Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 09-20-2008, 05:26 PM   #1  
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

Height: 5'7"

Default On the cusp of 250

Hello, all!

I set my first goal at 250 when I started because I thought that's how far I'd need to go to be able to look good in my smallest pair of trousers. I'm at 250.2 officially today.

The trousers definitely fit better than they did at 275, but they aren't quite fitting well enough to look good. (You know how the pockets gap when the pants are even slightly too tight?)

So on the one hand, I'm elated that I've dropped 25 pounds (almost 1/10th of my initial weight) so I'm counting the first goal as reached. I think another 10 pounds will stop the gapping in my trousers so that's my next stepping stone.
twilit tera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Congratulations! That's a lot of weight to lose, it must feel great! I'm sure you've worked hard.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:18 PM   #3  
Changing Inside and Out

S/C/G: 276/249/150

Height: 5'5"

Gratz Lady !! You must be feeling so great !!

So what made you click? I ask because I just had my "click" recently after being overweight for freakin' ever.
luvin2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:13 PM   #4  

Default Please give me advise

Hi im new here my name is angelica and i started out my diet 7wks ago. Ive lost 20lbs thus far however im finding it very difficult to keep on it right now for some reason. my starting weight was 235 now im 217 However today at work one of my coworkers -a fellow bartender said somethin so hurtful and i get these "jokes" a lot and they make me feel so discouraged So you guys can get a better idea this is how it went- I saw ll cool j at a concert got backstage and got a pic with him kissin me on the cheek... I was tellin everyone about it and my coworker said.."REALLY, well was he drunk??' no one laughed they just looked at him like o shi* i cant believe you said that. I was so stunned i couldnt even get angry at the time. Im so depressed and when this happens i just have a hard time stickin to my diet and excersice. I know it makes no sense cuz the only way for those comments to stop is continuing....i dont know I think it would make me feel better just to know that other ppl on their way to acheiving their goals had similar experiences
Angelde21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 241.5/ticker/160

Congrats Tera! Keep up the good work and before you know it, those pants will be too loose!
auntie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:04 PM   #6  
stand-up philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvin2lose View Post
Gratz Lady !! You must be feeling so great !!

So what made you click? I ask because I just had my "click" recently after being overweight for freakin' ever.
Y'know... it was spraining my knee and realizing that I was risking not only my health, but my mobility and future livelihood. I got really depressed for a couple of weeks, and then I realized that all of this was just a symptom of me not treating myself very lovingly.

So, I started working on that - the weightloss is just one facet of that effort.

It's funny, when I read your question, I thought, "Yeah, I know what she means by that, and I can tell you the very thing that did it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelde21
i dont know I think it would make me feel better just to know that other ppl on their way to acheiving their goals had similar experiences
Gosh, I haven't had an experience like that since junior high school, hon. That's what that guy reminds me of... some stupid pubescent idiot who doesn't know how to function around adults! That was HIS problem, not yours, and I'm not surprised at the reaction he got from the others.

Believe it or not, you can brush him (and those like him) off. It'll take practice and it will never be 100%, but if you talk back to those thoughts that give him so much power over you... the dialogue might look like this:

thought: I feel so humiliated! I can't believe he spoke to me like that.
reply: He's the one who should be ashamed. I'm not going to let him manipulate my feelings that way!
thought: But that really hurt my feelings!
reply: Yes, it did, but I already know I deserve more respect than that. I don't have to let him treat me that way.

...and so on. Every time you have a thought that gives others power over you, counter it with a thought that empowers YOU.

Like I said, it takes practice, but eventually, you'll start feeling more powerful and self-confident and the next time some idiot attempts to make you the butt of his joke, you can look him in the eye and say, "I can't believe you said that to me. I deserve more respect than that."

Then let him squirm.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:53 PM   #7  

Thumbs up Thank you!!

"Like I said, it takes practice, but eventually, you'll start feeling more powerful and self-confident and the next time some idiot attempts to make you the butt of his joke, you can look him in the eye and say, "I can't believe you said that to me. I deserve more respect than that."

Then let him squirm."

sry for my rant that makes a lot of sense and that was real good advice I think im just going to concentrate on me. This journey has been tough so far and its not gettin any easier....thats why im here!lol
Angelde21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 163/147/126

Great job! I bet you look great in your trousers. We are always the most critical of ourselves.

Like when you have a pimple on your chin, and you think everyone is staring at it ... and no one else even notices.
SandiCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:14 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 199.8/195/140ish

Height: 5'9"

Congratulations Tera! I know exactly what you are talking about when you refer to the gap in your pockets. 25 pounds is a lot of weight, you should be proud!
WomenAreSmarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:21 AM   #10  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

Congrats Tera!
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:04 AM   #11  
stand-up philosopher

Thanks everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelde21 View Post
sry for my rant that makes a lot of sense and that was real good advice I think im just going to concentrate on me. This journey has been tough so far and its not gettin any easier....thats why im here!lol
It's alright, Angel. That's why we're all here. We all face those rough patches at one time or another, and it's just much easier to face them as a team.

Keep at it!
Old 09-23-2008, 10:11 AM   #12  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Congratulations, Tera! Great job!!!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #13  
stand-up philosopher

Thanks, Josephine!
Old 09-23-2008, 12:09 PM   #14  
FB

Oh wow! How incredibly awesome! 25 pounds is a lot of weight. I always liked to lift whatever the amount was that I lost, made it even more real. Go heft 25 pounds around and you'll be even more amazed!

Those trousers will be fitting nicely and then falling off in no time.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:23 PM   #15  
stand-up philosopher

What a fantastic idea! I don't have any weights around, but I put the scale on the table and started stacking up books until I reached about 25lbs.

I couldn't believe it when I lifted that stack!