Old 09-16-2008, 11:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 322/255/175

Height: 5'6"

Default Fruits for Winter

I've been enjoying the fresh fruit this summer so much but dread the winter when they won't be available. I'm wondering what you all do for the taste and the nutrition. It just doesn't seem like the canned or frozen would be as good for us. Which ones taste good to you? And which ones are the most nutritious?
mom2fivesweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:06 AM   #2  
I LOVE my furbabies!

S/C/G: 216/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'9"

my mom cans her own fruits and vegetables. She gets a lot of her fruits for very cheap or even for free by going to the local fruit stands around town and asking to see their bruised or damaged fruits and buying them...some give them away for free! If you have the ambition for this or know someone who cans their own try this or see if they will can them for you. They taste great and it ends up saving money by not having to buy canned fruit from the grocery store. But the canned fruits I like the best are Dole. I'm not sure how great they are for you but I get the stuff in it's own juices. Never the stuff in syrup. Good luck. If you do find something that you find fabulous please share with the rest of us!
net knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:18 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

For fruit, fresh is my first choice, but I often do use frozen fruit, especially berries. Nutritiously frozen fruits and vegetables, even canned can be a good choice. Sometimes they're actually a better choice than fresh (if the fresh isn't so fresh, if you know what I mean).

Because they're canned or frozen at their peak, they can be better than "fresh" produce that has sat on the shelf, or in some warehouse for months.

I use frozen berries to make smoothies and slushies. I just blend (still frozen) in a blender with milk, juice, water, Crystal light, or diet citrus soda.

Apples and oranges are often very good in the fall and winter. Good pineapple is often available all year round, especially if you pick the super sweet hybrids (usually "Gold" is in the name, like Dole Gold).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:08 AM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Ditto what kaplods said on the frozen/canned - especially frozen. Same holds with vegetables. Except in cases where sodium is added to preserve the veg, or sugar to the fruit, the canned and frozen varieties are just as legitimate as fresh. I do recommend winter citrus, and fall apples... Otherwise I look for canned fruit that is packed in juice, not syrup or frozen fruit with nothing added to stir into oatmeal or make smoothies with.
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:19 AM   #5  

Frozen fruits and vegetable are even healthier than fresh in some cases. Fresh food has to travel to us and lose nutrients daily. The frozen ones are processed in a day or two after picking. Just don't get the sugar added kind. Canned fruit is also good, again avoid sugar.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 322/255/175

Thanks so much ladies!
I appreciate all the replies. I would LOVE to can and may actually look into that this year. The rest was great information because I've been so health conscious since starting WW and it's good to know that the frozen and/or canned would be just as good or better nutritionally. I DO like canned pineapple and love it with my cottage cheese.
Thanks again!
mom2fivesweeties is offline   Reply With Quote