Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 09-15-2008, 09:39 PM   #1  
New mom, aspiring DVM

S/C/G: 280/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Default What do you wish you'd known?

Ok, just curious whether anyone has any advice for preparing for a healthy pregnancy.

I suppose you could call me in a pre-preconception stage. My fiance and I are getting married in April, but we've been together for ages and are ready to start a family in the next year or so. We're trying to do what we can ahead of time, to get things in line to be ready when we're "ready." (i.e. getting finances in line, taking care of lead pipes and potential lead paint in our hundred-year-old house).

So, I'm trying to do what I can to get physically prepared - I want to be healthy as I can, both heading into and through pregnancy, and set up for a healthy lifestyle with my future kids.

So, any comments on how best to set myself up for a healthy pregnancy? Obviously there's still a lot that's up to chance when it comes to childbirth, but there's obviously plenty to do to keep myself and the future kid on the best track.

I'm already working on the obvious - eat a healthy/balanced diet, exercise regularly, and work towards a healthy weight. I take a daily multi with iron and folate (which was the only real advice my gyno gave me when I asked what I should be doing at my checkup last week).

So, any advice?
Rock Chalk Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

No alcohol while you are trying to get prego. Didn't stop me any -- actually, I am pretty sure that's why I was pregnant.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

My advice it not to let anyone tell you that you cannot live a normal life once you get pregnant. I refused -- with all three of my pregnancies -- to waddle, act awkward, etc. Just keep getting exercise and spend a lot of time outside walking. After morning sickness wore off, I had sooo much energy. I used it! Nesting, nesting, nesting and more nesting. My house was so labeled and organized, it was crazy -- but it really made it easier when each of my kids arrived to have everything -- and I mean EVERYTHING -- in its place. I gardened. Danced around. Painted lots of rooms with non-toxic paint. Had enthusiastic, awkwardly-funny sex with my husband on a regular basis. Just take care of your body and trust in the fact that you have been genetically engineered for a whole lot of years to do this thing. It is really no sweat -- oh, except the puking part and the very end bit. But even those are so well worth it. Oh, and drink plenty of water. It is important anyway, but during pregnancy it is really important -- especially if you are going to be pretty active -- for keeping up the amniotic fluid levels around the baby...keeping it nice and safe.

Last edited by Schumeany; 09-16-2008 at 02:01 AM.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195 / 147 / 145

Height: 5'9"

Start taking folic acid even a few months before you start trying to conceive. It's really cheap!
LessEveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:38 AM   #5  
Goodbye Fat!

Like you said get your finances in line. What I did each week was cut a little back on the useless stuff at the grocery store and then add money to a giftcard. So once the baby came I had quite a diaper stash saved up on the giftcard.
dollypie is offline   Reply With Quote