General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 07:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/200/125

Height: 5'4"

Default Doin it the Old fashioned Way #8

Continued from #7 . . .

Just thought I'd start a new thread as we were on page 7 over there

For anyone new, this thread is basically for those counting calories, or fat grams or weight watchers points, or doing something like Richard Simmon's Deal-a-Meal... anything along those lines :-)

Feel free to join in or just lurk... the gals here can be very motivating!!

Christine
195/148/130
Old 04-11-2002, 07:42 PM   #2  

Hi. Hope you don't mind me joining in. I was wondering what this thread was all about and glad I found out. I just started eating healthy, I guess, (I'm scared to call it a diet and offend someone!!), today, doing Slim Fast Plan. I've done all right but would love motivation. Glad you guys are here!
Old 04-11-2002, 07:50 PM   #3  

Welcome Darmah!

I say feel free to call it a diet.. I don't think anyone on this thread would be offended. As much as people push the 'new lifestyle' idea.. i say, I'm dieting (or attempting to anyways) If folx don't like that, too bad

I personally have been counting calories off and on for the last 14 months. I lost 46 pounds so far but I'm kinda in a rut! I find slimfast to be a good option for some of my meals so I keep a container in the cabinet. I don't think I'd have the willpower to stick with it for 2 meals a day but I think its a great way to kickstart the diet tho!

Again, welcome and I hope you find some motivation here.. I definitely have

Christine
195/148/130

Last edited by silence; 04-11-2002 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:25 PM   #4  

Angry Good evening

Hi ya ladies,,,,,

Christine thank you for start a new thread.. we fill them up quickly dont we? Sorry you had a bummer day,, but its all behind you and with each minute you have a new opportunity to be one step closer to your goal..

Welcome Darmah, glad you could join us. I have done the Slim fast in the past and was quite sucessful with it. It is way to expensive up here in Canada though. Its 14.99 a six pack and I use to pay 4.50 a six pack for it back in Illinois.. That is more then double the exchange rate for sure..
Hope you will stay with us and post often.

So how is everyone else doing? Today is good for me..
I have been marinating boneless, skinless chicken breast in teriaki and fresh garlic since yesterday, I am getting ready to put them under the broiler in a few minutes. Also am having brown rice and steamed broccoli and carrots. And lots of water.

Went shopping to day and talked the hubby into trying on a new pair of levis... I am so proud of him...he now wears a 34 waist instead of a 36...He has lost 24 pounds.. Dont think he needs to lose too much more. He has stuck right beside me every step of the way since we started on 2/5. Never a complaint out of him.

I am not weighing till the 15th.. hopefully all signs of the TOM will be long gone and I can be down a few pounds..
Ugh,, what us women have to go through its a downright shame...dont ya think???

Ok well I am off to get dinner finished... have a great night all and remember to drink that water.....flushes all the yucky stuff away.....

Nancy

207/193/150 1st goal
weigh in 4/15

Last edited by Snowey; 04-11-2002 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:36 PM   #5  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default WOW!!

Hi Everyone!! Wow, you get busy for a few days and there is much to catch up on!!

Welcome T-girl and Darmah! I have not been posting here very long, but trust me, this is one fired up and motivational group!

Tryn’hard – Wow!! Virginia!! My hubby worked there for 3 months after he had spent some time in Canada with me. I have not made it there, but I was secretly hoping we would get sent there for 3 months, I wouldn’t be working, but could handle becoming a ‘gym rat’ and p/t tourist! Ok, I had 2 months off work between leaving Canada for Australia…. And got terribly bored, maybe I wouldn’t cope so well. I hope you have a great time there!

Vermont Mom – I am trying to keep a variety to my routine, there are so many things out there. The deep water running class is great. You are in the ‘deep’ end of the pool with floaty waist belts so that you don’t have to work on swimming, we spent 45 minutes doing running movements and swimming movements. It helped loosen up the tight muscles from horse riding. I also find that the cardio equipment and weights are packed on the Monday evening and by Wednesday, everyone but the regulars disappears. I think I might stick to this class on Monday nights!

Melissa – how is the non-smoking going? Even if you cut down that is a huge step! I hope it is going well for you!

Nancy – you made me just laugh when you said the fridge was calling you! You are so funny!!

Jacklyn – tell him how much you lose. Men are funny, they have no idea about weight and numbers. Or better yet, do the size thing, they never remember anyway!! Otherwise we would all get perfectly fitting clothes for pressies! I had a t-shirt sent to me when I lived in Canada that I could barely get over my chest!!! I just asked him what he was thinking?? He wasn’t that was the problem!! Hehehehe They make me laugh.

Pamela – sounds like you are doing really well!! Already out there buying clothes! That is great!

Christine – I am sending you hugs!! You sounded so sad ! Thanks for starting another thread. I had a night like that…. Nothing planned for dinner, nervous about a fitness assessment… and the next thing I know I am eating a lamb soulvaki (like a donair) from the fish and chip shop. It is my new comfort food. I know that it could be worse, but lamb is a fatty meat but I felt so good afterwards. I don’t turn to chocolate anymore! Tonight I am refocused… I am marinating chicken breast in a yogurt, ginger and garlic sauce and will make that tonight with a salad and veggies. You can get refocused and back to the BFL workout. I am still deciding on buying the book or not, I have heard that there is good information in it… what are your thoughts?

Darmah – Hi! I replied to another one of your posts in a different thread! Great to see you here. I said before, I am finding slimfast a good starter and a better option than fast food. I am starting to ‘wean’ myself from it and I am in a weight rut but have lost inches and a couple of dress sizes with exercise so I am going to focus on that for now. I keep a can in the fridge at work and a bar in my purse as an option when I get really hungry!

My rant:
I had a fitness assessment done last night and did not do as well as I thought, even though I am walking and taking classes, I am not working hard enough! It is time to think my goals over again. I am starting a weight program too tomorrow (Friday is my night away from exercise) and see how that goes. I am thinking that I might get a heart rate monitor …. But I pay for the motorbike tomorrow and need to get the full gear first…. I am stoked about buying the jacket and pants a whole size smaller than I though I needed to! Now I need to get to goal size (not weight) to order a custom set of leathers!! OH YA!!! 8 more sleeps until my license course begins!! My friend is going to drive the bike for me next week so that I can have it at home right after the license course!! No pressure to pass or anything!! I am taking two days off around the last weekend of April to do some riding and de-stress myself from the job. I am not happy here and need to make a change… and I think another 4 day weekend will make that very clear to me and get me looking again.

Take care everyone, stay motivated and keep with it. We will get to our goals!! We Will!!!

Nola.
Old 04-11-2002, 09:16 PM   #6  

Nola, thanks for the hugs.. you are sweet... I think it has to be PMS.. I always get emotional .. I'm going to try to be strong tomorrow tho and even if I'm not feeling cheery, I'm going to try to eat healthy!! I can do it!!

As far as the BFL book.. I just borrowed it from the library myself because I didnt want to spend the money on it until I knew how I felt about it. I think that its a good read but unless you plan to do their plan exactly, you could probably find most of the same info online. They have a Body for Life thread on this board you can check out.. and then there is www.leanandstrong.com (that page is a community of folx, most on the BFL program and there is TONS of info shared there). It seems to me after hanging out there for a while that most folx are looking to achieve that 'cut muscular buff' look and I realized that is NOT what I'm after.. I want a nice toned look so I'm going to continue doing strength training workouts 3x a week but not so intensely. If I were you, the first thing I'd do is go check out that leanandstrong website for a while and see if it sounds tempting before you go and buy the book

Hope that helps..

Christine
195/148/130
Old 04-11-2002, 09:51 PM   #7  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hi everyone!

Christine - thanks for starting the new thread. I'm so sorry you had a rotten day.I really hope that it passes tonight and you feel better tomorrow!

And thank you for the walking advice. I should have figured out that everyone's pace will be different. I did try those numbered levels of intensity that you mentioned on my stepper today, and got through it. Thanks!

tryin'hard - thanks for your input too. I'll have to start some conversations with myself to see how I'm doing! I love our honesty with each other - I also snoop into people's yards, mostly to make my lazy self feel better ("okay, they haven't raked their yard yet either!").

I tried Kashi with yogurt this morning, and it was really good! Thanks!

Nancy - I'm so glad you resisted those evil voices!! I've also been marinating chicken breasts lately - after I bring them home from the store, I divide them into dinner-portions, put them into freezer baggies with different marinades (teriyaki, Italian, cajun) and freeze them. Then take them out the night before to defrost. Sure is easy then to make some rice or pasta and veggies to go with them.

Sounds like you have a HUGE road trip coming up! Sounds like fun! And say CONGRATS to your husband!!!! 24 pounds lost?! I'm happy for him - and jealous! Oh yeah - were your arms sore from your arm-work yesterday?

Hi t-girl! Hope you're having a good evening. Do you lift free weights, or have a station?

Jacklyn - no way could the five # be fat gained - remember, your eating habits were totally different for a week so you probably had more sodium, and maybe some alcohol, so that will cause water retention, I'm sure. Just go back to your healthy eating and drink lots of water, and continue exercising.

About your questioning to lose 35# more - I also wonder if you maybe should be thinking of a size, instead of weight? As we know, a fit person at 145# can look better (and definitely feel better) than an unfit person at 125#. Do you have a trusted health professional you could ask the advice of?

Pamela - hope you're not feeling too tired! Though with a little one to run after, that's probably difficult! Eat those strawberries, lots of vitamin C for you!

Sprite - check in with us when you can! We'll be thinking of you!

Melisa - how's the no-smokin' goin'? Or even if you can cut down, your lungs will be thanking you as you're bicycling soon. You deserve ALOT of credit for trying to quit smoking along with weight loss. We're proud of you!

Welcome Darmah - I hope you find this thread as helpful and inspiring and funny and great as I have.

H Kanola - who was it that gave you the review? I say it sounds like you're doing FANTASTIC! It's so hard to focus on the positive when someone says the negative, but keep going. You're going to feel so hot on your bike!!!!

Some of us mentioned Susan Powter, and how inspirational she was. I read her first book, then read the second, but she seemed to be off-track with the second. I remember something like she had a family member that told tabloid magazines that she never really was that overweight to begin with...something that she just couldn't forgive the person for saying, and was understandably bitter, but it really came through in the book. I hope she's doing well, wherever she is.

I checked my journal, and I will do my second measuring on the 24th. That will be one month (I haven't been on the scales since the weekly weighings were making me MAD).

HAVE A GREAT EVENING!

Holly
Old 04-12-2002, 09:54 AM   #8  

So how does this work? Do you start a new thread everyday or keep building on the old one until it gets too long? Well, today so far was okay. I had a meeting early this morning and goofed up a bit. They were serving breakfasty foods, and we all know how those can end up. A gorge fest of cinnamon rolls and fake orange juice. Anyway, I didn't gorge but did go way over my calorie limit, which means I'll be starving all day today. Oh well. wish me luck in not pigging out later on. Thanks for all the welcome, too. I really appreciate the support and knowing that I'm (we're) not alone in this. Anyway. Talk to you all later!
Old 04-12-2002, 10:19 AM   #9  

Good morning, all! I hope you're all having a great day!
Thanks, Christine, for starting the new thread! I'm glad you take care of us!
Darmah--welcome! You'll find lots of inspiration and motivation here! (and Nancy will make you laugh out loud!)
Nancy--congrats to your dh. I know my dh wants to loose the 10# he's put on the last few years. We're looking forward to when we can leave dd at home an walk together in the mornings. He's a healthy eater, but just doesn't get as much exercise as he should.
Nola--can't wait to get to Virginia! We leave after lunch today. It'll be so nice just to relax and do some good bicycle riding. I'm not ready for cc's yet!! You are going to have to post a picture of yourself when you get your leathers! You are going to be one hot chick!!
VT mom--I never thought to marinate the chicken before freezing. It makes a lot of sense!
Well, my friends, I am off to vacation. Have a great week and I'll be back next Friday.
God bless.
Old 04-12-2002, 01:54 PM   #10  

Nancy, give your hubby a great big pat on the back for me! I'm trying to talk my dh into going for a walk every night. He really needs to lose the weight especially with both his parents having diabetes.

Nola: You are doing great! Before you know it, you'll have those leather pants!

Emmett continues to get up in the night and isn't sleeping well with us. I'm going to try to cut out his nap but I'm so tired that I let him nap, which really isn't helping. I've also lost 2 pounds since last week which probably isn't an issue yet. Better than gaining another 5 I suppose!!
In Christ,
Pamela
Old 04-12-2002, 02:58 PM   #11  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Good Afternoon everyone!!

I am so psyched that is an absolutely beautiful day out. Blue sky, warm sun, breezy - fantastic! Of course, there are still piles of snow and the lake is still frozen - but it means so much for me to be able to get outside and do yard work, and say hello to all the plants that are reappearing (yes, I'm a "plant-o-phile")and see which ones need dividing, moving, etc. This is what I needed to stop thinking about food! (and going back to work next month )

Enough of me - how is everyone else today?

darmah - we will post on this thread until it gets too long, - say, 6 or 7 pages. Then we'll start a new one.

That must have been so difficult to have breakfasty yummy things put in front of you - so hard to say no. But that's what we gotta do. Don't feel like you "blew it" for the day, though - and don't starve yourself to "make up" for it. okay, enough of my preaching!

Pamela, now we're going to be worried if you lose weight! I hope your son starts sleeping better, for his sake and yours!

Maybe it's too late to say bon voyage to tryin' hard, but we'll be thinking of you!

Nancy, Christine, Jacklyn, Melisa, Kanola, Sprite and t-girl - hope you're all doing fine and smiling!!!

Talk to you tomorrow - Holly
Old 04-12-2002, 03:23 PM   #12  

Arrow My progress

Hi everyone, I just wanted to let you know my progress, I had lost 2 pounds in the past week. I did expect one more, but I was weak yesterday!! My DH and i went out, I ate some chicken that was not quite low fat!! In the end, it made me feel sick. I am trying once again though, won't give up. To day is my weights day. I am going to go for a walk, need to think and feel the fresh air. I just wanted to thank everyone in here, you all are alot of help. I know I need it. Have a nice day. I am still adjusting to him being gone, it will take a few days.

Latisia

( PS, about Susan Powter, she does tend to mention alot of her personat tidbits.. I try to go around them, Her recipe book is real good.)
Old 04-12-2002, 08:29 PM   #13  

HOWDY ALL !!!!!

T-girl~~~ WAY TO GO on the two pound loss, you must be feeling good about that!!! You are doing wonderful!

Holly~~~ I am so envious of your blue skies and sunshine today. I wish you could send some this way. Its raining and gray skies but it has washed all the nasty dirty snow away.

Pamela~~~ Hopefully Emmett will start sleeping through the night and you can get the proper rest you need. Just make sure to eat right and take your vitamins. Having a little one sure takes alot out of you. I think my grandson is close to the age of your son and he is just now starting to sleep all night long. My son and daughter in law were beginning to wonder if he ever would. But please be sure to take care of your self oke doke??

Tryin'hard~~~ I know you are long gone on your way to Virginia, but am hoping you have a great time and a safe trip also.

Darmah~~~ Hope you have a great evening. Remember the cinnamon rolls are in the past now. "Forget about em"

Christine~~~ How are you today? That PMS is a real kick in the pants dont ya think? ... here I am 46 years old and not only do I get the TOM for almost 6 days now. But low and behold I have a huge boulder on my forehead. I swear this thing is as big as Rhode Island. Now whats up with that???? I told my husband last night that I was going to throw myself on the floor in front of him and force him to take a kitchen knife and lance the sucker right off my forehead (of course he justs laughs and calls me a nut) I have never got pimples before.. why in the heck should I get them now???????
All I can say its a good thing I dont wear hats as I know they would not fit right now with my head the size of ET's
I am afraid to go out in public and see all the finger pointing and the whispers of people saying "Look at that 46 year old woman with the huge zit on her forehead , stay away from her , ewwwwww"

Nola~~~ Hope you are having a good day and getting rid of that stress. I would love to try that swim type work out. We have a real nice facility here. But I am afraid that there will be too many men around and I would hate that. I have those type of arms that when you wave goodbye to someone , you are still waving after they have been gone a hour already. Its not pretty.....!!! I don’t think I can ever tone these arms up. You should have seen me last year when I got married. My dress was off the shoulder and little sleeves, I was on my guard constantly when we were dancing to make sure I did not get my arms going too fast and take the chance that I would knock my husband right into the wedding cake. Geesh that would have put a damper on the wedding !!!!!!!!!!!! If I can ever get an attachment on here, Ill post a pic of our wedding. And you can see what I mean

Do they make long sleeve swimsuits????????????????

Melisa & Jacklyn~~~ How are you both? Hope you are having a good day.

Sprite~~~ Hope you are back with us soon!!!!!!!!!!

Ok... I have lost one entire post, so before this gets any longer and take the chance of losing it again,,, Ill get off of here and go get dinner ready. I hope everyone has a great evening, keep smiling friends !!!!!!

Ciao for Now....
Nancy

Last edited by Snowey; 04-12-2002 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-12-2002, 08:59 PM   #14  

Hello all :-)

I'm still battling my PMS here. I felt a lot better today but still was a pigg-o Hoping to have a good weekend food-wise... we'll see.

Nancy, I know exactly what you mean about the wedding dress thing. I actually bought an almost sleeveless dress for my wedding (October 2000) and brought it to a seamstress who sewed on some sheer sleeves for me cuz I didnt dare show my arms. I was so not happy with the dress. It is my dream to someday loose all this weight and go to the beach somewhere and renew my vows in a cute little spaghetti strap white sundress! My husband told me a couple years ago that when I reach my weight-loss goal he'd take me on a tropical vacation (I've never been anywhere tropical!).. so thats the plan.. IF i ever get there!!

I am just now beginning to dare wear tank tops but my arms are far from what I'm hoping for eventually. I'm hoping this strength training I've started will improve that area .. we'll see...

So.. hope everyone has a great weekend.. not sure what my plans are just yet but I'm going to try to behave on the diet-front!! I promise!

Christine
195/148/130

Last edited by silence; 04-12-2002 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:47 PM   #15  

Nancy, your family is beautiful!!!!! Thanks for sharing those pics.

Emmett had slept through the night from the night he was born until about a month ago when he crawled out of his crib. I made him stay up all day today (he was really mad by 8, LOL). Hopefully this will help. He's just a little too squirmy to cosleep with right now (always has been actually). My sister and I took him to the park too to see if we could work off some energy. I'll let you know, LOL.

In Christ,
Pamela
Closed Thread