Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-12-2008, 05:29 PM   #1  

Default Why would I do something so stupid?

So I go to lunch today with my son..... I figured I would have a slice of cheese pizza and I would just eat the cheese off the pizza since I'm now allowed to eat cheese. Well my son gets our pizza for me and out of habit got me a soda. I must admit I was a major pepsiholic. I always figured that would be the hardest part of this for me. I've actually done fine, mainly because I'm drinking so much water I'm not thirsty for soda. So anyway.... I'm eating my cheese and it's very good and everything is fine. Then I"m really thirsty and I figure I'll take the tiniest little sip of the coke. I even tell myself this is going to make me sick as a dog but then I'll never be tempted again. Nothing..... so I take a couple more tiny itty bitty sips.....nothing. A couple more.....nothing!!!! Even if I don't have the dumping syndrome you would think the carbonation on my tender little pouch would have been horrible.
Is it possible I just didn't take in enough to make me sick? They were tiny little sips but I still can't believe it did nothing to me. I really wanted it to because I don't want to be tempted to go back to soda.
So I actually made 3 huge errors today.....drinking soda, drinking with a meal and using a straw. Barely a week out and I'm already doing such dumb things. UGH
jujubeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:04 PM   #2  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Honey, no...just don't do it. Why throw all that you fought to get from WLS right out the window. Take this time to get your body used to NOT eating pizza or sipping coke or whatever...even if you can eat it, don't. Give your body a chance to heal or readjust to eating well, you will thank yourself later.

Now for the arguements!

I heard that carbonated drinks have been connected to Kidney Stones, more so in GBP patients and the gas involved can stretch the pouch. Drinking while you eat can take away from how much protein you can eat at that meal and can "force" the food through the exit of the pouch causing pain and stretching the exit. I have never heard of Pizza having enough protein for the amount of volume eaten.

Now...I will say that I have eaten and done stuff that I wish I hadn't and I am only saying what I learned in hindsight. We are humans and make mistakes, I just try to see that I am still trying and have not as of yet given up.

There, I'll be quiet.

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 09-12-2008 at 06:18 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:44 PM   #3  

Thank you Angela, you're absolutely right. Although I didn't think I was really doing anything that bad with the pizza. I only ate the cheese off it. Scraped most all the sauce off that and of course, didn't touch the crust. I know I'm allowed mozzarella cheese and figured it was ok to eat it melted. None the less I did only manage 3 small bites of it. Not something I intend to do everyday but it was nice to be able to eat something out.

My biggest fear right now is that it didn't make me sick so I'm going to keep testing the waters. I've actually been ok without soda because I haven't been thirsty. But, unfortunately, I do get very thirsty when I eat. I know I can't drink 30 minutes before and an hour after. How do you deal with that? I now think this might just be my biggest obstacle.
jujubeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:59 PM   #4  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

OHHHH I did the cheese off the pizza thing! I thought you meant...

I was told, 15 before and 30 after but there are some that would say that even that is a bit of an arguement among drs. Some say drink, others say no. Me? I find that if i drink right before or about 15 - 20 minutes after, I feel the pain of it being pushed through...very uncomortable. In the beginning I would throw up if I pushed it.

This not drinking before, during and after eating was my BIGGEST hardship after surgery. I drank gallons a day before hand and suffered greatly when I had to wait...sipping and all. It's so much better now and I have learned a few tricks now that I'm 7 months out. I try to eat something along with my protein, veggies or fruit and eat those between bites. I find that a little bit of sauce on a piece of meat goes a long way in helping me not be thirsty. Be careful it's early for you...you don't want to hurt anything...listen closely to your body, follow as closely as you can to the guildlines your dr gave you and you will do fine...it just keeps getting better and better.

I say we follow what we are told the best we can but we can't help but push it a bit to find the limits...we are humans. Just don't push too hard, we all want the best result possible from this. AND, pushing can lead to "dumping"...it happens to a lot of us and THAT is NOT fun!!! I am here to tell you!

You're doing great honey, no worries!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 09-13-2008 at 03:33 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:26 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

juju - you've come face-to-face with the START of the real issues we gotta deal with to make this all work for us. as angela said, we have a lot of old habits to break - and it takes time and attention.

now, having said that. please stop pushing the envelope. you're playing 'i dare you' right now - pushing your limits, trying to see if what everyone said is true. STOP DOING IT!!!!! trust me on this - first of all, you WILL find out the hard way. and maybe you need to do that - we ALL have gone overboard one way or the other and found out that all the warnings were right.

but it's also about making changes for the better- and NOT about trying to figure out how to outsmart the surgery so you can go back to your old ways.

you've learned a great lesson here - and your mind is in the right place. you can do this. you can absolutely move on from here.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:33 PM   #6  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Juju
I'm 2 years out and technically i can drink a soda sometimes. . .but I don't it realy messes your system! order an unsweet iced tea then sweeten on your own (it helps to bring your own sweetener)
Soda really messes me up
KO is offline   Reply With Quote