight) and I'm not sure if it's because I'm eating too little or too much. I calorie count and eat about 1400 calories a day (but sometimes I eat 1,000 and sometime I eat 2,000). Should I multiply my BMR by a higher number?

I'm also thinking about starting to lift intensly again, but I had heard it is a bad idea to try and gain muscle (I want to be pretty muscular) while on a calorie deficit. Is this true? Should I get down to 110 and then really start lifting? Or should I start now?

Ok my final question is. Is it better to walk for 60 minutes continuously or for 10 minutes 6 times a day. I had heard it takes 10 minutes of excercise to use up all the glucose (?) in your blood (?) (I'm really not sure about this). But I'm not sure which way of walking would be better.

Dee
tigger175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:27 AM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Start lifting more now, don't wait until goal.
I'm a shorty, too - and this last bit of weight is hard to get off. I eat around 1400-1500 per day.
I do intense strength train 3x per week, and cardio other days.

It wouldn't hurt you to multiple your BMR by 1.4 and try eating that for a couple of weeks to see what happens.

Also - on your calorie cycling, I think 1000 one day and 2000 another is too wide a swing (IMHO). Try more for 1200 one day and 1700 another day. If you are lifting and doing cardio, 1000 is way too little.

As far as how long to exercise for, there is a lot of conflicting info out there. As long as you get the total time in - it's better to get in six 10 minute walks than no walks at all. How much glucose is in your blood is really dependent upon what you eat, how tolerant you are to insulin, and how long before your exercise you have eaten.

Now glycogen, on the other hand - I believe your muscles store 300 calories worth at any given time, and that is used as energy during your workouts. I read that in "You On A Diet", so you can check that figure just to be sure.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote