Old 09-16-2008, 01:15 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/204/130

Height: 5'4"

Default How much do you Exercise and What kind do you do?

I'm curious as to what kind of exercise everyone does and how often.

I'm hooked on the Elliptical. I love it! I don't do weight training, but know I should. When I lost 80 pnds before, it was done with just walking (and calorie counting). I will eventually add weights, but want to just get into the cardio part of it first.

I do the Elliptical for 45-1 hr, 5 days a week. I also do the stationary bike and treadmill, but mostly the elliptical. I watch movies on my Ipod and read magazines and that helps me stay on a while.

What do you all do?
Curvaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:34 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

50-60 min on the elliptical, 5-6 days a week, plus an hour and a bit (usually 65-75 minutes) of total body strength training twice a week.

I usually try to fit in some weekend exercise, but am hit or miss with doing so consistently.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:34 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

Exercise bike every day for 30 minutes.
Walk three days a week for 3 miles.
Strength train with resistance bands every other day for about 30 minutes.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

I posted this to another thread recently and then to my blog, so I thought I'd just copy and paste

On a normal week I hit the gym 4-5 times. I do 30 mins of weights (I’m using sort of a modified version of the New Rules of Lifting for Women plan) 3x a week, followed by 30 mins of ss-cardio on either the elliptical or the treadmill. The other 1-2 days I do 20 to 30 mins of HIIT cardio on the elliptical.

Also every morning when I get up before I shower I do a set of mat stretches just to get the blood flowing (sort of a combination of some Pilates type stretches combined with a short set of Tai-Chi stretches that a friend of mine who’s an instructor taught me), followed by 50 crunches on the swiss ball and 50 pushups on an incline off of my cedar chest (not full *real* pushups yet - but I’m working on it).

Every once in a while I throw in a workout DVD on a non-gym day, but lately I’ve been slacking on those. Weekends are particularly bad for getting in workouts 'cause I'm caught up in other things (including sleeping in!).

I use a Polar HRM and try to aim for burning about 500-600 calories a day from exercise.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 205/160s/128

Height: 5'0"

Compared to others, I'm not doing a lot it seems - but it's working for me.

I was alternating a mini-trampoline workout, a "tummy, hips and thighs" workout and jogging/walking intervals on the treadmill - I was doing 30 mins of one of these 3 times a week.

2 weeks ago I upped it to 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week, still choosing between those three workout activities, and this week I'm changing again - 3 days of 45 minutes (treadmill) and the other 2 days doing the 30 minute workouts on my dvd (mini-trampoline or "tummy hips and thighs).

I think I just made that sound way more confusing than it should be. Weekends I don't do any super formal exercise, just some handweights in the evening - but I spend the whole day on my feet both days working retail.
rainbowstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:36 AM   #6  
Goddess in Training

S/C/G: 207/177/147 (?)

Mine is pretty straight-forward. I walk for 45 minutes-1 hour every morning. I walk outside if the weather is decent, but resort to a treadmill at the gym if it isn't.
In the evening I stretch, do crunches and work out with dumbells. This routine takes about 20 minutes, and I do it in front of the TV after the kids are in bed. Nothing flashy, but it makes me feel good.

Last edited by shrillharpy; 09-16-2008 at 04:37 AM.
shrillharpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:22 AM   #7  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

I work out pretty much every day. I run 4 days per week -- 3 x 5 mile runs and one long run which varies from 9 - 12 miles. On the other three days I go to some kind of hour-long class at the gym, a combination of strength training, core training and aerobics. That's the week, and in addition to that, I have a new kayak and take it out paddling as many Saturdays as my schedule permits. I figure I burn an average of 400-500 calories per day in exercise. (Being really small, a 5 mile run only nets me about 450 calories burned.)
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:11 AM   #8  

I bike to school on Tuesdays (10.5 miles each way) and to 'town' Saturday to hang out (9.5 miles each way plus 3 or so miles running around). I try and fit in something else on Thursdays, be it a 'short' bike ride or lately, hitting the gym.

My foot has finally healed, so I am going to start adding in some long walks, which I miss and as the weather gets worse, I'll start trying to adjust to going to the gym, which I hate.
cdiem4994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:31 AM   #9  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I can't walk to much due to a foot injury (for which I got a cortizone shot), but I do take my dog for walks every day. They can last anywhere from just 15 minutes or for an hour.

I do cardio 5 or 6 days a week. I usually do about 50 minutes which is usually about 20 minutes of a step mill (very hard) and 30 minutes of a rowing machine. Or, I do one hour of swimming the breast stroke. I also do weights 2 to 3 times a week to the point that I always have sore muscles. It makes me feel good in some sick, twisted way!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:12 AM   #10  
A New me! Right Now!

S/C/G: 218/198/145

Height: 5'1"

I try to work out about 4 -5 days a week with my various work out DVD's. I work out to anything from "The Firm" (circuit training - burns major calories) or my favorite "Burn and Fit Pilates" (in which we use light weights in half of the workout for strength training) I try to burn 300-500 calories a day. It seems to be working well for me i have been loosing on an average of 1-2 lbs per week and fel full of energy.
dlphnmomva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:26 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 229/206/1??

I walk a mile everyday except Saturday. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I do 30 mins of strength training and towel streches. I try to fit in a DVD, usually Biggest Loser, first thing in the morning 3-5 days a week.

And whatever else I have time for!
AngelMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #12  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

I strength train 3X per week currently - 30 minute sessions
I jog 3 miles 3x per week
I bike ride 1-2 days per week, at least an hour
Walking or exercise DVD on non-jogging days.

I do a lot of exercise, but I am really focused on fitness currently. I don't belong to a gym, so I have no excuse not to workout, since I have equipment at home!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:58 AM   #13  
FB

It never once crossed my mind when I first begun losing weight that exercise would become such a necessary and ENJOYABLE thing for me. I must admit, it makes this losing fun.

I generally do cardio at the gym 7 days a week, strength training with my PT 2-3 days and my bike. Cardio sessions (usually elliptical or stair stepper) are lasting 60-90 minutes these days because I'm wrapping up a local Biggest Losers contest and am going to WIN, tomorrow as a matter of fact. For rest days I use my stationary bike while watching television or take the dog for an hours walk. I also use my punching bag at home, am building up to 15 minutes at a time, it's rough.

After the contest is over I'll cut back on the cardio, won't do it on days I work with my PT. My hub is getting me boxing lessons which I'm super excited over. I want to kick butt!

And to think I started exercising in February able to do the stationary bike for 5 minutes at a time. Yay! I can't wait to see where I'm at next year.

Last edited by FB; 09-16-2008 at 12:07 PM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:09 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

I love the elliptical because it feels like running without the impact on my knees. I would like to try trampolining; it looks like fun. Occasionally I go roller skating, and sometimes I run.

At the moment, since I'm just got back from a month long vacation where exercising was very sporadic I'm just doing 10 min bike ride to gym both ways a few times a week, 20 to 25 min on elliptical and various weights on upper and lower body 5x a week. Next week I'll up it since I feel like my body is ready for more.

Last edited by Taurie; 09-16-2008 at 12:10 PM. Reason: forgot some info.
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #15  
Workin' It

- I'm currently doing 45 minutes of cardio six mornings per week, usually on the elliptical, sometimes the stationary bike. I'm trying to make these HITT sessions, but think I'm going too long and not bringing the heart rate back down far enough on the rest periods to really call it that.
- I do either a 10 minute pilates video, ab & back video or some other short routine every morning as well, but don't always do it. Right now I'm averaging 4-5 times per week for that.
- I've just started weight/resistance training, I'm doing that for 40-50 minutes 3 days per week.
- I try to do a 20 minute cardio yoga in the evenings the nights after the strength training, because it has turned out to be a great routine to stretch the sore muscles the day after. That might not continue much longer, as DH is almost done with school. After that I'll probably work it into the morning routine somehow.

I have a weight bag I'm trying to figure out how to work into the routine as well.

I'm new to the exercising regularly, and have also been surprised at how much I like the way it makes me feel!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote